FTO MIVEC not kicking...I am mechanic but could solve...HELP...

nathanraja45

May 26, 2011
Selangor
Hi guys,

I am a mechanic,basically i repair buses,lorries,and i can easily transplant engines but im not really good in diagnosing mivec problem

My car is FTO,bought 8 months ago, transplanted the engine to DOHC V6 MIVEC 2.0 (DE3A 6A12)...the problem im facing is MIVEC is not kicking in and rpm rev limits at 6.500...Here are the thing i have done to solve the problem but failed...

1) Checked ECU diagnostic...It said knock sensor(aka mivec solenoid)...I changed the knock sensor with my old engine but mivec still doesnt
function
2) Checked the temperature sensor...MIVEC wont get activated if the engine is cold, so i change the temp sensor that
connects to the ECU(the gauge u see in the dash meter is different sensor compared to the sensor that ECU reads)...still
no luck
3) Thought that it might be inefficient burning...changed the spark plugs to iridium onces...No luck
4) Tried to reset ECU many times...No luck

The last i am going to try is, im gonna change the alternator...Previously my mivec was working fine, i have a feeling that it started failing after i recently changed my alternator...MIVEC engines has 4 pin from alternator...2 pins is to charge, another 2 pins is to activate mivec through ECU...That is y non mivec DOHC V6 2.0 only has 2 pin alternator...This is my last try...gonna do it in 2 more weeks time...Currently my alternator is 4 pins...Charging well,idle when engine started about 13.8V...According to the forums i searched, the said well charging alternator doesnt mean will send signals to mivec...

Anyone here had any similar problem and any idea of how to solve my MIVEC issue...Will be very glad if any of u guys can help me...

Thanking you in advance.

sarutobi84

Known Member
Aug 12, 2009
Johor Bahru
swift-turbo-malaysia.blogspot.sg
Bro your mivec is in limp mode.Got Rev Cut
If you do ECU diagnostic knocking sensor will show CODE 31 as shown below,I don't thinks knock sensor is the same as MIVEC Solenoid.Anyway below is knock sensor.I have 1 spare if you want.PM Me.

Detonation Sensor/Knock Sensor

CODE ITEM
11 Oxygen Sensor
12 Air Flow Sensor
13 Intake air temperature sensor
14 Throttle position sensor
15 ISC Motor Position Sensor
21 Engine coolant temperature sensor
22 Crank angle sensor
23 Camshaft position sensor
24 Vehicle speed sensor
25 BARO Sensor (listed as 26 in one info source)
31 Detonation sensor
32 Vacuum sensor
36 Ignition Timing Adjustment Signal
39 Oxygen Sensor
41 Injector system
42 Fuel Pump
43 EGR
44 Ignition coil and power transistor unit (Cylinder 1 & 4)
52 Ignition coil and power transistor unit (Cylinder 2 & 5)
53 Ignition coil and power transistor unit (Cylinder 3 & 6)
55 Idle Air Control Valve/Servo Valve Position Sensor
61 Communications wire with A/T-ECU
62 Intake air control valve position sensor
64 Alternator FR terminal
71 Vacuum control solenoid valve (TCL)
72 Ventilation control solenoid valve (TCL)

Attachments

steven7810

mivec user
Oct 12, 2004
kuala lumpur
Hello....Nathan... Ur location is where... If u in kl or pj try call is guy...he repair Mivec ECU ... 012-2338137...

khoo198

1,500 RPM
Feb 11, 2009
N9
sometime it could be just some minor wiring faulty oni....

(ADVAN)

500 RPM
May 11, 2005
K.L
check your speed sensor on your gearbox and wiring that give the speed signal to your ECU.
i have same problem previously but finally i found out is the speed wiring doesnt join properly when i installed the speed meter..

nathanraja45

May 26, 2011
Selangor
Bro your mivec is in limp mode.Got Rev Cut
If you do ECU diagnostic knocking sensor will show CODE 31 as shown below,I don't thinks knock sensor is the same as MIVEC Solenoid.Anyway below is knock sensor.I have 1 spare if you want.PM Me.

Detonation Sensor/Knock Sensor

CODE ITEM
11 Oxygen Sensor
12 Air Flow Sensor
13 Intake air temperature sensor
14 Throttle position sensor
15 ISC Motor Position Sensor
21 Engine coolant temperature sensor
22 Crank angle sensor
23 Camshaft position sensor
24 Vehicle speed sensor
25 BARO Sensor (listed as 26 in one info source)
31 Detonation sensor
32 Vacuum sensor
36 Ignition Timing Adjustment Signal
39 Oxygen Sensor
41 Injector system
42 Fuel Pump
43 EGR
44 Ignition coil and power transistor unit (Cylinder 1 & 4)
52 Ignition coil and power transistor unit (Cylinder 2 & 5)
53 Ignition coil and power transistor unit (Cylinder 3 & 6)
55 Idle Air Control Valve/Servo Valve Position Sensor
61 Communications wire with A/T-ECU
62 Intake air control valve position sensor
64 Alternator FR terminal
71 Vacuum control solenoid valve (TCL)
72 Ventilation control solenoid valve (TCL)
OMG...Bro!....from the beginning the ECU diagnostic was showing knock sensor faulty CODE 31...i thought all this while,knock sensor is solenoid sensor...I found the location of the sensor that u posted from my spare engine...Next weekend i will be opening up d engine again...will update u after i replace it...bro if it really works i owe u big time man...

---------- Post added at 07:37 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:35 PM ----------

Hello....Nathan... Ur location is where... If u in kl or pj try call is guy...he repair Mivec ECU ... 012-2338137...
hey bro,thanx for ur reply...sarutobi84 just posted me the picture of knock sensor...I havent tried changing it...i will change it,and if it still fails,i think i will go for the ecu...

---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:37 PM ----------

check your speed sensor on your gearbox and wiring that give the speed signal to your ECU.
i have same problem previously but finally i found out is the speed wiring doesnt join properly when i installed the speed meter..
Alright bro...i will check that too...i will let u know next weekend after i check...thanx for ur reply man...

nathanraja45

May 26, 2011
Selangor
Back to square one...I replaced the knock sensor with my previous engine's knock sensor but no luck...STILL RPM CUTTING AT 6500...Im giving up already...Anyone with any other solution?Is it possible that the knock sensor from my previous engine is also faulty because after changing the knock sensor and did ECU diagnostic...SAME ERROR...KNOCK SENSOR...help guys...thanx...

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
have u checked if there is any signal in the knock sensor wires? worth a check since there are two knock sensors dat doesnt work, highly not likely

nathanraja45

May 26, 2011
Selangor
have u checked if there is any signal in the knock sensor wires? worth a check since there are two knock sensors dat doesnt work, highly not likely
Hey bro,how can i check whether the sensor is working?Because if im not mistaken it will send the signal to the ECU at 5,500 rpm right?Do i have to connnect the earth to the battery terminal,then connect the positive terminal to the wire coming out from knock sensor and rev my engine above 5,500rpm?

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
knock sensor works on all revv sir, just check whether there is any signal from the wires

zane_al

Known Member
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Dude, you've to make sure engine is warm i.e. hot enough before flooring the mivec - otherwise it's a no-go-joe.

nathanraja45

May 26, 2011
Selangor
Hi guys,my MIVEC is temporarily working after i adjusted my tappets...But i dont think this is the solution of my problem...I think im just lucky...Everyone says in FTO (de3a) engine,this kinda problem is most of the time caused by alternator...Anyone agree?Should i try changing my alternator?

zane_al

Known Member
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hi guys,my MIVEC is temporarily working after i adjusted my tappets...But i dont think this is the solution of my problem...I think im just lucky...Everyone says in FTO (de3a) engine,this kinda problem is most of the time caused by alternator...Anyone agree?Should i try changing my alternator?
Agreed dude, afterall it shouldn't cost all that much.
Call Erwin 03 62583232 for the price.
And don't forget to report back.