Reduce RPM during highway cruising

spwn

Jun 8, 2006
Hi all,

I have a question for you guys. I'm driving and AE111 Corolla '99 manual stock condition. Highway speed at 110km/h and the tachometer reads 3100rpm. Is there mod to reduce the rpm at these speeds like to 2500rpm or lower?

I read that V6 engines or higher torque engines would cruise better on the highway as they can ride the 'torque curve' and translates to better fuel economy. Not sure about this. I drive on the highway most of the time and not a heavy footer. Anything I can do the same with this Corolla of mine?

Swap in 7AFE? Change final drive?

:adore::adore::adore:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
change final drive...

or easier way is to use bigger rim+thicker tyre profile...

(speedo readingXrpm still same but actual u were faster than before)

hachiroku clan

500 RPM
Oct 16, 2008
1 question: C52 g/box is it a close ratio or normal ratio?
im getting around 3100rpm at 110km/h too
whats the rpm reading on a C56 or C160 (at 110km/h)?
just wanna know :)

FGT

500 RPM
May 19, 2007
Hi all,

I have a question for you guys. I'm driving and AE111 Corolla '99 manual stock condition. Highway speed at 110km/h and the tachometer reads 3100rpm. Is there mod to reduce the rpm at these speeds like to 2500rpm or lower?

I read that V6 engines or higher torque engines would cruise better on the highway as they can ride the 'torque curve' and translates to better fuel economy. Not sure about this. I drive on the highway most of the time and not a heavy footer. Anything I can do the same with this Corolla of mine?

Swap in 7AFE? Change final drive?

:adore::adore::adore:
Hey bro..when was the last time you change your clutch set? A slipping clutch could be the cause of that also..

4AFE should be within 2500-2800rpm at 110kmh. I'm sure it's eating your petrol at 3100rpm..

All the best!

spwn

Jun 8, 2006
Forgot to mention i'm running a 4AFE but all sifu here should be well familiar with '99 AE!!! Corollla :p Sorry for missing this out :D

^pomen_GTR^: so i guess i have bigger rims then can have lower RPM at that speed, since if i keep speed at constant, rpm should drop? cool! So my overall tyre diameter should be increased correct? then need to recalibrate the speedometer rite?

FGT: I last changed it close to 1 year back, well not me but my dad. As far as clutch is concerned, most of the time when start off with 1st gear car can mati engine and engine shaking is common. Is it because of cheap clutch? jeng jeng jeng... BTW my FC is around 330km for city driving, 400km for mixed..i remember i used to get 600km on full highway when I first got the car. Any clutch brands to recommend?

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Forgot to mention i'm running a 4AFE but all sifu here should be well familiar with '99 AE!!! Corollla :p Sorry for missing this out :D

^pomen_GTR^: so i guess i have bigger rims then can have lower RPM at that speed, since if i keep speed at constant, rpm should drop? cool! So my overall tyre diameter should be increased correct? then need to recalibrate the speedometer rite?

yep u need to recalibrate your speedo....

but if u tight on budget then no need to recalibrate....instead u would notice that when you use bigger overall diameter tyre,you would see the car was moving faster compared with the current tyre..even the rpm and speed on the meter was remain same as before.. :adore:

spwn

Jun 8, 2006
^pomen_GTR^: kekeke then any idea how much need to pay and where to recalibrate speedo? keke dont want to kena speed trap :driver:

btw bigger overall diamater means acceleration will suffer? low speed FC will be higher? :adore:

FGT

500 RPM
May 19, 2007
] I last changed it close to 1 year back, well not me but my dad. As far as clutch is concerned, most of the time when start off with 1st gear car can mati engine and engine shaking is common. Is it because of cheap clutch? jeng jeng jeng... BTW my FC is around 330km for city driving, 400km for mixed..i remember i used to get 600km on full highway when I first got the car. Any clutch brands to recommend?
Engine shaking is probably because of worn out engine mountings.

Engine dying at 1st gear could be the clutch. Do you feel that you have to release the clutch pedal almost to the end only that your car moves up to speed? If yes, worn out clutch is a strong possibility. But this thing is kind of hard to say because you having driven your car most of the time won't really notice it. But hey, it's still worth mentioning. Heheh..

Wear and tear of a clutch depends on how you drive your car. Some people like to "ride" their clutch longer before taking their foot off the pedal, and some people even make the clutch pedal their footrest..heheh -- this will result in faster wear.

I always believe that original parts are designed to suit the particular car so yea, Toyota original ones should do the trick. If you can'f get Toyota ones or maybe it's too expensive for some reason, go for Aisin or Exedy which are equally good. :D

Disclaimer: Just talking based on my own exp. Get your trustworthy mech to test before changing. :)

Last edited:

ragerunner

Known Member
Mar 1, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
AFAIK, using thicker tires that make your wheels larger in diameter makes your speedometer display a lower speed than you are actually travelling at. That means, using your new, bigger tires, you may be travelling at 100km/h but your speedo is showing only 90km/h.

I'm not sure how tire size affects the rpm at which you are cruising at a constant speed, but if you use those gear ratio to speed calculators (there are loads of'em online), they require you to key in your tire size too.

I'm not sure about changing final drive, but I think changing to 7AFE is an overkill. You'd probably be spending more, even in the long run. You'll be better off spending that money on a 4AGE (6 speed with sweeter ratios and final drive: better for cruising too, if I'm not mistaken :nurse::nurse:)

FGT

500 RPM
May 19, 2007
AFAIK, using thicker tires that make your wheels larger in diameter makes your speedometer display a lower speed than you are actually travelling at. That means, using your new, bigger tires, you may be travelling at 100km/h but your speedo is showing only 90km/h.
That's right. It will not solve the root problem.. (No offense pomen_GTR! :biggrin:)

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
I think you should check your clutch, speedo or racho meter. My AE111 4AFE auto does 2.2k rpm at 100km/h.

I heard the manual version does 2.5k rpm at 100km/h.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
FGT..u got me..haha :biggrin:

spwn

Jun 8, 2006
thanks a lot on the feedback guys :adore::adore::adore:

I was reading up on the 6 speed thread and there were a lot of mentions on lower rpm during cruising on a 6spd gearbox. Also on the insanely high 4AFE consumption thread, a problematic ECU would be the cause. I guess I should check out all these options.

Taking a look at Mercedes, they have lotsa gears, big wheels, lotsa torque so i guess I should combine all and have a monster of a highway machine! hahaha :p 7AFE + 6spd + Bigger Tyres :driver: <-- :stupid: :biggrin: but so far the cheapest option is to swap final drive for my 5spd gearbox right?

Anyone has a stock standard 4AFE 5spd doing 2.5k RPM at 110km/h?

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
errrr...to think it back...2.5k rpm @110km/h was not bat at all....

coz my 1.6satria (A) cruise 120km/h@3k rpm.....(manual has higher rpm if not mistaken)

---------- Post added at 10:13 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:13 AM ----------

errrr...to think it back...2.5k rpm @110km/h was not bat at all....

coz my 1.6satria (A) cruise 120km/h@3k rpm.....(manual has higher rpm if not mistaken)

FGT

500 RPM
May 19, 2007
FGT..u got me..haha :biggrin:
Haha no worries! Everyone has their rightful own opinion :D

Bro spwn: Err..okay, now I'm not really sure of your intention.. Are you looking to fix your cruising rpm or upgrade the engine? Coz IMHO, I don't think it makes sense to get a bigger displacement engine just for the lower cruising rpm. Normally people do it for POWERRRRR..heheh

Anyways, yup, 4AFE 5spd doing 2.5k RPM at 110km/h is a healthy 4AFE :D

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dear Friends

I am looking for brand new toyota 1995 supra engine.
Is there such a market for new engines of old model cars?

Does anyone manufacture these nowadays?

How about reconditioned engines that perform like new?

Sorry if my questions are naive.

I am not expert in this area.

regards
Richard Tan:driver:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience