What is importance between torque and horsepower?

Dayline668

1,500 RPM
Aug 4, 2007
KL
Balance lo... low torque will slow on corner exit, low housepower will slow on stright line. All depend on which track diff setting. On our ''sepang'' i prefer more horses.

lozo

500 RPM
Sep 26, 2004
Petaling Jaya
Visit site
horsepower is the amount of torque produced per unit time. therefore its incomparable.

the torque curve is the most important aspect in engine performance.

n0th1n

1,000 RPM
Feb 7, 2005
japan
junk-dealer.blogspot.com
lozo is talking now!!!! power

BBRAYCER

3,000 RPM
Jan 8, 2009
KL
www.bbraycers.com
TORQUE is the amount of force the engine can provide. HP is the amount of work it can do.

analogy : torque is like : you can lift a 20 Kg bucket. HP is your stamina that you can lift a 20 Kg bucket 10 times in 1 minute.

i.e. torque is something you feel when your car accelerate. HP is something you talk about during teh tarik.. hehehe.... peace..
HP limit is felt when your engine run out of breath....

AE75

Known Member
Feb 10, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
TORQUE is the amount of force the engine can provide. HP is the amount of work it can do.

analogy : torque is like : you can lift a 20 Kg bucket. HP is your stamina that you can lift a 20 Kg bucket 10 times in 1 minute.

i.e. torque is something you feel when your car accelerate. HP is something you talk about during teh tarik.. hehehe.... peace..
HP limit is felt when your engine run out of breath....

About your statement above, I can see it interlink with the shifting point too. Isn't it?

nurburing

Known Member
Feb 21, 2010
Penang
in my point of view, higher torque at lower rpm will always beat cars without torque in lower rpm. however this have to be sync with the gear ratio provided. previously my car was running on a normal oem gear ratio and it canot tarik much, so I tuned my engine for more torque power band, from 2000rpm pulls to 5000rpm, after that the torque ends and the HP kicks in. but now that i changed to close ratio, my 1,2,3 gears are meant to pull to 8000rpm, I retuned my engine to pull from 3000rpm all the way to 8000rpm, hence my torque were lower and more mid end and hp.

so to get to 0-100kmh, and 0-160kmh in a desired time...... matching the gear ratio provided, torque n hp importance may be vary.

so its about tuning, but in laymen terms torque is more important than hp.

Last edited:

j_l200s

Dec 16, 2004
think i read this somewhere before. u shift at the end of your hp meaning at the end of ur stamina. NOT at the end of your torque. if u shift the the end of your hp (just before it drops), u'll end up at ur peak torque on ur following gear which means perfect shift (just like when u play NFS :p). just my 2 cents...

AE75

Known Member
Feb 10, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Well~ Let say a diesel car where always have huge torque and less HP VS with a petrol car which normally is has less torque but have more HP. So in this situation which 1 have higher opportunity to win a lap?

Waiora_ProTuner

500 RPM
Nov 29, 2006
Well~ Let say a diesel car where always have huge torque and less HP VS with a petrol car which normally is has less torque but have more HP. So in this situation which 1 have higher opportunity to win a lap?
the one with the higher torque on wheel at the same velocity...

GasPedal

Known Member
Jun 18, 2008
Horsepower is torque times engine speed ...........(horsepower = torque x rpm)/5252.
Example let us compare supercharged Toyota 1.6 4AGZE vs Honda 1.6 B16A VTEC.

4AGZE power is 168hp at 6400rpm n torque 210nm,
while B16A has 174hp at 7800rpm n torque 150nm.
Looking at hp, B16A is slightly better, but looking at torque, B16A is hopeless,
but during drag race between near stock engine, B16A will win more than 4AGZE, why?
Coz B16A horsepower is better than 4AGZE, so it has more pulling power,
eventhough its torque is very low.
And look closely as its max power rpm, due to its low torque, B16A need to rev much higher to match power on bigger torque engine (refer equation above).

So there are two factor to influence your engine pulling power (horsepower) =
high torque (big cc, turbo, supercharged) example 4AGZE, 4G93T, B8T 210, SR20DET, 4G63T or
high engine rev (high redline) example B series VTEC, 1.6 MIVEC, K20A I-VTEC.

thanks

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Anybody got this installed?...is it ok?...coz im comtemplating on either GAB soft hard hi lo or Kayaba RS Pro hi lo...significant difference in pricing...GAB @ 2.2k n the Kayaba @ 1.3k++..some of my frens recommended me to go with kayaba as it is not that stiff compare to GAB (note: wife n small baby sometimes ride with me)...

Need advice...thanx..:biggrin:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience