1JZtezza

Known Member
Sep 26, 2008
hi,

For the teins:assuming 3sg Beams I would follow the uk spec ie
LEXUS*IS*SXE10*00-05

But for 1JZ prefer to follow US spec IS300:
LEXUS IS300

Note that the super street uses stiffer springs:12kg/10kg as oppose to the flex which uses 10kg/8kg

---------- Post added at 02:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 PM ----------

so.... meaning that after u be expert or veteran, u'll be going for hardcore suspension !?!
hehee..... :rofl:
hey mike u cucuk2 huh!...u wait sure kena kau2 cucuk back!!!:rofl::rofl:

So when gonna bring your tezza for TT-come lah tmn tasik selatan!!!:wavey:

AE111_SEG

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2005
Putra Heights
Adian
I heard from the Australian Altezza forum the stock spring rate is :
5 Kg\mm for Front.
5 Kg\mm for Rear.

---------- Post added at 03:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

so.... meaning that after u be expert or veteran, u'll be going for hardcore suspension !?!
hehee..... :rofl:

Ha ha ha no...... For the price I think Tein does the job well. Other coilover are very expensive or very hard or both. If I was going to sepang frequently then I would try Tein Type Flex or Mono Flex which has higher spring rating.

wfhan

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
selangor

hey mike u cucuk2 huh!...u wait sure kena kau2 cucuk back!!!:rofl::rofl:

So when gonna bring your tezza for TT-come lah tmn tasik selatan!!!:wavey:
if not cucuk2, how to get u guys in here to make things more happening !

Adian
I heard from the Australian Altezza forum the stock spring rate is :
5 Kg\mm for Front.
5 Kg\mm for Rear.

---------- Post added at 03:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

Ha ha ha no...... For the price I think Tein does the job well. Other coilover are very expensive or very hard or both. If I was going to sepang frequently then I would try Tein Type Flex or Mono Flex which has higher spring rating.
i just kidding la... your stock one keep as spare ?

aycy

3,000 RPM
Sep 6, 2006
Penang / Butterworth
www.facebook.com
hi,

For the teins:assuming 3sg Beams I would follow the uk spec ie
LEXUS*IS*SXE10*00-05

But for 1JZ prefer to follow US spec IS300:
LEXUS IS300

Note that the super street uses stiffer springs:12kg/10kg as oppose to the flex which uses 10kg/8kg

bro. as the website say -32mm f, and -25mm rear. this 1 is the reading from where to where?:stupid:

AE111_SEG

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2005
Putra Heights
[/QUOTE] i just kidding la... your stock one keep as spare ?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I am keeping as spare. My stock shocks I sold off already. Still in good condition.

stepwyew

Known Member
Feb 10, 2006
Yes the Teins surprised me in their comfort levels! Most coilover type suspension are always over damped!!

Back in my R3 days, I actually met wth Toshio Fujimoto, the MD of Tein at the Tokyo Auto Salon. We got as far as signing an MOU to test out a few Tein sets and have a joint collaboration, and he made a few trips down to see us. Unfortunately, the supply costs were too high to make commercial sense for a Proton enthusiast, so it didn't work out. But the Tein's build quality was very good and durability was close to OEM levels!

The problem is when the coilover suspension tuners dial-in too much rebound. Having rebound damping which is a bit harder on the low-speed damping improves driver confidence, as he 'feels' that the car is 'hugging the ground' as the unsprung weight (the wheel) pulls the car down over undulations. And they also stiffen the low-speed bump settings so that the car doesn't seem to 'fall into corners' when you turn-in.

Too much tho, and the ride becomes a joke (dont have to look far: Honda FD2 Type-R is a perfect example!!). Another example are almost all the locally made and tuned coilovers (Hotbits, Top Perfect, etc).

In the case of luxury cars like Lexus, they maintain the slightly stiff bump damping, but go softer on rebound so the car feels like it's 'gliding' over undulations. Which to some drivers also feels like it's 'wallowy'.

In general, you want to use as soft a spring as possible in order to maximise traction. You want the tyres to flow with the road, to always stick to the tarmac, not bump or skip over the imperfections. This goes too for all forms of competitive driving, be it circuit racing, rallying, or drifting. Unfortunately it has become a trend that the understanding for street racers is "harder is better". Which is the opposite of what you want.

Having said that, for road use and our cars which weigh anywhere between 1350kg to 1500kg (1JZ-GTE conversions wil probably end up weighing that much!) you'd want to run the 8kg/6kg combo that Tein does. With the 1JZ installed, probably 9kg to keep the front hooked up. And dial in some extra compression damping to suit.

Anyone know what the standard spring rate is for the Altezza?

Bro , one question , can the super street give continental feel while driving?

Thank in advance

1JZtezza

Known Member
Sep 26, 2008
sorry bro, have never owned continental car so dont know what the elusive 'continental feel' is like.
:rofl::rofl:

adian

Known Member
Nov 22, 2003
PJ
www.the-yeins.com
A peculiar but interesting question: "Continental feel"

Yes, there are different types of 'feels' in the Ride & Handling engineer's handbook.
Conti feel is typically 'taughter', where the car feel quite connected to the road, and is confidence-inspiring, and not very wallowy. However, Continental feel has been criticised in certain countries like America where they prefer a plush feel. Bump control is very very good, with good isolation from the cabin. The word for Conti feel is: supple

And having said that, there's the 'US feel', which is, well, soft and plush and wallowy!!

There's Japanese-feel. Japanese are softer in their damping, but somehow go a bit tighter in the rebound damping. It's a bit more comfortable on motorway cruising, softer on secondary ride (undulations). But again, a bit harder on primary ride (bumps and ruts). Jap feel is also more towards understeer, car is not as tight. In comparison, we like to say Jap feel is "unresolved".

As for the Teins giving Conti feel?? I dunno dude, that's all up to your own tuning of the springs and dampers! To me my HAs/Superstreet are simply: stiff! But they don't crash on the road, so still tolerable lah. Compared to other stuff I'd tried like HKS Hiper-D or Cusco!!

The best street dampers in the world are still Bilsteins. Followed by Konis. Their damping is absolutely superb! If you ever get a ride in a car with PSS9s fitted, you'll understand the term 'Brilliance'!!!

AE111_SEG

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2005
Putra Heights
Adian
You mentioned FD2R ride is a joke. Can you elaborate more. I heard due to lack of double wishbone the ride has been tune super hard just to live up to the type r name.:bawling:

wfhan

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
selangor
Adian
You mentioned FD2R ride is a joke. Can you elaborate more. I heard due to lack of double wishbone the ride has been tune super hard just to live up to the type r name.:bawling:
u r right.. man.

i think on m'sian road is jack hammer hammerring ur a$$.

stepwyew

Known Member
Feb 10, 2006
So Uncle,

now , do you understand what is conti feel or not hahahahaha...you got read what adian posted? .......u understand nw? hahahahahahaha

Well adian ,

I noted what u posted , and is informative
thanks bro,

cheers

Last edited:

AE111_SEG

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2005
Putra Heights
Folks,
After some fast runs in cameron highland over the weekend I have revised the H\S setting
Front : 6 (Clockwise)
Rear : 7 (Clockwise)

Quite simillar to Bro Green's setting.

I noticed there is a some body roll in the hard corners which I believe can be overcome fully by just adjusting the hardness of the absorber. But the downside is I will have to forego comfort in the process. I think upgrading the anti-roll bar (ARB) will be a better solution. Maintaining reasonable comfort with minimal body roll.

I am exploring in ugrading my anti roll bar. Anybody here have changed them.
Looking at TRD Sportivo or TRD Yellow. Any feedback on them. price etc ???.

Last edited:

green

Known Member
Apr 12, 2005
kl
yellow TRD anti rolls will probably cost you about rm2000 for front n rear.

yes with TRD anti rolls, your car becomes very chuckable around corners..especially with hard setting dampers.

however, pls bear in mind the TRD will sort off lock up both your suspension right n left and if you go thru uneven roads..you will experience car shudder(the anti roll bars are thick!!)

unless you have an EDFC to set the dampers down to soft on city driving, be prepared to feel your car chassis vibrate

tts why i took out mine and am waiting for my EDFC for my teins

a word of caution before proceeding.

aycy

3,000 RPM
Sep 6, 2006
Penang / Butterworth
www.facebook.com
i installed the yellow trd front and back anti roll bar few months ago. i get it 2nd almost rm800.
had the same feeling as bro green say. "however, pls bear in mind the TRD will sort off lock up both your suspension right n left and if you go thru uneven roads..you will experience car shudder(the anti roll bars are thick!!)" but no regret for getting it. work so well in corner. :)