Superstrut hell

Captain Fast

Known Member
Apr 9, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
I have gone through 2 sets of super strut suspension due to bearing failure and am now thinking about reverting back to my original macpherson strut suspension. I'm currently a twinpot user and I heard that the twinpot brakes from a super strut suspension can't be tranferred over to the macpherson strut due to knucke differences. I know there is a difference but if the knuckle were to be taken out from the original disk brakes and applied to the twinpot brakes shouldn't it work? Anyways, which of the two options here are better for the long run?

1) Fix the bearings
2) Change back to the original Macpherson setup

Thanks.

KHWONG

3,000 RPM
Jun 29, 2006
hey bro... welcome to SS family.. .

:adore::adore:dun say ss " HELL" la.. there are many members here using SS also which has pro n cons also la..

i had change few set of SS before also... cus that was wear n tear items ma.. sure need to change.May i know how long u change between every set?.

regarding the twin port.. is canot directly fitted into macpherson knuckle.. it need to modify the caliper bracket and skimming the disc to a bit smaller size..

For long RUn.. no need think.. chnage back to macpherson type.. easy... no need headache... and

suffering a bit handling....hahhaha

Captain Fast

Known Member
Apr 9, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
I think I change the set 5 months after using it. Modded my car in Jan. 10 months down the road and the problem is creeping up again.

Are you still using SS now? How long have you been using it? If I want to repair it, where is the best place to go and how much will it cost per bearing?

KHWONG

3,000 RPM
Jun 29, 2006
I think I change the set 5 months after using it. Modded my car in Jan. 10 months down the road and the problem is creeping up again.

Are you still using SS now? How long have you been using it? If I want to repair it, where is the best place to go and how much will it cost per bearing?
i used ss about 2 years lo.. change 1 set only for 2 years.. i think fair enufs..

which item u always problems? wat bearing u mentioned? or lower arms?

i normally DIY for my SS only. hahhaha

Captain Fast

Known Member
Apr 9, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
Its one of those lower arm bearings always making noise on uneven roads and going over bumps. Think I might be converting back to Macpherson. Too much trouble and repairs for me :) But just in case, roughly how much will it cost to repair the lower arm or figure 8 connecting joints?

BDK8671

Known Member
Nov 14, 2007
wat the different between macpherson Vs SS ...in term in handling ? ....really big different ? ....:hmmmm:

Captain Fast

Known Member
Apr 9, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
i think i read from somewhere that SS actually keeps an even contact patch no matter the orientation of the tyres (cornering or straight) when weight transfer happens as compared to a slightly distorted contact patch from macpherson. to those in the know, please feel free to correct me. this is just my 2 cents. :)

KHWONG

3,000 RPM
Jun 29, 2006
Its one of those lower arm bearings always making noise on uneven roads and going over bumps. Think I might be converting back to Macpherson. Too much trouble and repairs for me :) But just in case, roughly how much will it cost to repair the lower arm or figure 8 connecting joints?
canot repair.. only can change to halfcut item.. u cant find new parts as i know.. ahahha

izzit lower arm ball joint u mentioned?

levin818

1,000 RPM
Nov 29, 2003
Shah Alam
Visit site
Mine also around 2 years no problem at all.
Before that really hell... but after replace the lower arm by using clamp tools, no more premature problem!
If you use hammer to open the SS, you will damage the lower arm joins' rubber cover without notice.
And during rainy days, the join will get kill by the rain water.

Captain Fast

Known Member
Apr 9, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
Mine also around 2 years no problem at all.
Before that really hell... but after replace the lower arm by using clamp tools, no more premature problem!
If you use hammer to open the SS, you will damage the lower arm joins' rubber cover without notice.
And during rainy days, the join will get kill by the rain water.
Yeah...I know this issue...that's why I'm searching for workshops that do this kinda repair without resorting to too much brute force...anyways, I'll be reverting back to the original Macpherson so if there is anyone out there that wants to fix it and try SS, just give me PM! Hehe!

Captain Fast

Known Member
Apr 9, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
canot repair.. only can change to halfcut item.. u cant find new parts as i know.. ahahha

izzit lower arm ball joint u mentioned?
Nope. Its more to do with the link from the absorber to the lower arm. Not sure which part it is though but its giving a metallic sound everytime I go over bumps or uneven roads.

KHWONG

3,000 RPM
Jun 29, 2006
yup.. as bro levin 818 said.. those lower arm joint is the annoying parts which always killed by damaged cover..hahhahah

proper tools is important.. but if u know proper way to use hammer also will do. hahahha

good luck to u bro....

Nobody
Helmet Clan
Dec 21, 2005
CF,send ur car to khwong & he will do the rest :adore:

KHWONG

3,000 RPM
Jun 29, 2006
CF,send ur car to khwong & he will do the rest :adore:
:stupid::stupid:wah...

u think me open workshop ar...hahhahahahah

i only do my car ....... ahaa

AE101-Wong

4,000 RPM
Jul 26, 2006
Kuala Lumpur
if u're the lazy owner or use ur car in rough way mc pherson suspension system is more suitable for u..:biggrin:
1 set of mc pherson crossmember not very expensive only..it comes with lower arm too!:biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

A high grade Tupperware

Measure the K&N filter size, make sure it fit

Use Spray paint to mark the shape pattern of the carburetor base

Base pattern marked

Use fire to heat up a nail to cut...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience