Recommendation: Turbocharger for 4B11 N.A engine

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Dear All,

Butt itchy, after few weeks honing in my Lancer with M/T transmission, everything feels good and i am going to take my sweet time to gather turbocharging parts. First, i would need to select turbocharger which i am quite clueless on this. My 4B11 NA engine compression is well ok, above 120 PSI in all cylinders. Compression ratio rated at 10:0:1, will decrease it with thicker head gasket. Below are the list of turbos that i can gather within my reach:

1.) OEM Ralliart TDO4HL-14T
2.) Borg Warner KKK03 Turbo (from a Audi A4 1.8T)
3.) Garret AR60 M24 N-1 (should be from a SR20DET or RB25DET NEO)
4.) Volvo K24 Turbo (from a Volvo S60 MK I 2.3 Turbo)
5.) TD05HR-16G (from an Evo 8 GSR)

First off i am building the turbo kit with low to moderate budget. Many would suggest me to get a set of full Ralliart art turbo kit, which i am not willing to pay for it because thanks to some jackasses, the prices for these kits are ridiculously high now.

Before i start with my manifold, i would need a turbo first. Kindly share your views and perhaps suggest the right turbo. Manifold will be hand made by a secret sifu.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
ralliart turbokit~ noneed to scratch head...
I already mentioned i don't want to as lots of jokers profiteering from this kit. I rather scratch my head and build one myself with the spec i want, and control the cost on my own.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Dear All,

Butt itchy, after few weeks honing in my Lancer with M/T transmission, everything feels good and i am going to take my sweet time to gather turbocharging parts. First, i would need to select turbocharger which i am quite clueless on this. My 4B11 NA engine compression is well ok, above 120 PSI in all cylinders. Compression ratio rated at 10:0:, will decrease it with thicker head gasket. Below are the list of turbos that i can gather within my reach:

1.) OEM Ralliart TDO4HL-14T
2.) Borg Warner KKK03 Turbo (from a Audi A4 1.8T)
3.) Garret AR60 M24 N-1 (should be from a SR20DET or RB25DET NEO)
4.) Volvo K24 Turbo (from a Volvo S60 MK I 2.3 Turbo)
5.) TD05HR-16G (from an Evo 8 GSR)

First off i am building the turbo kit with low to moderate budget. Many would suggest me to get a set of full Ralliart art turbo kit, which i am not willing to pay for it because thanks to some jackasses, the prices for these kits are ridiculously high now.

Before i start with my manifold, i would need a turbo first. Kindly share your views and perhaps suggest the right turbo. Manifold will be hand made by a secret sifu.
Are these the only turbos you looking at?

Personally I don't know all the turbos here but iirc the #2 and #4 are tiny turbos.

"I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll... run out of breath"

#5 iirc is not ball bearing and potentially will need servicing before installation.

Tbh I'd just buy whichever suites the budget and is in the best condition. All 5 of these turbos performance wise is pretty similar.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Why not get half cut turbo and manifold ex Evo 10? That should be plug and play so saves cost in custom piping. Evo 10 turbo is same size as Evo 9 if not mistaken so would give pretty good power already.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Are these the only turbos you looking at?

Personally I don't know all the turbos here but iirc the #2 and #4 are tiny turbos.

"I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll... run out of breath"

#5 iirc is not ball bearing and potentially will need servicing before installation.

Tbh I'd just buy whichever suites the budget and is in the best condition. All 5 of these turbos performance wise is pretty similar.
Hi, not exactly, i am still looking into other turbos chopped from other cars. Particularly i am very interested with the Garret AR50 M24 N-1, which said to be quite responsive with satisfactory power gain. I am forecasting about 80hp on this little snail.

Last edited:

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Why not get half cut turbo and manifold ex Evo 10? That should be plug and play so saves cost in custom piping. Evo 10 turbo is same size as Evo 9 if not mistaken so would give pretty good power already.
The price for said Evo X kit is even more ridiculous to Ralliart. Fortunately i am able to get my hands on a Evo X Intake Manifold cheap though.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hi, not exactly, i am still looking into other turbos chopped from other cars. Particularly i am very interested with the Garret AR50 M24 N-1, which said to be quite responsive if satisfactory power gain. I am forecasting about 80hp on this little snail.
What's your target power?

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
The price for said Evo X kit is even more ridiculous to Ralliart. Fortunately i am able to get my hands on a Evo X Intake Manifold cheap though.
Really? Never pay attention evo 10 stuff but the 9 turbo is usually under 2k complete with manifold so I thought the 10 should be similar price range.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Really? Never pay attention evo 10 stuff but the 9 turbo is usually under 2k complete with manifold so I thought the 10 should be similar price range.
Freaking Evo X complete kit at 8K now, and ppl won't sell loose as its too good to profiteer from.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
wow I see you like living dangerously. hahahaha
I will dial down once it hits that figure, just for the sheer pleasure. Plenty of NA Lancers running 240 ATW and the stock engine is still alive and well !

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Freaking Evo X complete kit at 8K now, and ppl won't sell loose as its too good to profiteer from.
That's ridiculous! Can buy a new turbo for that price.

Target 250ps at the crank, about 220 ATW. Won't go any higher as clutch won't hold.
Ok not too high, no need big turbo. FWD cannot take too much power anyway.

I will dial down once it hits that figure, just for the sheer pleasure. Plenty of NA Lancers running 240 ATW and the stock engine is still alive and well !
Sure or not 2.0 NA can reach that high??? Even 240 at the crank is already hard to believe.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

My car is a 72 Ford
1600cc singal cam,7.5+- comp.ratio,running on carburator,no ECU

all sifu...
can i bolt on turbo on tis engine???
wat the size of the turbo???
need to change piston???
can carbie tahan the boost???or need to modify to injection using those stane-alone ECU???
can tell me wat parts i need for bolt on turbo???
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience