Car startup issue

brokenjars

Known Member
Jun 7, 2012
Kedah
My car if shutoff for too long it will have this one small issue. Basically after shutoff for >8 hours, on first start up it will always die immediately if i didnt press the gas a bit. To prevent this everytime after shutoff for more than 8 hours, when i turn the key need to give it a bit of gas then only ok.

If shutoff for short period, this issue wont happen. Any thought?

Car is a nissan sentra with na sr20ve engine.

Thanks

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
My car if shutoff for too long it will have this one small issue. Basically after shutoff for >8 hours, on first start up it will always die immediately if i didnt press the gas a bit. To prevent this everytime after shutoff for more than 8 hours, when i turn the key need to give it a bit of gas then only ok.

Thanks
does your car have any sort of icv? sounds like a cold start issue.

brokenjars

Known Member
Jun 7, 2012
Kedah
does your car have any sort of icv? sounds like a cold start issue.
I dont think its the icv issue. The car idles fine during cold or after warm up. Very solid idle. Just the first start up after sleeping too long it will stumble. Also the car starts easily everytime.

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
I dont think its the icv issue. The car idles fine during cold or after warm up. Very solid idle. Just the first start up after sleeping too long it will stumble. Also the car starts easily everytime.
fuel pump possible? try leave the car in on for abit before cranking?

leinnz

Known Member
Sep 28, 2005
what was change recently before the issue happen?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

Thanks
My VR same problem for years already, so just need to gas a bit then will idle properly.......lol

brokenjars

Known Member
Jun 7, 2012
Kedah
what was change recently before the issue happen?
Since last time is like that hahaha. Even after full overhaul last year also like that lol. Suspect is nozzle clogged or leaking (where to do nozzle ultrasonic In penang?)

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

Thanks
Does your SR20 transplant come with a coolant temperature sensor? What ECU are you using? There's two possibilities I can see that's causing this.

1. A faulty coolant temperature sensor that's reading wrongly during cold start hence when you give it some gas the thing straightens out. Once the car is going you're able to idle without holding the gas? You only need to blip the gas?

2. A faulty or going to be faulty fuel regulator and/or fuel pump. How old is your regulator and pump? Maybe it's just time.

brokenjars

Known Member
Jun 7, 2012
Kedah
Does your SR20 transplant come with a coolant temperature sensor? What ECU are you using? There's two possibilities I can see that's causing this.

1. A faulty coolant temperature sensor that's reading wrongly during cold start hence when you give it some gas the thing straightens out. Once the car is going you're able to idle without holding the gas? You only need to blip the gas?

2. A faulty or going to be faulty fuel regulator and/or fuel pump. How old is your regulator and pump? Maybe it's just time.
1. Comes with coolant temp sensor. Reading is correct so far, after idle 1-2 minute the temperature will slowly goes up. The car idles fine even when very cold. Just when starting give it a blip of gas, and it will start right up and idles fine. If didnt give blip it will crank a bit more, around 6 turns before start n dies immediately after. Normal crank turn only 2-3 times.

3. Ecu is sr20ve p11 ecu piggyback emanage blue. Originally this engine pairs with sr20ve p12 ecu from factory.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
1. Comes with coolant temp sensor. Reading is correct so far, after idle 1-2 minute the temperature will slowly goes up. The car idles fine even when very cold. Just when starting give it a blip of gas, and it will start right up and idles fine. If didnt give blip it will crank a bit more, around 6 turns before start n dies immediately after. Normal crank turn only 2-3 times.

3. Ecu is sr20ve p11 ecu piggyback emanage blue. Originally this engine pairs with sr20ve p12 ecu from factory.
I am not familiar with the P11/12 ECU so can't comment but I suspect it has something to do with that. Cold-start is all the ECU and what sensor data it picks up. So if the coolant temp sensor is working then it might be the parameters of the ecu itself since it's not the original P12? I dunno. Is there some setting in he emanage you can check to check the cold-start?

brokenjars

Known Member
Jun 7, 2012
Kedah
I am not familiar with the P11/12 ECU so can't comment but I suspect it has something to do with that. Cold-start is all the ECU and what sensor data it picks up. So if the coolant temp sensor is working then it might be the parameters of the ecu itself since it's not the original P12? I dunno. Is there some setting in he emanage you can check to check the cold-start?
Well even at overseas it is common to switch to p11 ecu when plonking the engine down to sentra b13, because they do not know how to retain the original coil on plug ignition system, so need to switch to distributor type. Hence the change of ecu.

For the emanage, i have no knowledge on how to tune it..

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
On my old Pajero, adding grounding cable solve the problem. Starts easily when cold.

When hot, need to crank a bit longer.

brokenjars

Known Member
Jun 7, 2012
Kedah
On my old Pajero, adding grounding cable solve the problem. Starts easily when cold.

When hot, need to crank a bit longer.
Ah i faced this problem before on my previous toyota with 4age blacktop engine. My current problem symptoms are not the same..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

It would appear that pole-to-flag victories was the theme this weekend as Lucas Auer did just that, following in the steps of Sebastian Vettel and Dilantha Malagamuwa, to win Race 2 of the JK Racing Asia Series at the Sepang International Circuit that served as a support race for Formula One.

The Austrian managed to stave off Afiq Yazid and...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience