4-2-1? 4-1? Extractors broken down!

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
stainless steel or mix steel? any different on performance and sound? or just durability
Supposedly stainless steel doesn't rust therefore will last longer. But experience has told me it's rarely ever pure stainless steel. It'll rust somehow if exposed badly enough and long enough. But then again nice and shiny piping sure looks nicely than mixed steel piping.

In terms of performance it's just a matter of weight (assuming you have the correct length and diameter sorted out) cuz both pretty much heat up nearly the same rate, cool down nearly the same rate and all that. The only one with a real difference is titanium piping.

minibeany

500 RPM
Apr 30, 2017
Petaling Jaya
Supposedly stainless steel doesn't rust therefore will last longer. But experience has told me it's rarely ever pure stainless steel. It'll rust somehow if exposed badly enough and long enough. But then again nice and shiny piping sure looks nicely than mixed steel piping.

In terms of performance it's just a matter of weight (assuming you have the correct length and diameter sorted out) cuz both pretty much heat up nearly the same rate, cool down nearly the same rate and all that. The only one with a real difference is titanium piping.
ah... then save the money... thanks.

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya

i would stay away from titanium headers unless the weld is done by a reputable person/shop. it would crack easily if not properly weld. headers runs hot compare to pipings running back to the mufflers.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
i would stay away from titanium headers unless the weld is done by a reputable person/shop. it would crack easily if not properly weld. headers runs hot compare to pipings running back to the mufflers.
Generally mild steel is good enough for most applications, you can heat treat it by ceramic coating it. I have used mild steel headers without coating on my old sentra for 13 years without burning out anything in the engine bay. The heat in the engine bay can easily solved by custom heat shield for metal sheet too. Performance wise, i don't feel any much difference compared to SS headers, may be the car is just SLOW so whatever mods also does little improvement.

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
Generally mild steel is good enough for most applications, you can heat treat it by ceramic coating it. I have used mild steel headers without coating on my old sentra for 13 years without burning out anything in the engine bay. The heat in the engine bay can easily solved by custom heat shield for metal sheet too. Performance wise, i don't feel any much difference compared to SS headers, may be the car is just SLOW so whatever mods also does little improvement.
it's not just the material, design also matters. piping length, diameter etc. :driver:

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
What’s your advice for Wira 4g15 stock engine? City drive. No long distance and no track
those mild steel replacement is ok. better flow than the stock cast iron. the SS headers usually got larger diameter piping and longer header design. you'll suffer a bit at low RPM.
racing-4g15.jpg

this is from a seller on mudah. he advertised it as racing extractor. u can see the length of the pipes going down is longer than stock.

stock.jpg

this one is from another seller. advertised as JASMA extractor. design is almost same as the racing one, but has a shorter pipes.

besiputih.jpeg

and this one is your standard besi putih extractor which has a shorter almost stock length piping joints, cheap and cheerful and definitely lighter and better flowing that your stock cast iron. i've used this before on my previous 4g15 auto vdo engine. no complain, does it's job.

Reactions: minibeany

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
it's not just the material, design also matters. piping length, diameter etc. :driver:
For non performance engine, using SS is just for aesthetics purpose. You are absolutely correct on diameter, length and stuffs, however i don’t think any company will put serious thoughts when building any headers for non performance engine. As long as it fits the target market demand, they will gladly sell you something they claimed is TUNED length or bla bla bla.

Still, the art of modding is still CUSTOM.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
those mild steel replacement is ok. better flow than the stock cast iron. the SS headers usually got larger diameter piping and longer header design. you'll suffer a bit at low RPM.
View attachment 576543
this is from a seller on mudah. he advertised it as racing extractor. u can see the length of the pipes going down is longer than stock.

View attachment 576542
this one is from another seller. advertised as JASMA extractor. design is almost same as the racing one, but has a shorter pipes.

View attachment 576544
and this one is your standard besi putih extractor which has a shorter almost stock length piping joints, cheap and cheerful and definitely lighter and better flowing that your stock cast iron. i've used this before on my previous 4g15 auto vdo engine. no complain, does it's job.
Change my wira one before. 4 to 2 almost same length as original, only the 2 to 1 goes right down which is much longer. Mine the length just reach the nenas so plug and play, no need shift the nenas, save cost......:driver:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
4-1 and 4-2-1 both suck... put a turbo header and a snail and it’ll blow!

Reactions: sanekit

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

remember the black surface paint coat on trucks?

if it's available in small rattlecans i wanna buy to re-spray my bumper black trimming.
according to how tuff those bedliners are, iIMO once you spray 'em on ur linings, it'll last fer years!

can we actually get 'em anywhere? or hafta send to some place to get it sprayed?

tq.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience