Best Manual Gearoil For F5M21 Gearbox

WilsonTHarv

Jul 14, 2016
Hey there , i got a Wira 1.5 just converted to manual transmission using F5M21 gearbox with clutch pump , im using Castrol MTF 80w90 GL-4 gearoil with it as far as i know from research this gearbox can't use GL-5 oil which will corrode & cause damage to the bronze syncromesh inside .

The issue I'm having is sometimes when shifting into 2nd gear kinda hard , can feel like 2 step movement when shifting & when shift into 3rd gear sometime can hear & feel a little bit of grinding but it will slot into 3rd just fine , the other time & all other gears was fine .

Have been checking the clutch to make sure it was disengage all the way when fully depressed .

Any manual gearoil suit the best for this gearbox ? it will sees alot of high rpm shift .

Thanks for any advice =)

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Never cross your mind that the gearbox itself could be faulty? After all, its a used gb with unknown condition.

I would go back to whoever do the job and request for a change...got warranty?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Hard to engage can be the oil, but grinding noise I am afraid something wrong with the syncromesh...

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
my wira shift 2nd gear got notchy feeling during cold shifting. After change gb oil with redline lightweight shockproof. Blue color.
it improved not cure lah.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
my wira shift 2nd gear got notchy feeling during cold shifting. After change gb oil with redline lightweight shockproof. Blue color.
Notchy during cold, change to lightef oil, 75w90 probably can help, if not add lubegard and try. Yours redline already FS gear oil

WilsonTHarv

Jul 14, 2016
Never cross your mind that the gearbox itself could be faulty? After all, its a used gb with unknown condition.

I would go back to whoever do the job and request for a change...got warranty?
This is a swap between 2 cars , before the swap i have tested the gearbox on a wira se it was fine .

There is no warranty as this is a swap & installation of the gb is done by myself .

Hard to engage can be the oil, but grinding noise I am afraid something wrong with the syncromesh...
Yup , may be synchro issue , but i decided to try the cheapest way 1st as the oil im using now is normal Castrol MTF GL4 fluid , im not sure which oil suit the best for the gb so im seeking for advice from sifus-sifus here =)

Does u experience gear hard to shift into second or 3rd when on high rpm like over 6000 ? im not sure this is the shifter linkage issue or gb issue =?
Notchy during cold, change to lightef oil, 75w90 probably can help, if not add lubegard and try. Yours redline already FS gear oil
Redline Shockproof Lightweight 75w90 suitable for this gb ?as redline there is so many type of gb fluid , some state that its not suitable for synchro gb as its too slippery, so confusing to use which one =?

Sorry off topic abit eh , anyone here drove a Wira ? i have issue with my fuel gauge goes up on deceleration & goes down on acceleration , when the fuel level is at last quarter when i accelerate hard the needle can goes all the way to E which is quite scary , coudln't accurately estimate the fuel level so i just pump when the needle is at last quarter on level surface which took around 20 to 22 litres of fuel till the nozzle popped , whats the actual capacity of fuel tank in the Wira ya ?

Thanks for all the advice from sifus-sifus here & sorry for late replies as i was busy with work , seldom online lately . =)

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
The fuel gauge most probably the float issue. Refuel at quarter tank also good practice, rather than risk it going empty on you. I have used once on my VR near empty, took a hard corner, all the fuel went to one side, fuel pump could not suck any fuel for a moment. The car jerk slightly, then after the corner the pump manage to suck fuel again. Was warn not to do that often as the pump might get damaged, so nowadays I don't let it go empty.....lol

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
This is a swap between 2 cars , before the swap i have tested the gearbox on a wira se it was fine .

There is no warranty as this is a swap & installation of the gb is done by myself .

Yup , may be synchro issue , but i decided to try the cheapest way 1st as the oil im using now is normal Castrol MTF GL4 fluid , im not sure which oil suit the best for the gb so im seeking for advice from sifus-sifus here =)

Does u experience gear hard to shift into second or 3rd when on high rpm like over 6000 ? im not sure this is the shifter linkage issue or gb issue =?

Redline Shockproof Lightweight 75w90 suitable for this gb ?as redline there is so many type of gb fluid , some state that its not suitable for synchro gb as its too slippery, so confusing to use which one =?

Sorry off topic abit eh , anyone here drove a Wira ? i have issue with my fuel gauge goes up on deceleration & goes down on acceleration , when the fuel level is at last quarter when i accelerate hard the needle can goes all the way to E which is quite scary , coudln't accurately estimate the fuel level so i just pump when the needle is at last quarter on level surface which took around 20 to 22 litres of fuel till the nozzle popped , whats the actual capacity of fuel tank in the Wira ya ?

Thanks for all the advice from sifus-sifus here & sorry for late replies as i was busy with work , seldom online lately . =)
Wira is 40l as claimed. Like my BLM when its blinking, i cant even pumped in more that 30l.

My mother used to own a wira 1.5 auto before and had never encounter such problem. My bro in law previously owned a wira 1.3 manual and the gauge is working in a way its not working...just like yours but the highest it will go up is 1/2 even when the tank is full.

I exp erratic fuel gauge on a Pajero before and i removed the float, cleaned the float contact point which moves up and down, put it back and so far it no longer dance once below 1/4 mark.

WilsonTHarv

Jul 14, 2016
The fuel gauge most probably the float issue. Refuel at quarter tank also good practice, rather than risk it going empty on you. I have used once on my VR near empty, took a hard corner, all the fuel went to one side, fuel pump could not suck any fuel for a moment. The car jerk slightly, then after the corner the pump manage to suck fuel again. Was warn not to do that often as the pump might get damaged, so nowadays I don't let it go empty.....lol
Yup , my habits of refueling a car is usually at last quarter , the car i drove rarely have the fuel reserve light lits up ,as this will make sure the fuel pump is submerged under fuel & provide cooling to ensure a longer fuel pump life .

But i feel the gauge on my Wira ain't right this way & hope to rectify the problem to make sure its working correctly , it happen all the time just when the level is lesser it will become more erratic , like when it have half tank fuel left when i accelerate hard the needle will drop below last quarter ,quite uncomfortable to see it act that way lol

WilsonTHarv

Jul 14, 2016
Wira is 40l as claimed. Like my BLM when its blinking, i cant even pumped in more that 30l.

My mother used to own a wira 1.5 auto before and had never encounter such problem. My bro in law previously owned a wira 1.3 manual and the gauge is working in a way its not working...just like yours but the highest it will go up is 1/2 even when the tank is full.

I exp erratic fuel gauge on a Pajero before and i removed the float, cleaned the float contact point which moves up and down, put it back and so far it no longer dance once below 1/4 mark.
Hmm , guess i need to remove the float & examine the condition , as this was my 1st Wira i doesn't know if it suppose to act this way as i'm thought there is no or inadequate baffle inside the fuel tank causing the fuel to slush around when accelerate & decelerate .

Thanks for your advice bro =)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Guys having trouble at the moment..
can a 4G15 racing clutch fit into 4G18 clutch system?
coz i hardly can find any aftermarket 4G18 racing clutch except Exedy...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience