1jz E36 BMW frankensteining

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Dear All,

For those who interested with the low voltage issue i had with my converted E46, problem seems to be solved 80% after installed the smaller alternator pulley. At low idle with full accessories on, fan kicked in, the voltage is 13.2-13.4v. Previously encountered the RPM shut off issue was also solved after the change of pulleys. Furthermore, felt like the car is accelerating much faster too, gear kicked down also much more responsive and gear shifting is smoother, especially at WOT, previously felt a little lag but i don't think alternator charge has anything to do with it. Oddly, i got better gas mileage which is another plus.

Just found out we did not add another ground cable from alternator to the battery, if i did that, i think that will stabilize the voltage even more.

Will keep you guys posted

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Dear All,

For those who interested with the low voltage issue i had with my converted E46, problem seems to be solved 80% after installed the smaller alternator pulley. At low idle with full accessories on, fan kicked in, the voltage is 13.2-13.4v. Previously encountered the RPM shut off issue was also solved after the change of pulleys. Furthermore, felt like the car is accelerating much faster too, gear kicked down also much more responsive and gear shifting is smoother, especially at WOT, previously felt a little lag but i don't think alternator charge has anything to do with it. Oddly, i got better gas mileage which is another plus.

Just found out we did not add another ground cable from alternator to the battery, if i did that, i think that will stabilize the voltage even more.

Will keep you guys posted
Sounds like your alternator alone take a lot to run it.....:confused:

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Sounds like your alternator alone take a lot to run it.....:confused:
The damn fan took alot of amp, like i mentioned before, without accessories on (no a/c no fan), voltage is 13.7 at 800 rpm, which looks pretty normal to me. Once fan kicked in, instant drop to 12.1- 12.6, now is 13.2 - 13.5, i need another 0.2 or 0.3 to go.

Thanks,
Ken

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Funny thing is with smaller pulley, you getting faster acceleration and better mileage, which actually should be the opposite......lol

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Funny thing is with smaller pulley, you getting faster acceleration and better mileage, which actually should be the opposite......lol
Things are strange somehow, all i can say is i had very good luck on my 1st attempt in this type of project, seen many people try to do the same and ran into lots of problems. It would be the original pulley has some sort of worn on it but it not visible. We tried to swap in 120 amp alternator from Lexus LS300, just need to swap the pulley before putting on, funny thing is, the voltage produced is even worse than original alternator. Hence push us to modifying smaller pulley on original alternator and voila ... solved most of the issues.

Thanks,
Ken

Last edited:

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
The electrical systems received enough juice and operating at optimum level.

Its like a bulb, with small current it will produce light. It gets brighter when we increase current input.

Ever notice your car felt like new after a battery change? If old car, u wont feel any difference, on car laden with electronic it felt like a too overhaul.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Things are strange somehow, all i can say is i had very good luck on my 1st attempt in this type of project, seen many people try to do the same and ran into lots of problems. It would be the original pulley has some sort of worn on it but it not visible. We tried to swap in 120 amp alternator from Lexus LS300, just need to swap the pulley before putting on, funny thing is, the voltage produced is even worse than original alternator. Hence push us to modifying smaller pulley on original alternator and voila ... solved most of the issues.

Thanks,
Ken
Maybe spinning at the wrong speed, therefore producing less

The electrical systems received enough juice and operating at optimum level.

Its like a bulb, with small current it will produce light. It gets brighter when we increase current input.

Ever notice your car felt like new after a battery change? If old car, u wont feel any difference, on car laden with electronic it felt like a too overhaul.
Yah! probably with added voltage/current all running fine now

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Maybe spinning at the wrong speed, therefore producing less

Yah! probably with added voltage/current all running fine now
It's stock 1JZ pulley though, the one i modded in is from the other car with smaller alternator. I still need additional 0.5 volt to hit 13.9 volt to ensure everything is really enough juice.

Thanks,
Ken

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Hey Ken, didn't you consider the 2JZ alternator? It's almost PNP and higher output
Yes we did find one, but it performed lousier than my current one :dontknow:. We have tried with LS300 and Aristo 2JZ alternator and they didn't work better than my current one before i swapped in a smaller pulley.

Thanks,
Ken

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i have a 2" meter pillar for my Wira, can anybody tell me how to take out my OEM driver side plastic pillar cover in order to install the gauge pillar?
i don want to overlap it on the OEM plastic pillar because my gauge pillar is direct fit size as the OEM one.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience