Rear brake system : Drums in disc / seperate handbrake mechanism

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
As the title suggest,
Why does manufacturer apply such system. For example, the olw Merc W124 is equipped with a rear brake disc but the handbrake is using a drum and brake shoe. It looks like any normal disc because we cant see the mechanism on the inside center hub of the disc.
Other vehicle using is is the Pajero Sport.

Some conti cars are using seperate smaller caliper on the rear disc as handbrake.

Why do they do this?

I read online someone said its to prevent the disc from being warped or damaged or pad stuck to disc due to heat concerntration if the handbrake is applied after a very aggressive or spirited drive.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
As the title suggest,
Why does manufacturer apply such system. For example, the olw Merc W124 is equipped with a rear brake disc but the handbrake is using a drum and brake shoe. It looks like any normal disc because we cant see the mechanism on the inside center hub of the disc.

Some conti cars are using seperate smaller caliper on the rear disc as handbrake.

Why do they do this?

I read online someone said its to prevent the disc from being warped or damaged or pad stuck to disc due to heat concerntration if the handbrake is applied after a very aggressive or spirited drive.
My Chery SUV and Subaru Forester both having this system......

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
As the title suggest,

Why do they do this?

actually drum brake system have better grip within smaller diameter of effective pad radius....

and with just cable operating separately than the rear brake caliper....less failure to happen... also easier maintenance...

this is common on higher range and sportier range car...

Reactions: gunnerzz

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
actually drum brake system have better grip within smaller diameter of effective pad radius....

and with just cable operating separately than the rear brake caliper....less failure to happen... also easier maintenance...

That is what my mechanic explained also. More contact surface. Use for handbrake is good, but not for brakes as drums cannot cool as fast as disc which is in the open, where drums are enclosed.....

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka

parking brake using rear brake pad is that complicated and prone to failure?

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
parking brake using rear brake pad is that complicated and prone to failure?

yea..its abit complicated and often not good enough grip when parking...

plus there is safety net when the hydraulic brake caliper fails, the car can be safely stopped using parking brake since it was running a separate system...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

6/1/06 - around 3am..

my fren satria rear window was smash.. dont take anything

7/1/06 - 7.30am..

my vafc has been stolen.. 4 man (malay) use 2 motorbike smash my pessenger window.. my car park outside my house.. thanks god they dont stole my brother in law audio player..

9/1/06 - afternoon..

my fren walkie talkie antenna was stolen..

10/1/06 - 2-3 am..

my neighbour cd player was stolen...

:baring_teeth: so resident in cheras area, pls beware..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience