1jz E36 BMW frankensteining

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Grounding's good, mechanic thinks that the Fan and AC is draining too much power from the alternator. Car runs perfectly fine without AC, occasionally when cooling fan kicks in, the voltage can drop from 14.1 all the way to 13.1v ...

Thanks,
Ken
The current drawn seems to be very high......:confused:

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
The current drawn seems to be very high......:confused:
Yeah man, we have a hard time to try to rectify the issue, the original electric fan eats up lots of current. The issue is not apparent if i was driving but at idling. Our next option is to modify the alternator pulley so that at 800 rpm, the alternator can spin faster to increase voltage output, i have a voltage regulator that regulates voltage at 14.5 to prevent overcharging the battery.

Thanks,
Ken

Last edited:

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Interesting to see how much load (amp) the fan draw when it kicks in. should be easy to test. I bet it consume at least half the alternator output during idle.
I think it drew at least 20 over amp easily. My 1JZ alternator is 100 amp, so you can guess with all the accessories on, i almost used up the juice.

Thanks,
Ken

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yeah man, we have a hard time to try to rectify the issue, the original electric fan eats up lots of current. The issue is not apparent if i was driving but at idling. Our next option is to modify the alternator pulley so that at 800 rpm, the alternator can spin faster to increase voltage output, i have a voltage regulator that regulates voltage at 14.5 to previous overcharged.

Thanks,
Ken
Bigger drive to smaller pulley will be heavier, moreover even though won't over charge, will it over work the alternator at high speed?

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Bigger drive to smaller pulley will be heavier, moreover even though won't over charge, will it over work the alternator at high speed?
The pulley is only 10% smaller than the current size, according to mechanic, it only will burnout the carbon brush sooner. But since the carbon brush is new so it won't be burning out very soon.

What's your input on that statement?

Thanks,
Ken

Last edited:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
The pulley is only 10% smaller than the current size, according to mechanic, it only will burnout the carbon brush sooner. But since the carbon brush is new so it won't be burning out very soon.

Thanks,
Ken
10% is a lot... Personally I would not do that to an alternator. Suggest you try uprating it la.

Reactions: vr2turbo

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

Thanks,
Ken
I am not an electrical nor electronic expert but my previous Accord had the diodes melted in my stock alternator, so not only the carbon brush but will it affect other parts?

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Means bigger output alternator rather then over clock the old one......lol
I suggested that, but the mechanic said its not necessary can cure the low rev voltage low problem, especially when fan is kicking in. He asked me to try the pulley first, if it works, then pay, if its not, then no charges.

Thanks,
Ken

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines

Thanks,
Ken

should be usable and monitor..

if it works fine...then keep using it... :driver:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I suggested that, but the mechanic said its not necessary can cure the low rev voltage low problem, especially when fan is kicking in. He asked me to try the pulley first, if it works, then pay, if its not, then no charges.

Thanks,
Ken
In that case go ahead and test first......

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
In that case go ahead and test first......
Yeah, just need to find time to drop the car over to install the pulley, fan belt will need to find slightly shorter to accommodate the reduce pulley sizes.

Thanks,
Ken

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
When does it drop to 12v? Does your actual engine RPM drops when it drops to 12v?
When cooling fan kicked in with A/C system on, the rev will drop to the 500 rpm and 12.1 V. If i turn of the A/C, and fan is not kicked in, the volt will at 13.6 v

Thanks,
Ken

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Ferrari has unveiled their new racer for 2011 - the 458 Challenge. Based on the, you guessed it, 458 Italia, the new Challenge features an updated dual-clutch F1 gearbox, an 'E-Diff' electronic differential, and an 'F1-Trac' traction control system with wet or dry weather settings. Other upgrades for the Challenge include a race suspension that come with solid aluminum bushings, stiffer springs, and...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience