Operational Manual #1 - Shift Quicker

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Jul 6, 2000
Trying something new here guys, especially for those who haven't been following our social channels. I've been getting plenty of questions on YouTube especially regarding manual shifting H&T etc so I was thinking of compiling them here or creating a series of post revolving on driving topics

I hope this helps anyone searching for answers on footwork and such, let's dicuss

I'll start with this one:
How to Shift Quicker

Screenshot_20181004-133846_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20181004-121057_YT Studio.jpg

Good topic, I'm pretty rusty too now driving manual after been driving AT for over 7 years now! (and anyway I'm not so good to begin with!)

Btw for me it seems it's my left hand that's not fast enough to shift following disengagement of the clutch from the left foot. I think so far in about 2 months driving my son's manual Swift, there were like 3 times I missed gear coz my left foot already released the clutch while my left hand was a split second late hence failed to engage up shift.

Tom, again I am here to express my thanks and gratitude for your tips and highlights in how to execute H&T technique and rev matching back in 2016. It has been almost 2 years already since that topic, time flies.

Now, I have no problem rev matching accurately and executing H&T during normal daily driving. Rev matching is now like my natural response whenever I downshift. Made me realize how horrible the car jolts when I downshift directly without rev matching during the days before I learn about it from you.

Thanks again Tom and also 6UE5t for the help back then. It was a good lesson that I will remember for life as long as I am driving a manual transmission.

Good topic, I'm pretty rusty too now driving manual after been driving AT for over 7 years now! (and anyway I'm not so good to begin with!)

Btw for me it seems it's my left hand that's not fast enough to shift following disengagement of the clutch from the left foot. I think so far in about 2 months driving my son's manual Swift, there were like 3 times I missed gear coz my left foot already released the clutch while my left hand was a split second late hence failed to engage up shift.
Need to time your hand and leg coordination together.....lol

Tom, again I am here to express my thanks and gratitude for your tips and highlights in how to execute H&T technique and rev matching back in 2016. It has been almost 2 years already since that topic, time flies.

Now, I have no problem rev matching accurately and executing H&T during normal daily driving. Rev matching is now like my natural response whenever I downshift. Made me realize how horrible the car jolts when I downshift directly without rev matching during the days before I learn about it from you.

Thanks again Tom and also 6UE5t for the help back then. It was a good lesson that I will remember for life as long as I am driving a manual transmission.
Wah already 2 years ago? Time flies indeed and now you're pro already! :biggrin:

Need to time your hand and leg coordination together.....lol
Yeah, a bit rusty and getting old so not so fast anymore. :biggrin:

Interesting. What do people like me who can't twist my foot to do a heel-toe? Not on my current car anyway, I need the chair to be lower to HT

Wah already 2 years ago? Time flies indeed and now you're pro already! :biggrin:

Yeah, a bit rusty and getting old so not so fast anymore. :biggrin:
Still not as pro as Tom or you during your younger days. Yeah, it has been 2 years already as I still remember about the video that I shared here was recorded during the eve of 2017 CNY. Now, I have even managed to teach a friend of mine about rev matching and H&T. Also taught my brother about rev matching whenever he is downshifting from higher RPM. Had to show it to them while driving, the difference between rev matching and not rev matching. The jolt and jerk without rev matching is very noticeable.

Interesting. What do people like me who can't twist my foot to do a heel-toe? Not on my current car anyway, I need the chair to be lower to HT
Try side foot blip of the gas if your feet can angle and overlap between the brake and the gas. On your BMW should be able to do coz the gas pedal is floor mounted and long with angle towards the brake pedal, right?

Anyway, slightly off topic leh, this thread is Tom's part 1 for quick up shift first, not yet H&T. :biggrin: Probably H&T will be part 2 later.

Still not as pro as Tom or you during your younger days. Yeah, it has been 2 years already as I still remember about the video that I shared here was recorded during the eve of 2017 CNY. Now, I have even managed to teach a friend of mine about rev matching and H&T. Also taught my brother about rev matching whenever he is downshifting from higher RPM. Had to show it to them while driving, the difference between rev matching and not rev matching. The jolt and jerk without rev matching is very noticeable.
I bukan pro la even during younger days, just the balls outgrew the brain too much! Luckily still survives so now the brain can already overtook back. :biggrin: Sini banyak real pro macam Tom and bro Pomen_GTR.

Please teach me how to heel and toe sifu....I'm noob.

Reactions: sanekit

I bukan pro la even during younger days, just the balls outgrew the brain too much! Luckily still survives so now the brain can already overtook back. :biggrin: Sini banyak real pro macam Tom and bro Pomen_GTR.
Still a pro as you taught me about it before I even started on it :biggrin:

Please teach me how to heel and toe sifu....I'm noob.
Moderator like you can't be a noob can you? :biggrin: Its been a while since you are here, sifu TR