Elantra Sport

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Nowadays they've refined it to Malaysia dy, its not bad now.
If you were to believe VW. Sure. Just like the prostitute with AIDS who needs to make a living, sure she will tell you she doesn't have AIDS and ask you to wear a condom. That's like VW telling you no problem and they have 5 years warranty. Question is, who is stupid enough the believe them? Surely, got people who do.

And let me remind you the now Ex-CEO of VW is in jail. And the DSG 7 dry is a product of which when he was still CEO.

2017 VW DSG drys are still failing. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Engineering isn't a religion. You can believe whatever you want to believe but if its bad engineering design its still going to fail even if you believe otherwise.

Just join VW owners group and see yourself.

Reactions: alcyon

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
I would avoid anything from VW with the dry DSG 7 speed. It's similar to contracting AIDS. You won't die immediately, but you know eventually its going to kill you because there's no cure.

Myvi 1.5L is fun enough. But try the Mazda 2. The fit and finish, the chassis, engine and tranny is a very nice combo. I'm unsure what's your definition of "fun". Cause a nimble car with limited grunt, but extremely tossable can be fun in some people's books.

I saw lots of video of Navara breaking in half on youtube. Laugh die.
My definition of FUN = car with character, example you need skill to drive, has adequate power (above 200hp), confident handling and of course, space + look is just a bonus.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
If you look at the Elantra Sport as an outright sports sedan, it's not going to impress much.

but if you look at it as a daily driver first, it is great. It drives well, has about 200hp on tap, not boring like a regular sedan and has decent in-car features as well. DCT transmission is good, not anywhere near as advanced as the DSGs are but is still miles better than a CVT or Auto. Power is acceptably good as well. Just don't expect it to feel as refined as a new Civic, it is not.

The only big gripe is the inside. If you can take the cheap-ish eye-blinding red seats and accents than you're good to go. To be honest, in my 1 week drive in the car, i hardly took notice of the red accents much. I heard it's a zipped-on seat sleeve, so who knows, perhaps it can be removed
Thanks for the review and comments. I don't like the interior too. The seats look really cheap. I'm just attracted to the performance but like I said in my previous comments, the review I saw from YouTube indicated the driving dynamics are below Civics. I will need a test drive ...

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
If you were to believe VW. Sure. Just like the prostitute with AIDS who needs to make a living, sure she will tell you she doesn't have AIDS and ask you to wear a condom. That's like VW telling you no problem and they have 5 years warranty. Question is, who is stupid enough the believe them? Surely, got people who do.

And let me remind you the now Ex-CEO of VW is in jail. And the DSG 7 dry is a product of which when he was still CEO.

2017 VW DSG drys are still failing. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Engineering isn't a religion. You can believe whatever you want to believe but if its bad engineering design its still going to fail even if you believe otherwise.

Just join VW owners group and see yourself.
I got 2 colleagues here owning VW cars. 1 of them even owns 2 VWs, Passat and Polo. The other one is Touran. It is already 5 years now and they said using the right ATF (mineral to be precise) would avoid the DSG problems. The Malaysian climate just doesn't work well with the synthetic ATF for the dry DSGs, causing them to fail.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
I got 2 colleagues here owning VW cars. 1 of them even owns 2 VWs, Passat and Polo. The other one is Touran. It is already 5 years now and they said using the right ATF (mineral to be precise) would avoid the DSG problems. The Malaysian climate just doesn't work well with the synthetic ATF for the dry DSGs, causing them to fail.
Feel free to take the risk. I cannot understand why people want to risk it for such a price tag.

My definition of FUN = car with character, example you need skill to drive, has adequate power (above 200hp), confident handling and of course, space + look is just a bonus.
Above 200hp is sports sedan already boss. Proton, Perodua don’t have anything above 200hp. Honda and Toyota only the full size top spec 2.4/2.5 is above 200hp. Even the Civic Turbo is 171hp or so. Your requirement for brand new at this price, only the Hyundai meets this requirement. Even then it’s because of the discount.

No such car boss.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Feel free to take the risk. I cannot understand why people want to risk it for such a price tag.

Above 200hp is sports sedan already boss. Proton, Perodua don’t have anything above 200hp. Honda and Toyota only the full size top spec 2.4/2.5 is above 200hp. Even the Civic Turbo is 171hp or so. Your requirement for brand new at this price, only the Hyundai meets this requirement. Even then it’s because of the discount.

No such car boss.
Well I don't mind Golf TSi but with the price tag of 174K, it's no-go for now.

Yup, that's why I enlisted Elantra Sports, hence this thread.

s.marz

Known Member
Aug 10, 2016
Kuala Lumpur
Why not consider the MK6 GTI or Scirocco R? Price ranges from 70k-130k (you can even get the MK6 Golf R).
They are all equipped with the wet clutch DSG so those issues shouldn't haunt you. Tbh I was also looking around for those but priorities changed.
Pocket rocket, good handling, can carry 4 sized adults and very impressive tuning potential.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
yes, that's all you need right now to decide

in any case, there's still the Toyota 86 to consider for the price range, if you don't mind another 2 door
Why not consider the MK6 GTI or Scirocco R? Price ranges from 70k-130k (you can even get the MK6 Golf R).
They are all equipped with the wet clutch DSG so those issues shouldn't haunt you. Tbh I was also looking around for those but priorities changed.
Pocket rocket, good handling, can carry 4 sized adults and very impressive tuning potential.
He wants a new car, not recon or used.

Reactions: Tom and stutzedward

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Thanks for all the suggestions, bros. 6UE5t is right, I want only new. My experiences with recond & used weren't as great though the cars I got were very fun. :)

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Correct me if i am wrong but I think most senior zth member did discuss and agree at one time in another thread that as our age increases, hp figure is no loner the priority anymore...its torque that matter.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Depends on luck and usage, some fail and some don't. I heard a little birdie mentioned the FS and mineral oil thing is just news....lol

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Correct me if i am wrong but I think most senior zth member did discuss and agree at one time in another thread that as our age increases, hp figure is no loner the priority anymore...its torque that matter.
I had lunch with one of my mechnaic's client, now in late 40's. He did say when young, more power and lower, now at older age, more comfort and higher, that is why SUV and MPV sells well now.....lol

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Let say in 1 month time car is in top condition
I have 8k in hand
What modifications should i do
I am running on Stock EVO III except for the Air Filter KNN
What i have in my mind is to boost 1.2bar - 1.4bar
What should i do .. Suggestions please
Absorbers are not done also.
What i have in mind is

- 1.5way LSD gearbox
- Triniti Clutches + Exedy Cover
- SMT6 or - Microtech Ltx8s
- Electronic Boost Controller
- Bosch Fuel Pump
- Greddy Type-R BOV
- SS Intercooler pipings + Samco's
- Titan +...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience