BMW 320i E90 2.0(A) or A180 Benz

Michael Lim

Michael Lim

Dec 25, 2017
Hi Guys, would like to ask all expert advise regarding these 2 cars in terms of maintenance & car parts or any other comments can be given. I am looking to purchase either. Thanks.:adore:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
which year A180? Are you talking about the newest A-Class 180? If yes this is pretty much a no brainer. That E90 isn't as good looking or as new as the A180. And BMWs generally are complicated in terms of maintenance. If you have a guy or a workshop you trust that knows their stuff then great. If not you'll have a hard time looking for specialty know-how on all things BMW.

Personally I'd buy the A180. Only because it's newer and it's a Merc. Equally expensive to maintain but less of a headache in comparison.

ixeo

4,000 RPM

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
The current A Class been around since 2012. Its an EOL model already.

A180, front wheel drive econobox with a 4 cylinder 1.6L engine. Seriously its the gay180
https://youtu.be/RVsmaSt8qTo

E90 320i petrol engine got problem, get the 320D M Sport variant and you'll have a smile on your face. I recommended it to my friend who has never looked back since. The M Sport E90 has a very sporty ride, I rather be the driver than the passenger as its very firm.

Unless you are obsessed about the badge, don't bother with the A-Class.

I recommended a friend to buy a Mazda3 GVC over a Toyota Camry Hybrid, and he's been smiles after driving it for a week. And raving about the driving experience...and this is an average joe kinda guy.

Michael Lim

Michael Lim

Dec 25, 2017
which year A180? Are you talking about the newest A-Class 180? If yes this is pretty much a no brainer. That E90 isn't as good looking or as new as the A180. And BMWs generally are complicated in terms of maintenance. If you have a guy or a workshop you trust that knows their stuff then great. If not you'll have a hard time looking for specialty know-how on all things BMW.

Personally I'd buy the A180. Only because it's newer and it's a Merc. Equally expensive to maintain but less of a headache in comparison.
I am looking at the 2013 A180 bro..

Michael Lim

Michael Lim

Dec 25, 2017
Maybe I should elaborate more..less fussy to maintain and i am not fussy about the technical part as in speed and etc. Just a ride for business purposes. However I think market rate the 2013 A180 and E90 2010 price is almost double.

I assume the E90 should have more things to fix as it is older but half cheaper wherelse the A180 is newer less fixing but price is double..Hope u guys get what i mean..

ixeo

4,000 RPM

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
E90 is less fussy because its been around longer, there's more E90s on the road than A Class. More workshops, and a lot more of the E90 issues are known, which makes it easier to maintain. Plus 2010 is the LCI model, which means whatever major issues has been fixed by BMW.

Buy it, get all the necessary wear and tear parts replaced. And you're done. The 320i engine has issues, so if you want the 3 series get the diesel which is great, or the 6 cylinders.

Both are very different cars. One is the mainstay of the brand, the other a car designed to fit a specific (low) price bracket with a premium badge.

Maybe you should go see the car in person, sit in it and see which you prefer in terms of cabin comfort, since you don't care bout the drive. The BMW is spartan, whereas Mercedes are more premium. See what YOU like.

Michael Lim

Michael Lim

Dec 25, 2017
E90 is less fussy because its been around longer, there's more E90s on the road than A Class. More workshops, and a lot more of the E90 issues are known, which makes it easier to maintain. Plus 2010 is the LCI model, which means whatever major issues has been fixed by BMW.

Buy it, get all the necessary wear and tear parts replaced. And you're done. The 320i engine has issues, so if you want the 3 series get the diesel which is great, or the 6 cylinders.

Both are very different cars. One is the mainstay of the brand, the other a car designed to fit a specific (low) price bracket with a premium badge.

Maybe you should go see the car in person, sit in it and see which you prefer in terms of cabin comfort, since you don't care bout the drive. The BMW is spartan, whereas Mercedes are more premium. See what YOU like.
Thanks for the info bro..:adore:

Michael Lim

Michael Lim

Dec 25, 2017
The 320i engine has issues, so if you want the 3 series get the diesel which is great, or the 6 cylinders.

6 Cylinder model is called 325i?

ixeo

4,000 RPM

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
The 320i engine has issues, so if you want the 3 series get the diesel which is great, or the 6 cylinders.

6 Cylinder model is called 325i?
Yes. 2.5L straight six engine. Be advised they are not very economical to run for urban city duties. If fuel economy is a concern, the 2L diesel engine is a workhorse and frugal to run. As Malaysia diesel cars DO NOT have DPF, you would not run into DPF clogging issues during short trips.

esthapo

Trail Bomber

esthapo

Trail Bomber
Mar 31, 2006
Sister'sBedroom
Like Ixeo said, if petrol is not ur main concern, go for 6 cylinders be it 323, 325, 330 or 335 if u can find a decent one....stay away from 320i if u dont want headache

loose_end

3,000 RPM

loose_end

3,000 RPM
Jul 29, 2009
Malaysia
On a general side, how is merc maintenance cost , is it the same as bmw ? Any general issue on merc ( for bmw would be engine leak, electronic sensor )

ixeo

4,000 RPM

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
On a general side, how is merc maintenance cost , is it the same as bmw ? Any general issue on merc ( for bmw would be engine leak, electronic sensor )
Parts are more abundant for the Mercedes relative to BMW, but that also depends on the model. The staple C class and E class would have more parts -- not the latest model as those are all still under warranty.

I think BMW aftermarket support and service has been growing over the years as well for the staple 3 and 5 series.

Parts are abang adik between the two, 10 years back people tell me Mercedes ones cheaper. Now I honestly don't know.

Frankly, choose the one you like. BMW interiors are spartan and boring compared to the ultra lux on the Mercedes. They call the C-Class the baby S and they are not wrong about it. Just that the C250 is a bit slow for my tastes.

Michael Lim

Michael Lim

Dec 25, 2017
referring to this..the engine leak and electronic sensor issue is it high damage in terms of cost? how much averagely it cost? btw what is electronic sensor for bmw?

Honestly i prefer the design of the e90 2010 series compared to an A200 which seem more feminine.

DanzEterna

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
im using a 320i E90 model, yes its true the engine has more issue compared to 325i or the almost bulletproof engine 320d.

but of course the higher the cc, the parts costs much higher.
for example 320i water pump costs around rm400+, whereby 325i costs rm1.5k.
there are pros & cons for both models, but so far im happy with my current car as I use it daily to travel to work.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

As you can see from the heavily shrouded example of what looks to be the latest Mitsubishi Mirage, currently being sold in the Thailand market, we were lucky to spot this test vehicle at the Saujana area that was about to be towed back to Mitsubishi HQ...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience