2018 Civic Type-R FK8R In Depth Detail & First Impressions

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
It's very hard for them to stick to NA engines this time because of emissions regulation and to keep up with their competitors in term of horsepower. However, I'm glad that Honda didn't jump in the bandwagon and retained the manual gear box in this new Type-R.

pwhyze

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
The buzzwords I see in this, such as more refined, more comfortable, more forgiving, matured...all are good and well but when it all comes in a package that LOOKS the way it does and bearing the Type R badge, I donno...feels like something is out of sync or some sort.

Make no mistake, this generation of Type R is definitely different in spirit to previous Type Rs. I can't decide if that's a good thing or not though...lol

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
The buzzwords I see in this, such as more refined, more comfortable, more forgiving, matured...all are good and well but when it all comes in a package that LOOKS the way it does and bearing the Type R badge, I donno...feels like something is out of sync or some sort.

Make no mistake, this generation of Type R is definitely different in spirit to previous Type Rs. I can't decide if that's a good thing or not though...lol
Very true. Previously, Civic Type R or generally almost all Type R cars are track focused cars. Excels sharply at one aspect while doing that well in other areas like refinement, comfort, ease of driving, etc. But on this new Type R here, I can't help to think that it is leaning more towards continental cars approach like Golf GTi where the car is more of an all rounder instead of focusing sharply on one aspect.

The good thing about this new approach is that it will appeal to more people out there especially the younger generations who emphasize a lot on creature comfort features over pure performance. The bad thing that I felt would be this Civic had lost some of its old charm and identity. Sure, those old Civic Type R may be harsh, unforgiving and not comfortable to use as a daily drive but when it comes to track performance, the car truly shines brightly which makes it so memorable and iconic. The new FK8 is a good car but it seems like it does not stand out as much as those older Type R did before. Is like you said, different in spirit compared to previous Type R machines. No longer the brutal, raw and screaming machine like how they all used to be.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I know an Alza that does left foot on-off action to activate rear brake locks. It's messy but it's possible. HAHAHA
Yeah I know it is possible if you really wanna practice it but as you said, it's messy and I'm just too lazy to practice it even though I'm a left foot braker when driving auto.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Well, now we are moving to shift stalks like the Mercedes, which I kinda like, saves space on the console, and your hand travels less -- from steering to stalk, versus steering to console shifter.

You are right in the sense that manual or automatic, you need it to operate the car. But hand brake and e-brake, the hand brake can do stuff the e-brake can't do.

I dunno, I feel that for a car like this, that its for the purists, the e-brake is sacrilege.
I am still skeptical about Merc's stalk shifter.
I have instances where I unintentionally flick that stalk during driving where it engages Neutral.
For example, when wanting to activate the windshield wiper etc. Now even that is built in the indicator stalk. Ironically it doesn't happen when driving the regular Mercs, but in the AMGs instead. Namely the C63s Coupe.

s.marz

Known Member
Aug 10, 2016
Kuala Lumpur
I have instances where I unintentionally flick that stalk during driving where it engages Neutral.
For example, when wanting to activate the windshield wiper etc. Now even that is built in the indicator stalk. Ironically it doesn't happen when driving the regular Mercs, but in the AMGs instead. Namely the C63s Coupe.
I think the stalk shifter thing is all bout getting used to. I was like you too whenever I drive my dad's, always mistaken that shifter and makes me all confuse to the point that I have to pause and actually look at where I am putting my hands on hah!

But after sometimes, everything else is normal as I switch between cars.

f8.

Known Member
Nov 19, 2003
FD2R, the car feels very 'together' so although the tail has a tendency to step out during corners if you shift the weight forward with braking, its very intuitive to counter. Overall the relationship between steering, throttle, brakes and butt feel seem very coherent and organic. There is a flow to it which is hard to describe.

I wonder does the FK8R repeat this character?

FD2R with the 5.042 final drive ratio, there are 3 modes to drive it in city:
Mode 1: Keep revs within 3k rpm and go into 6th by 80kmh. Most low speed driving in city can be done with 3rd, traffic jams at most 2nd even if it involves standstill. There is a torque peak on low cam at 3k rpm for stock cars which helps make this driveable, also the 5:1 final drive helps.

Mode 2: Keep revs to within 5k rpm. This is a little more spirited driving but all still within low cam and easily hit 130kmh on usual daily commutes. Enough to pull away from most traffic normally.

Mode 3: full vtec and fully using high cam. This is the mode that raises heartbeat and adrenalin. Air cond: off.

So to me, 3 characters in 1 car depending on gear selection strategy.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
FD2R, the car feels very 'together' so although the tail has a tendency to step out during corners if you shift the weight forward with braking, its very intuitive to counter. Overall the relationship between steering, throttle, brakes and butt feel seem very coherent and organic. There is a flow to it which is hard to describe.

Mode 1: Keep revs within 3k rpm and go into 6th by 80kmh. Most low speed driving in city can be done with 3rd, traffic jams at most 2nd even if it involves standstill. There is a torque peak on low cam at 3k rpm for stock cars which helps make this driveable, also the 5:1 final drive helps.

Mode 2: Keep revs to within 5k rpm. This is a little more spirited driving but all still within low cam and easily hit 130kmh on usual daily commutes. Enough to pull away from most traffic normally.

Mode 3: full vtec and fully using high cam. This is the mode that raises heartbeat and adrenalin. Air cond: off.

I think you sum it up well. It allows the driver to ENGAGE, INTERACT with the car’s different characteristics, cause with a manual you have full control. It’s like painting with a brush.. light touch and you get faint strokes on the canvas.. push down hard and it leaves a bold streak..

Whereas I feel cars like the Golf GTi mk5 (only driven that) is rather blunt.. it’s just accelerator on or off.. it’s fast, shifts are crips and perfect. But less engagement with the car... you don’t feel that much connection as there’s less interaction. Sure, You can also argue that it allows you to focus on driving.. but I guess what pleasure that you’d derive from it.

My view on the FD2R is an out and out track car with some creature comforts, whereas the golf gti is a comfortable daily car with some track ability.

Dunno about this one. Anyway for me if I want a manual track car, I really lust for Lotus... but getting in and out is a bitch.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
How on earth do you drive? With your fingers stretched out?

Dunno about this one. Anyway for me if I want a manual track car, I really lust for Lotus... but getting in and out is a bitch.
You can't have it all you greedy little pig :biggrin:

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
I think the stalk shifter thing is all bout getting used to. I was like you too whenever I drive my dad's, always mistaken that shifter and makes me all confuse to the point that I have to pause and actually look at where I am putting my hands on hah!

But after sometimes, everything else is normal as I switch between cars.
Agreed. The problem is with switching cars often, and it hits when you least expect it. For example, when I'm on the job, going from say a A class to C Class or a Jap car to the E Class. But still, yes it's a matter of getting used to.

The stalk saves plenty of space too and can make parking maneuvers easier

hello F8 long time no see, awesome insights

I can't give you a detailed opinion on the FK8R having only driven it on a short autocross course.
But I do believe the newcomer has a lot more mechanical grip, stock to stock even if many FD2R purists think otherwise.

In some ways, I think the FD2R is at the pinnacle of primitive chassis tech
Whereas the FK8R is beginning to realise the potential of new age engineering

How on earth do you drive? With your fingers stretched out?

Not accidental that way, but accidental wiper / indicator activation

You can't have it all you greedy little pig :biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

While many manufacturers are trying to squeeze every last drop of fuel out of their machines, one of the simplest methods to do so has always been overlooked, until now that is. Goodyear has just launched it’s the latest tyre from its Assurance line, the Assurance Fuel Max, that provides for reduced rolling resistance for fuel savings and...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience