Review: 2017 Hyundai Elantra Sport | 200ps 1.6L Turbo 7 Speed DCT

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I remember Tom and Angelene doing that BMW SUV test drive in Sepang and Tom couldn't stop raving on about it.

Emotionally perhaps it would appeal but realistically it's for people who can afford to maintain. Buying a car is different from buying fried chicken ixeo. How many times have you heard newbie car owners wanting to buy highly modded or performance cars? That's suicide but it's emotion.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
I remember Tom and Angelene doing that BMW SUV test drive in Sepang and Tom couldn't stop raving on about it.

Emotionally perhaps it would appeal but realistically it's for people who can afford to maintain. Buying a car is different from buying fried chicken ixeo. How many times have you heard newbie car owners wanting to buy highly modded or performance cars? That's suicide but it's emotion.
Evoking passion in average Joe and Jane. Thats the takeaway.
If you compare objectively, Korean brands will forever suffer on resale value, and dismissed as a viable option.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
You should. Seriously. People are passionate about their cars. The ones who aren’t buys Perodua — practically it’s the best mode of transportation — this no longer your target market.

I remember how back in the 90s people were so passionate with their B16 Civics. From the “small” VTEC to the “big” VTEC.

The next gen would probably be talking about charge times, distance covered etc. since with turbos, hybrids, PHEV, every car is gonna have instant torque anyway.

I find many traditional corporates very cute. They see competitors (in this context e.g.) Honda do a successful marketing and they try to emulate, citing that it worked for Honda it should work for us too. Well Hyundai isn’t Honda. You don’t have the approval of “old” car guys who grew up in the 90s.. and that’s evident from the resale value, along with market perception. What works for the current non national sales leader will definitely not work for Hyundai.

One marketing did amazingly well of late was by McDonald’s and their ayam goreng crunch ad. Fried chicken has always been a KFC thing. Mcd didn’t copy KFC promoting herbs, spices, and flavor.

They just did one thing.. evoke emotion.
totally get what you're saying, people do purchase based on emotion and reasons could be as simple as peer pressure, being in a certain circle, mid-life-crisis and so on. It's a lot like fashion.

especially for these new breed of hot hyundais, they definitely need an introduction

in this case, I think ixeo's talking about the Elantra Sport's need for relevant exposure to relevant buyers so they can find relevant reasons to buy it rather than to go with the mainstream Civic for example.

I do like the X5e :)

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
totally get what you're saying, people do purchase based on emotion and reasons could be as simple as peer pressure, being in a certain circle, mid-life-crisis and so on. It's a lot like fashion.

especially for these new breed of hot hyundais, they definitely need an introduction

in this case, I think ixeo's talking about the Elantra Sport's need for relevant exposure to relevant buyers so they can find relevant reasons to buy it rather than to go with the mainstream Civic for example.

I do like the X5e :)
Wow you nailed it very well.

Honda Civic: We're great
Hyundai Elantra Sport: We're better than great

Nope, that's not gotta work. That would be like McDonald's going head to head vs KFC for fried chicken.

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
Suddenly feel hungry KFC vs ayam Goreng mcd. Hahaha
Buying car need commitment, mod car need passion.
If jump into bandwagon, just buy any car to make some one a$$ feel better.
Be brave with the car of own choice n feel no regret.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
You might need to look at buying a new car if the old car end of life bill goes ahead......lol:rofl:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
So how? Chicken meet? Sounds like a plan. Only question is KFC or Mcd

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
You might need to look at buying a new car if the old car end of life bill goes ahead......lol:rofl:
So many times hear this policy. This time sound so convincing.
Can provide world class public transport ? G wiling to scrap off import tax, excise duty ? Importing performance parts with no tax ? :smokin:
Starting to love the pull...what a nightmare if really happen.:banghead:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
So many times hear this policy. This time sound so convincing.
Can provide world class public transport ? G wiling to scrap off import tax, excise duty ? Importing performance parts with no tax ? :smokin:
Starting to love the pull...what a nightmare if really happen.:banghead:
Got to wait and see how loh! If it on, well can book new Hyundai Elentra Sports.....hhahahhaha:rofl:

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Wow you nailed it very well.

Honda Civic: We're great
Hyundai Elantra Sport: We're better than great

Nope, that's not gotta work. That would be like McDonald's going head to head vs KFC for fried chicken.
No, it'll probably never replace the Civic, not this soon at least so the angle's gonna be something like:

Honda Civic: We're really great
Hyundai Elantra Sport: Made for drivers

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Saw an Optima GT the other day. Still no Elantra Sport. I think the Optima GT will face a stiff fight from the 2018 Accord. Looks like Honda is really winning the battle with cars masses want.

s.marz

Known Member
Aug 10, 2016
Kuala Lumpur
Saw an Optima GT the other day. Still no Elantra Sport. I think the Optima GT will face a stiff fight from the 2018 Accord. Looks like Honda is really winning the battle with cars masses want.
I saw the Elantra Sport yesterday at my condo lobby, dark color can't tell if it's black or grey or dark blue...

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
I saw the Elantra Sport yesterday at my condo lobby, dark color can't tell if it's black or grey or dark blue...
Hahaha leave a note for him... "great choice of car, ugly seats tho"

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

All,

Planning to get some stuff from overseas and I was stuck as they ask which engine I'm using now. When I told them I'm having a Mitsu E2, they are not sure and ask me whether it's a 6 bolts and 7 bolts engine...????

So my questions, what is 6 bolts and 7 bolts? Which engine is using 6 bolts and which is using 7 bolts?

vr4, e1, e2, e3 - 6 bolts???
e4 and above - 7 bolts????

Thanks
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience