Next Car to Buy

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Dear All,

Sorry for missing in action for so long, recently just test drove BMW 323i 2012, last batch of E90 by Auto Bavaria. Can't really see the difference between 325i in terms of engine power, but 323i rides abit more comfort than 325i. Price is very affordable, somewhere in 80k for a 5 yr old car. Mileage is about 70k and i don't think its genuine. Most probably will be getting the E90 because F30 is abit over my budget and under my expectation except for the turbo 4 bangers. I still prefer BMW with N/A 6 cylinder, eventhough its no where faster than the N20. Perhaps a good remap and intake manifold mod (derived from 3litre N52) can make it up to par performance.

This 323i i test drove is better than the 325i i test drove earlier, this 323i is very engaging at any RPMs. That 325i must be suffered some issues. Managed to get from 0-100 in sub 7 secs range with 3 passengers. The earlier 325i was clocking near 9 secs ...

Comfort wise, F30 apparently is better cause its longer by almost 4 inches, the rear leg room is awesome. But cornering in F30 doesn't feel better than E90, dislike the weightless steering ...

Thanks,
Ken

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Dear All,

Sorry for missing in action for so long, recently just test drove BMW 323i 2012, last batch of E90 by Auto Bavaria. Can't really see the difference between 325i in terms of engine power, but 323i rides abit more comfort than 325i. Price is very affordable, somewhere in 80k for a 5 yr old car. Mileage is about 70k and i don't think its genuine. Most probably will be getting the E90 because F30 is abit over my budget and under my expectation except for the turbo 4 bangers. I still prefer BMW with N/A 6 cylinder, eventhough its no where faster than the N20. Perhaps a good remap and intake manifold mod (derived from 3litre N52) can make it up to par performance.

This 323i i test drove is better than the 325i i test drove earlier, this 323i is very engaging at any RPMs. That 325i must be suffered some issues. Managed to get from 0-100 in sub 7 secs range with 3 passengers. The earlier 325i was clocking near 9 secs ...

Comfort wise, F30 apparently is better cause its longer by almost 4 inches, the rear leg room is awesome. But cornering in F30 doesn't feel better than E90, dislike the weightless steering ...

Thanks,
Ken
I think you shouldn't shortchange yourself and test drive a few more 325i
If the 323i is good, a proper 325i should be better.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
I think you shouldn't shortchange yourself and test drive a few more 325i
If the 323i is good, a proper 325i should be better.
Test drove 2, both also got issues :( ... The owners before must have trashed them very hard till its state like now. Or if you have contact, please let me know :)

Thanks,
Ken

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Test drove 2, both also got issues :( ... The owners before must have trashed them very hard till its state like now. Or if you have contact, please let me know :)

Thanks,
Ken
Agree with Ixeo, you should test drive many more. Testing just 2 is not enough, should test at least 5. Got plenty of 325i on sale on the web, should be easy to just go out there and test as many as possible.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
The 3S-GTE is bulletproof but IIRC, they do not share all the same parts as those in MR2. Their tranny isn't so strong either, can't handle much power.
Caldinas are not a good buy. There are so many broken down models and you rarely ever see any on the road. My friends mechanic made his money from Caldinas too... he himself tells us to not buy Caldinas unless you want to give him business.

because all caldina's came stock as auto in here...

never saw a manual caldina unless it was converted....

and autobox+turbo engine+hoonigan driver= :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

and to be frank...everybody love sleek caldina body design including me.... but apart from that...

the design makes the car less usable...

as example, the boot/cargo area so small that alza got better boot space (in 5 seater configuration)...

rear headroom also nothing much to shout...

as i always call caldina as as glorified turbocharged bloated MYVI :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

*dont get me wrong.. i dont hate caldina...but just its more like a married supermodel... cant do house chores good enough.....nice to look... not really nice when u want to fully utilize her :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Agree with Ixeo, you should test drive many more. Testing just 2 is not enough, should test at least 5. Got plenty of 325i on sale on the web, should be easy to just go out there and test as many as possible.
Will do that if i have time on weekends, weekdays are super busy unless i am on leave. 325i of course should be better than 323i with its 218 hp N/A engine. I think i can easily get another 20hp will simple Intake and Exhaust mod + Remapping. Handling wise, its sort of perfect to me, but i would prefer 323i, less bumpy and adequate to take corners. My lady will be driving most of the time so comfort is very very very damn important to her.

Thanks,
Ken

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Having modded N/A, until now having a turbocharged boat. I wouldn't bother modding N/A cars. not even a filter.

esthapo

Trail Bomber
Mar 31, 2006
Sister'sBedroom
Will do that if i have time on weekends, weekdays are super busy unless i am on leave. 325i of course should be better than 323i with its 218 hp N/A engine. I think i can easily get another 20hp will simple Intake and Exhaust mod + Remapping. Handling wise, its sort of perfect to me, but i would prefer 323i, less bumpy and adequate to take corners. My lady will be driving most of the time so comfort is very very very damn important to her.

Thanks,
Ken
Theoretically 323i are detuned engine from 325i which got less power...yes u can mod it & bump it up to 325i horsepower but it ain't gonna be cheap & easy for NA engine...why hassle so much maybe just spend alil bit more time to find a good 325i and save the trouble...look for executive edition/non-M-sport for comfier ride

Most important get the ones with iDrive

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Having modded N/A, until now having a turbocharged boat. I wouldn't bother modding N/A cars. not even a filter.
Turbocharged boat haha ! Well i did enlist A4 1.8T into my choices, was very concern with the gearbox problem (CVT). The one i am looking at is 2012 ver.

Theoretically 323i are detuned engine from 325i which got less power...yes u can mod it & bump it up to 325i horsepower but it ain't gonna be cheap & easy for NA engine...why hassle so much maybe just spend alil bit more time to find a good 325i and save the trouble...look for executive edition/non-M-sport for comfier ride

Definitely LCI model, many issues have been rectified. Rule of thumb for me is to always buy facelifted model.

Thanks,
Ken

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
*dont get me wrong.. i dont hate caldina...but just its more like a married supermodel... cant do house chores good enough.....nice to look... not really nice when u want to fully utilize her :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Caldina a supermodel? I think at best a hand or face model. A full fledged supermodel is like a Lambo. Completely useless in doing anything except making you happy.

:biggrin:

s.marz

Known Member
Aug 10, 2016
Kuala Lumpur

Or you know... get a E90 330i :driver:

s.marz

Known Member
Aug 10, 2016
Kuala Lumpur
Caldina a supermodel? I think at best a hand or face model. A full fledged supermodel is like a Lambo. Completely useless in doing anything except making you happy.

:biggrin:
and just like a supermodel, costly to make them happy(read: maintain) hahahahaha