Subaru Impreza (GDB) WRX 2006 2.0T with Automatic Transmission ?

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Dear All,

Have seen quite a few ads on Subaru Impreza GDB 2006 WRX with automatic transmission. As far as i know, most WRX's are manual tranny. So my question is, are these legit automatic WRX or just a 1.6 Impreza with automatic tranny but advertised as 2.0T.

Smuldge

Sep 7, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Automatic GDA ver 9 WRX is available stock from the factory.
First way to identify is the availability of rear wipers for the Autorex as they are only found on JDM models ( at least for those in Singapore ).

Manual transmission models ( Euro Spec ) have no rear wipers.

Also to sidetrack, ver 10 Sti's I believe were the first to have an Automatic which can be differentiated externally by not having the black 4p2p Brembos as stock.

Hope this helps.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Automatic GDA ver 9 WRX is available stock from the factory.
First way to identify is the availability of rear wipers for the Autorex as they are only found on JDM models ( at least for those in Singapore ).

Manual transmission models ( Euro Spec ) have no rear wipers.

Also to sidetrack, ver 10 Sti's I believe were the first to have an Automatic which can be differentiated externally by not having the black 4p2p Brembos as stock.

Hope this helps.
Hi Smuldge,

I see, instead of GDB, the Automatic Ver 9 Impreza is called GDA if that's what you meant? Any spec differences in terms of AWD and engine?

Thanks,
Ken

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Dear All,

Have seen quite a few ads on Subaru Impreza GDB 2006 WRX with automatic transmission. As far as i know, most WRX's are manual tranny. So my question is, are these legit automatic WRX or just a 1.6 Impreza with automatic tranny but advertised as 2.0T.
if you want to tell if the advert is a lie (1.6 advertised as a 2.0), very easy, ask for a picture of the engine bay.... even a glance will tell you all you need to know. So far as that goes, i dont see any issues there.

I am however not sure if there ever a v9 GDB that came 'standard' as an auto (i know GDA's came in automatic formats bit not sure about the GDB's)

**incase you didnt already know, gda = wrx, gdb = wrx sti < these 2 are quite diferent

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
if you want to tell if the advert is a lie (1.6 advertised as a 2.0), very easy, ask for a picture of the engine bay.... even a glance will tell you all you need to know. So far as that goes, i dont see any issues there.

I am however not sure if there ever a v9 GDB that came 'standard' as an auto (i know GDA's came in automatic formats bit not sure about the GDB's)

**incase you didnt already know, gda = wrx, gdb = wrx sti < these 2 are quite diferent
Hi Ism1991,

It looks like a turbo'ed engine, since i can see the turbo piping and its top intercooler. Wonder what's the power figure and its AWD system.

Yup WRX sedan chassis is GDA, just knew it.

Thanks,
Ken

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Hi Smuldge,

I see, instead of GDB, the Automatic Ver 9 Impreza is called GDA if that's what you meant? Any spec differences in terms of AWD and engine?

Thanks,
Ken
Hi, Ken. It is a coincidence that my real name is called Ken too. :biggrin:

The WRX chassis are known as GDA while WRX STI chassis are known as GDB.

If you are comparing between GDA and GDB in terms of AWD and engine, they are different. If I am not mistaken, GDA are using EJ205 engine while GDB are using 2 litre EJ207 (only for Japanese market) or 2.5 litre EJ257 (for international market). The AWD differs because GDA are not equipped with DCCD unlike GDB.

As a great fan of the Impreza WRX STI, I hope I am able to help you on this thread.

Actually, a picture of the VIN number plate is enough. Anything that is not written as EJ207 or EJ257 on the engine type, then they are definitely not STI models.

From what I know no GDB Impreza WRX STI ever came with automatic transmission.

From the oldest WRX STI until now, all of them are never equipped with automatic transmission with the exception of GVF WRX STI (Version 10). Only for this generation, a 5 speed automatic transmission is available for WRX STI but they only came with EJ257 (2.5 litre) engines even for the Japanese market. The EJ207 (2 litre) is never paired with an automatic transmission before.

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Hi Ism1991,

It looks like a turbo'ed engine, since i can see the turbo piping and its top intercooler. Wonder what's the power figure and its AWD system.

Yup WRX sedan chassis is GDA, just knew it.

Thanks,
Ken
if anything post a pic here.... its quite easy to tell them part of its 'stock'.... once kacuk cacuk sini sana.. then question marks will start to form.

Smuldge

Sep 7, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
From the oldest WRX STI until now, all of them are never equipped with automatic transmission with the exception of GVF WRX STI (Version 10). Only for this generation, a 5 speed automatic transmission is available for WRX STI but they only came with EJ257 (2.5 litre) engines even for the Japanese market. The EJ207 (2 litre) is never paired with an automatic transmission before.
You Bro Ken, you are correct. Only the GRF (hatch) and GVF (Sedan) Ver 10s were Automatic STis and only mated with 2.5L engines.

But based on what Best Motoring shows, the auto transmission was nothing to shout about as compared to the SST on the Evo 10.

Strangely, most JDM GR STis being imported into Malaysia as recons are Autos. No idea why as enthusiasts would want to go for the the Manual transmission.

Useful info :
https://www.gtnet.co.jp/car_info/impression/impreza_impression/index_en.php

Sorry if I went off-topic as the original post was on the GDA/GDB.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
if anything post a pic here.... its quite easy to tell them part of its 'stock'.... once kacuk cacuk sini sana.. then question marks will start to form.
At the end, the best indicator is still the chassis VIN plate. But only if the seller is willing to show it.

Speaking of Impreza, converted cars are not so common unlike Evo. For Evo, majority of the CK Lancer based Evo are all converted from Lancer CK instead of being real CN9A or CP9A chassis. But those conversions are quite well done where many of them included brembo and recaro seats from the real Evo.

You Bro Ken, you are correct. Only the GRF (hatch) and GVF (Sedan) Ver 10s were Automatic STis and only mated with 2.5L engines.

But based on what Best Motoring shows, the auto transmission was nothing to shout about as compared to the SST on the Evo 10.

Strangely, most JDM GR STis being imported into Malaysia as recons are Autos. No idea why as enthusiasts would want to go for the the Manual transmission.

Useful info :

Well, if I am not wrong, the automatic transmission for GRF and GVF are actually torque converter automatic that is similar to normal automatic transmission. When it comes to shifting speed and power transfer from crank to gearbox, SST wins hands down since it is a double clutch gearbox. But that comes at a price because I heard maintenance for SST gearbox is not cheap and the gearbox requires a lot of extra care.

I think these recon car importers are actually targeting a wider market when they brought in auto GR and GV STI. I know a lot of young people nowadays are no longer attracted to traditional manual gearbox. They prefer cars with paddle shifters as they think that is easier and 'cooler'.

Well, luckily for the latest generation WRX STI, the VAB chassis, no automatic is offered. :biggrin:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Dear All,

Sorry i was missing in action from the Raya holidays ! Hereby i shared the mudah link, please kindly see what kind of Impreza is this. http://www.mudah.my/2007+Subaru+Impreza+2+0+WRX+A+-56103263.htm

It has a top mounted intercooler too, it should be a GDA Impreza with 5 speeder auto.

Thanks,
Ken
There are few things that I felt not right with this car. First of all, it says year 2007 but that is not the truth because in middle of 2005, GD chassis Impreza had already undergone the 2nd facelift (Version 9) which is known as hawkeye for some people. The one that is for sale is the 1st facelift (Version 8) that is manufactured in 2003 to 2005. From the interior air conditioning switches and rear wheel arch, I can tell that this is an early version of Version 8 because there is actually 2 versions of Version 8. The later version of Version 8, also known as Version 8.5 is more similar to Version 9. The interior is same as Version 9, PCD was changed to 100 compared to 114.3 before and there is this rear wheel arch extension. I'll put in some photo for you to differentiate the rear wheel arch.

Version 8.5 with the extended wheel arch similar to Version 9.

Version 8 without the extended wheel arch.

But whether is this applicable to WRX or not, I'm not too sure. I'm basing this on WRX STI. But still, the car is definitely not manufactured in 2007.

Price wise, 42.8k for a GDA WRX auto doesn't feel like it is worth it unless you really want an automatic Subaru Impreza turbo. Because Version 7 and Version 8 WRX STI could be had for a price that is slightly higher than this. WRX STI is better than this WRX in many aspects from chassis to equipment.

Smuldge

Sep 7, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Yes Bro Ken, you are correct. Only the GRF (hatch) and GVF (Sedan) Ver 10s were Automatic STis and only mated with 2.5L engines.

Useful info :

Edited, typo.

Smuldge

Sep 7, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
For manufacturing year, the VIN plate and seat belt label can help as well.
2005 was the last year of the ver8s and phase in of the ver 9s.

For the GDA WRX, there were no wider wheel arches and wheel PCD remained at 5x100.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

anyone selling those start/stop button ala pivot start button ?
i remember someone taht carries such button around 40-50 bucks ... EL lighted .
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience