Damper tuning on coilovers

jerrysiow

Known Member
Jan 3, 2012
Seremban
I got experience with hwl st-1, spring rate front 8k. Just too hard for normal street drive. Since my wira is light.
Been gone through damper tuning myself, one click by one click....
Yet, cant drive over 130kph. Very bouncy. My bone, butt can handle but safety is at risk. Bridge joint, toll bumps...etc just bone breaking for my mom but my son enjoy it.
6k front /4k rear is just nice. Reminder, don hope stock comfort on coilovers. We want is control, drivability.

Like izso mention, handling got many parts inter-related.
Coilovers, macam macam bar , rims, tyre, car weight...etc

Even before i jump to ftuned, dealer ask me msg Farouk.
Explanation from farouk about same as izso.
wakakakak I feel you bro when I was on my adjustable with spring rate 5KG front and 4KG back and 26 clicks front and 11 clicks on the back. The front passenger is still manage to accept the response from the road but for the rear passenger, they will complain after 10min ride. This make me phobia of ferry friends or colleagues out. They will start complain like my car pass over those bump (road repair) or yellow line (especially those toll with thich yellow line).

kurt_629

500 RPM
May 2, 2013
johor
actually quite embarrassing with such setup while people sitting in your car, commenting why the whole setup is horrible.

and somehow, you got to educate them.. telling the beauty of this setup..

but, hack them. you only live once, live it to the max :proud:

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
Damper setting is tricky loh.:banghead:
Set full hard is feel of jumping everywhere = like no suspension. Too hard, too soft also depend on driver butt.
Passenger butts is secondary. Agree to bro kurt_629.
Important is apply the setting at wavy, bumpy, here potholes there potholes road. Then will know how good the car handle straight at speed and corner.
Safety 1st. :driver:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
My car is kinda low. For previous persona with 195/55/15 front has around less then 1 finger gap and rear has 1 finger. So even with this spring rate maximum I can bring 1 passenger including driver. Or else tyre rub at the back. Hehehe
Wow! so low ah! and your rims offset must be pretty out, for tyres to scrub....:smokin:

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
My car is kinda low. For previous persona with 195/55/15 front has around less then 1 finger gap and rear has 1 finger. So even with this spring rate maximum I can bring 1 passenger including driver. Or else tyre rub at the back. Hehehe
If it's low already, then changing to lower spring rates may cause more scrub. Another factor for your consideration.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I think his is full adjustable, so should have body shift. Softer springs, body shift higher loh.....

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
conclusion:
I give up..
less than 80km, its still comfortable.. at least, self deceive..
more than 140km, come dance with me in the car.
hence, not many want to sit in my car..
I will wait for the day for the coilover to be 'kong' before I go back to stock...
old man's bones can't take much of the rocking nowadays..
What do you drive? Perhaps you need thicker tyre profile to offset for comfort.

My persona mostly I alone drive so for me so far 8k/4k setup wasn't that bad yet. Plus using it for college only mostly and 80-90% highway use only. At first read few forums and got scared chassis will crack with hard springs then decided to throw in front and rear strut bars to reduce the tension at each tower (or to transfer sikit the load to other side). Still trying few different combination of damper settings. Lets see how. Hahahaha. If no swap 6/4 or all around 5k

Your chassis is not made of tofu. So no need to worry about cracking your chassis especially since you're only daily driving it around the city. Not track use.

Actually with stiffer springs, if you carry more weight (passengers) the ride is better. This happens to my VR. If alone very bumpy, but with 4 to 5 passengers the ride pretty good.....lol:rofl:
yeah, I have the same case :biggrin: but i like single driving cuz with people it's more comfortable but heavier by a lot

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
What do you drive? Perhaps you need thicker tyre profile to offset for comfort.

yeah, I have the same case :biggrin: but i like single driving cuz with people it's more comfortable but heavier by a lot
He drives a Perdana Evo3.....:driver:

Yup, I prefer drive alone also. Full load get comfort but drain power......lol:biggrin:

GuyInPersona

Known Member
Sep 27, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
Wow! so low ah! and your rims offset must be pretty out, for tyres to scrub....:smokin:
For that tyre profile have to. Or else look cacat...big body small leg hahaha...offset 35 on 7j

If it's low already, then changing to lower spring rates may cause more scrub. Another factor for your consideration.
Yea some have said the same thing also even before i bought it they said kyb pro rs also cant use (i thought of getting it first)

Your chassis is not made of tofu. So no need to worry about cracking your chassis especially since you're only daily driving it around the city. Not track use.
Hahahaha that time super noob, now normal noob:biggrin::biggrin:

GuyInPersona

Known Member
Sep 27, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
Offset 35 plus tyres already at par with outer fender. Looks nice but will get tyre scrubbing problem. Fenders roll already?:smokin:
Fenders didn't roll yet...hahahaha because as i said 99% of the time alone in the car so no rub that time.

bro guyinpersona, picture please lahhh.
this thread. Share some story http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/showthread.php?t=465130
Bro renesis very busy working dy...lol :deal:
I already posted over there bro the other day
This one la my car. Nothing much, still noob in moding part

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hey guys! need help!

ive one (1) BMW e30 318i now is stock engine but now i would liked to change me engine within SR20 dett or RB20.

what is your recommended/opion?

which is better for my car body?

which engine is good for car modification in future?

help me yaw! thank you
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience