Damper tuning on coilovers

GuyInPersona

Known Member
Sep 27, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
thats too hard spring rate for street...

swap front spring with 5k spring and rear to 3k spring...then only u can play with damping setting to your liking....

with that current spring only good for track, no amount of damping adjustment can help much...
So let's say I don't care comfort. Handling is more important. Then based on this spring rates at around how many clicks should I set ? My adjustable has 15 clicks. Because I wanted a good handling compared to comfort.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
So let's say I don't care comfort. Handling is more important. Then based on this spring rates at around how many clicks should I set ? My adjustable has 15 clicks. Because I wanted a good handling compared to comfort.
like i said... 8k spring rate not suitable for road use....it would works great on track use with high grip tyre....but handling not just about absorbers...

if u want to maintain that high spring rate u need better grip tyre, and more detailed alignment+camber setting....

i cant say how many click to set because i'm not the one driving it....and i'm not sure what kind of road condition u were facing....

and u want handling over comfort...there is a lot more than just setting up the damper setting...

1-u need correct ride height
2-u need properly sized anti roll bar front and rear
3-u need proper alignment and camber
4-u need proper spring rate to start with before setting up the damping setting
5-u need proper tyre to fully utilize the potential....but if u decide to get better grip tyre...or just retain your current tyre...u still need to do 1-2-3-4 all of those step above before able to look into 5 and then enjoy full handling potential...

so before u start thinkering about anything.... get the spring rate correct for you usage first....like i've suggested above... 5k front and 3k rear.....or atleast 5k front with 4k rear....

GuyInPersona

Known Member
Sep 27, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
like i said... 8k spring rate not suitable for road use....it would works great on track use with high grip tyre....but handling not just about absorbers...

if u want to maintain that high spring rate u need better grip tyre, and more detailed alignment+camber setting....

i cant say how many click to set because i'm not the one driving it....and i'm not sure what kind of road condition u were facing....

and u want handling over comfort...there is a lot more than just setting up the damper setting...

1-u need correct ride height
2-u need properly sized anti roll bar front and rear
3-u need proper alignment and camber
4-u need proper spring rate to start with before setting up the damping setting
5-u need proper tyre to fully utilize the potential....but if u decide to get better grip tyre...or just retain your current tyre...u still need to do 1-2-3-4 all of those step above before able to look into 5 and then enjoy full handling potential...

so before u start thinkering about anything.... get the spring rate correct for you usage first....like i've suggested above... 5k front and 3k rear.....or atleast 5k front with 4k rear....
Alright thanks bro, will invest on the springs next before moving on other mods

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Alright thanks bro, will invest on the springs next before moving on other mods
I have a different take compared to what Pomen said. If you can handle 8k springs and don't feel too bad in terms of comfort - I would just stick with them and fiddle with the damper hard/soft setting. Comfort is relative. Some people can take more bumps than other people.

Btw, having played with pre-loading and read about it online, pre-loading is pointless apparently. Spring reaction is the same whether loaded or not, you are just restricting how far the springs can compress and un-compress (decompress?). Just set the springs to allow for maximum spring movement. Then adjust the bodyshift to get the desired ride height. Too low and you will affect your drive shafts and suspension bushes so don't go all slammed unless that was your goal all along.

Anyway, I dunno what characteristics your absorbers have. But what I did with my old BC Racing was I stared at 10 (max was 30 clicks) and slowly increased it by 2 clicks everytime I found it was too soft or something was wrong. Increase 2 clicks, but if needed I can decrease 1 click or 2. Keep increasing the clicks until it's too hard, that's when you dial it down. When you increase, you increase front and back together.

kurt_629

500 RPM
May 2, 2013
johor
i don't understand what you guys wrote..

like TS, I running on 8k 4k rear..
eibach oversize anti roll bar..
wide tyre with japan rim..
softest setting
spent unnecessary money on driveshaft and lower arms until I don't even bother to look at them.

conclusion:
I give up..
less than 80km, its still comfortable.. at least, self deceive..
more than 140km, come dance with me in the car.
hence, not many want to sit in my car..
I will wait for the day for the coilover to be 'kong' before I go back to stock...
old man's bones can't take much of the rocking nowadays..

*p.s: if anyone want to donate a 5k spring, I will love you to bits

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
Bro kurt, yup that 140km feels. Very agree.
I use hwl st1 for one year. 8k/4k. After collect comments from friends, few pomen.
Never cross my mind to replace 8k to 6k spring. Which i sold whole set for 700.
Luckily can sell it.
Do my homework finally decide ftuned 6k/4k.

I din say HWL not good. Not suitable for my wira setup. Other wira, maybe OK kut.
Just cant get it right no matter how patient i am. The nearest Fr 8 clicks, rear 10 clicks from soft. Drivable but handling still bad at speed or cornering on bumpy/wavy road. The uncertain feeling scare me yet teach me how to control car.
The feel of car jumping, and duno where the steering response. For wira, 8k front spring is too hard.
Check steering rack, joint...etc. All OK.
Flat road very nice. :driver: since Balik pulau newly tarred, syok lah.

Is up to TS car and butt. Maybe 8k spring good for persona.?

Last edited:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I use hwl st1 for one year. 8k/4k. After collect comments from friends, few pomen.
Luckily can sell it.

I din say HWL not good. Not suitable for my wira setup. Other wira, maybe OK kut.
Just cant get it right no matter how patient i am. The nearest Fr 8 clicks, rear 10 clicks from soft. Drivable but handling still bad at speed or cornering on bumpy/wavy road. The uncertain feeling scare me yet teach me how to control car.
The feel of car jumping, and duno where the steering response. For wira, 8k front spring is too hard.

That is why my car less people sit. Family go out normally use wife's car......lol:biggrin::driver:

GuyInPersona

Known Member
Sep 27, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
My persona mostly I alone drive so for me so far 8k/4k setup wasn't that bad yet. Plus using it for college only mostly and 80-90% highway use only. At first read few forums and got scared chassis will crack with hard springs then decided to throw in front and rear strut bars to reduce the tension at each tower (or to transfer sikit the load to other side). Still trying few different combination of damper settings. Lets see how. Hahahaha. If no swap 6/4 or all around 5k

GuyInPersona

Known Member
Sep 27, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
Luckily can sell it.

Maybe because persona is slightly heavier by few puluh kg i think so a bit better. But still can feel the throw at highspeed :biggrin::biggrin:

But what I am surprise is most of the myvis using 6/4 on their coilovers and the car weighs less then 1000kg

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Maybe because persona is slightly heavier by few puluh kg i think so a bit better. But still can feel the throw at highspeed
If your car is low, you won't feel the throw that much. Lower center of gravity. Braking also improves some what. Downside is difficulty in getting out of car & the glare of other vehicle's headlights.

Then again, to get really lowered, you will require stiff springs. High speed travel may be a bit jumpy.

To simplify, if you dont need it that lowered, you dont need springs that stiff

Last edited:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
My persona mostly I alone drive so for me so far 8k/4k setup wasn't that bad yet. Plus using it for college only mostly and 80-90% highway use only. At first read few forums and got scared chassis will crack with hard springs then decided to throw in front and rear strut bars to reduce the tension at each tower (or to transfer sikit the load to other side). Still trying few different combination of damper settings. Lets see how. Hahahaha. If no swap 6/4 or all around 5k
Actually with stiffer springs, if you carry more weight (passengers) the ride is better. This happens to my VR. If alone very bumpy, but with 4 to 5 passengers the ride pretty good.....lol:rofl:

GuyInPersona

Known Member
Sep 27, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
My car is kinda low. For previous persona with 195/55/15 front has around less then 1 finger gap and rear has 1 finger. So even with this spring rate maximum I can bring 1 passenger including driver. Or else tyre rub at the back. Hehehe

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Car: my stock Honda Accord CF0 /S84

Floating feel. Really miss the EG ride feel.
Someone recommend change to sport spring only. Keep the stock absorber.
I am in low budget mode now, any suggestions from bros here?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience