Mazda 3 2.0L Skyactiv

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Who's driving one? This car seems to be the best buy at the moment. Civic is a better car in terms of powertrain IMO, but the entire feature/suite, with the i-ActivSense on the M3 makes it a better car overall.

https://paultan.org/2017/01/24/2017-mazda-3-facelift-launched-in-thailand/

When the facelift comes, it will add radar cruise control, G-Vectoring.. bloody hell the feature suite puts it almost on par with S-Class...

Sadly we don't have the 2.5L engine option. RM125k for the High Spec. Another RM10k for the 2.5L engine, then its a winner over the Honda Civic 1.5L T-P

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Civic is a numb down by the CVT. This Mazda 3 is not CVT right?
Btw what are these features for?
- Emergency Signal System
- rear cross traffic alert
- Smart City Brake Support (front and rear)

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Civic is a numb down by the CVT. This Mazda 3 is not CVT right?
Btw what are these features for?
- Emergency Signal System
- rear cross traffic alert
- Smart City Brake Support (front and rear)
6 speed skyactiv automatic gearbox. (Conventional auto)
Emergency signal - at speed when you brake hard the double signal will come on to alert cars behind you.

Rear cross traffic alert - blind spot monitoring. If you signal and there's a car in your blind spot it will make an audible alarm sound.

Smart city brake support - allegedly stops the car from hitting the car in front under 30km/h. Auto brake.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
6 speed skyactiv automatic gearbox. (Conventional auto)
Emergency signal - at speed when you brake hard the double signal will come on to alert cars behind you.

Rear cross traffic alert - blind spot monitoring. If you signal and there's a car in your blind spot it will make an audible alarm sound.

Smart city brake support - allegedly stops the car from hitting the car in front under 30km/h. Auto brake.
With conventional auto then it will be better than the Civic. Power figure also seems very closely matched with the Civic.

That rear cross traffic alert sound similar to the lane departure warning, no? Or lane departure warning is warning if you change lane without giving signal?
Smart City brake, how it's different than the brake assist? Brake assist also like auto brake, is it?

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
It's not lane departure warning. I feel LDW is retarded.

Brake assist just applies more braking force when you brake. It doesn't help you brake.

If Civic full spec is the same as North American full spec, then at the asking price it's worth it. But as usually Honda Malaysia is short changing us.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
It's not lane departure warning. I feel LDW is retarded.

Brake assist just applies more braking force when you brake. It doesn't help you brake.

If Civic full spec is the same as North American full spec, then at the asking price it's worth it. But as usually Honda Malaysia is short changing us.
Ok so now this is your next target car to consider? I thought last time you want Golf GTI, no?

Jose

Known Member
Aug 3, 2006
Subang Jaya
the interior built and quality use are also one step above other japanese makers.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Too bad that we are not getting any manual variants from Mazda. I checked Mazda Japan website recently and I am surprised that they still offer 6 speed manual for Mazda 3 and Mazda 6 over there. Even for the SUV CX-3 is available in manual in Japan. Most people there don't even drive very often and even if they do, mostly would be city driving. Yet manual variant is offered there.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Ok so now this is your next target car to consider? I thought last time you want Golf GTI, no?
Golf GTi Mk7 costs brand new with tech pack: RM227,888
Cheapest I found, used 2014 car: RM139,880
http://www.mudah.my/Volkswagen+Golf+GTi+2+0+A+MK7+Turbo-52537291.htm

BMW 320i Sport brand new: RM241,800
Cheapest I found, used 2015 car: RM142,800
http://www.mudah.my/2015+BMW+320i+2+0+A+-52374394.htm

Golf GTi prices don't make sense, because GTi.

I'm not "targeting" Mazda 3, just evaluating it for discussion. Forum a bit slow these days and I'm bored. If I were in the market for a ~RM120k brand new car, I'd buy the Mazda 3 because of all the kit. The Honda Civic *is* a good car, but its not as well featured as the Mazda 3.

I like the upcoming Mazda3 looks. I'd wait for the upcoming model
You mean the facelift right? Of course. That being said, we are halfway through the Mazda3 life cycle... Whereas the all new CX-5 will be launching in Malaysia soon.. the current CX-5 2.0 full spec is an additional ~RM22k over the Mazda3 full spec. Frankly, if the CX-5 is well spec, I'd bite the RM22k and go for it. Cause you're getting an all new platform, all new car, but with the same powertrain as the Mazda. Which is why the Mazda3 is an extremely good bargain frankly.

Too bad that we are not getting any manual variants from Mazda. I checked Mazda Japan website recently and I am surprised that they still offer 6 speed manual for Mazda 3 and Mazda 6 over there. Even for the SUV CX-3 is available in manual in Japan. Most people there don't even drive very often and even if they do, mostly would be city driving. Yet manual variant is offered there.
Manual for this class of cars is irrelevant for the masses. Likewise the sales is irrelevant. Its only relevant for enthusiasts, and majority of the car buyers are NOT enthusiasts. I'd gladly have a Lotus Elise in manual, but a BMW 328i? That fantastic 8 speed ZF thank you very much.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Golf GTi Mk7 costs brand new with tech pack: RM227,888
Cheapest I found, used 2014 car: RM139,880
http://www.mudah.my/Volkswagen+Golf+GTi+2+0+A+MK7+Turbo-52537291.htm

BMW 320i Sport brand new: RM241,800
Cheapest I found, used 2015 car: RM142,800
http://www.mudah.my/2015+BMW+320i+2+0+A+-52374394.htm

Golf GTi prices don't make sense, because GTi.

I'm not "targeting" Mazda 3, just evaluating it for discussion. Forum a bit slow these days and I'm bored. If I were in the market for a ~RM120k brand new car, I'd buy the Mazda 3 because of all the kit. The Honda Civic *is* a good car, but its not as well featured as the Mazda 3.

For used German cars, I'd rather get a 328i F30 at about those price range, just a bit older.

Ic, hmm ok the Mazda 3 does seem to be the best choice in terms of spec and features but somehow I don't really dig the exterior look of it. To me it looks like misproportioned shape with the nose too long and the rear looks too short like something chopped the tail off a bit. But yeah if someone point a gun at me to choose one, I'd probably choose this Mazda 3 as well coz I also don't like the Civic with its crab claw taillight design, the boring much slower Sylphy and Altis, plus all those 3 use CVT instead of conventional auto in the Mazda 3. However I would not choose the high end spec with all the bells and whistles electronic driver aids coz they're not necessary for me, or actually can be annoying.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Manual for this class of cars is irrelevant for the masses. Likewise the sales is irrelevant. Its only relevant for enthusiasts, and majority of the car buyers are NOT enthusiasts. I'd gladly have a Lotus Elise in manual, but a BMW 328i? That fantastic 8 speed ZF thank you very much.
There are some enthusiasts that might want a manual for a daily driven car. Something like Lotus Elise manual are a bit unpractical to be a daily driven car. Looking at our market now, there really isn't much manual offerings to choose from if I wanted to get a new car that is comfortable by today's standards. What else can I choose? Vios and Almera manual? The Inspira 1.8 manual had already been discontinued.

Being able to get a manual variant in this segment sounds good to me. I can enjoy shifting the gears myself, experience faster throttle response and at the same time still able to enjoy all the modern features of a new car like those you mentioned earlier. And still able to get acceptable or good mileage for FC.

jerrysiow

Known Member
Jan 3, 2012
Seremban
There are some enthusiasts that might want a manual for a daily driven car. Something like Lotus Elise manual are a bit unpractical to be a daily driven car. Looking at our market now, there really isn't much manual offerings to choose from if I wanted to get a new car that is comfortable by today's standards. What else can I choose? Vios and Almera manual? The Inspira 1.8 manual had already been discontinued.

Being able to get a manual variant in this segment sounds good to me. I can enjoy shifting the gears myself, experience faster throttle response and at the same time still able to enjoy all the modern features of a new car like those you mentioned earlier. And still able to get acceptable or good mileage for FC.
If you do some research on new BMW, their fc is very low (might even lower than manual myvi) and the throttle response is fantastic pair with the 8 speeders. Nowadays, conventional auto is not like the old day where having higher fc and slower response.

hon_cs

Known Member
Jan 23, 2004
Ipoh
Skyactive 6spd close 1 eye can beat cvt few tiang. Talking about civicT, I just went for test drive recently and the response is so so disappointed. The only compliment to civic is it feels solid and comfort when going through the bump and rough road. Wife Mazda2 also 6spd and it beats my Lgt kaw kaw. The best part is it manages pushed me to seat when full throttle.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Here it is, finally and exclusively on NihonCar.com, one of or probably THE most anticipated Japanese sportscars matchup of the year: the everlasting battle between two kings of rally stages over the last decades; the Subaru Impreza WRX STi versus the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X!

Over the past few years we had the privilege to test drive some pretty amazing and exclusive cars by each of those two manufacturers, for example...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience