Old School Cars Discussion

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Nope, I mean new Generations of youngsters, prefer new car of course. Some don't even know how to take care of the car yet. Anything send to workshop....:biggrin:
oops... yup, cant argue with that....sadly true. actually if its something major i would send to kedai also hehehe

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
No temp gauge, by the time red shows may be too late dy......lol

Yup, the cover just make it looks nice...haha
Subaru have removed it, My forester without already, seems it contain heat. WRX model still have but they have opening to let heat out. Opening like the hood grill...:driver:

No problem with the brakes normally they don't open up. Adjust hand brakes, check for leaks and change brake shoes then need to open up. Wira rear brakes also need to check the pumps, most of the time leaks....lol
If got problem like my thermostat issue last time, sure too late already if wait until red. Or if got small blockage at radiator also can't detect because temperature won't reach red so early. Until it reaches red, probably very badly jammed inside.

Din't know your Forester NA engine have cover. Thought it is like XV, no cover, showing the intake manifolds directly. I know the XT turbo had a cover.

So far, I don't feel like there is anything wrong with the handbrake efficiency. I guess it is still fine.

Most people nowadays think old = not good. I think thats pretty stupid, since they are just normal consumers that only know how to drive. For instance was talking to my friends about the toyota soarer for sale at sakan auto for 78K. Explaining to them that its a JDM car in mint condition with RWD and multi link independent suspension means nothing to them. Oohh its a 28 year old car not worth that much...frustrating to talk to non car people. I bet even if they saw a Skyline Hakosuka they would just say its old junk...
No point explaining these to people who are not into it. I remember you said you drive an old Proton Saga right? To some people, they might even think that your Saga and probably my Wira are just some old junk cars that is inferior to every new car out there no matter how good the condition is on our old cars.

Funny when people and tell me "oh, to me, car is just a vehicle for me to travel from point A to B, that's all." Then later when want to choose for car, this car don't want, that car don't want. Ugly, not nice, I want a tall car not low car, engine looks underpowered, bla bla. Underpowered? Some of them don't even know what is hp and torque...

Just like that day was observing my mechanic overhaul a newer model camry that overheated. He mentioned older cast iron engine if overheat won't go out of shape unlike newer aluminum alloy engine have to re bore and re sleeve totally
Honda B series engine is also made out of aluminum block... If overheat, good bye then... :banghead:

Nowadays Cheap and easy to maintain......Accessories can add on later.......lol
I don't think new cars will be cheap to maintain if anything happens. Now I heard that engine oil viscosity for new Perodua cars can be as thin as 0W-20? Not suitable to use 10W-40 I think.

A young friend of mine, 25 years old loves new honda cars so much. He bought a new city last year.
He keeps telling me to just buy new cars. He don't know how to fix cars btw. Struggling with the car payments too.
To most people the car below is junk, but little do they know its worth more than a new honda accord.

KPGC10 is gold of course... Probably no 2nd generation GT-R (R32,R33,R34) can match the price of this... Unless you are talking about limited versions like 400R, Z-tune...

Speaking of installments, I really got frightened by how much a yearly cost can go for a new car... Checked the new Proton Saga 1.3 manual base spec financing sheet.... I calculated and it looks far more expensive than maintaining my own Wira. Yes, including all the repairs that I have gone through so far. I'll list out the rough calculation here.

Price : RM36k
Installment : RM488 (7 years)
Downpayment : RM3600
Insurance :RM1200

So, what I have calculated is a year of installment = RM5856
Yearly installment + insurance = RM7056

After 7 years without insurance = RM40992
After 7 years with insurance =RM49392

Haven't add in the downpayment cost... If so, RM44592 (without insurance), RM52992 (with insurance)

Just a base spec Proton Saga will probably cost you RM50k for 7 years... From what I know, my Wira's insurance is at around RM380 a year... All the repair costs that came up so far during my 3 years of usage only came up to around RM4k. Including 4 new tyres change as well...

At this rate, I rather just drive my Wira and repair or perhaps mod something instead of buying a new car... Unless my salary is very high... If fresh grad salary around RM2k plus and pay for Saga installment, every month I'm going to be drained very dry... Might as well save up the extra money for some weekend car next time or probably save up for other things for future...

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
Drive wira ok what.....I drive old sentra, even new car must give way or get scratch at Junction cross ...hehehe

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Drive wira ok what.....I drive old sentra, even new car must give way or get scratch at Junction cross ...hehehe
Of course I like to drive Wira. Even with 90hp, it still feels fun to drive since it is a manual. More powerful than Myvi 1.3 manual that I had at home even though K3-VE gives out the same hp output and is more high tech than 4G15. 16 valve, DOHC, VVT-i... Still, 4G15 feels more fun and powerful. Maybe higher torque?

Independent rear suspension is a good thing too. Can use 4 coilover suspension if want to mod to adjustables. Now most new cars comes with torsion beam at rear, what to mod there. Less things to mod and play with.

Looking at the new base spec Saga 1.3 manual, it does look very basic for the interior... Feels like if I change my Wira for that, I don't think I can feel much improvements. Dashboard and trim quality feels very plastic, like worse than Wira. Other cars like Vios manual or Almera manual, I don't feel like getting one either... The installment cost will be two times more than Saga but yet, I can't see the gains and improvements in those cars are worth it. Perhaps can consider used Inspira 1.8 manual... It is a Lancer, sort of like a successor to Wira. And it shares even more similarities with Lancer than Wira.

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Of course I like to drive Wira. Even with 90hp, it still feels fun to drive since it is a manual. More powerful than Myvi 1.3 manual that I had at home even though K3-VE gives out the same hp output and is more high tech than 4G15. 16 valve, DOHC, VVT-i... Still, 4G15 feels more fun and powerful. Maybe higher torque?

Independent rear suspension is a good thing too. Can use 4 coilover suspension if want to mod to adjustables. Now most new cars comes with torsion beam at rear, what to mod there. Less things to mod and play with.

Looking at the new base spec Saga 1.3 manual, it does look very basic for the interior... Feels like if I change my Wira for that, I don't think I can feel much improvements. Dashboard and trim quality feels very plastic, like worse than Wira. Other cars like Vios manual or Almera manual, I don't feel like getting one either... The installment cost will be two times more than Saga but yet, I can't see the gains and improvements in those cars are worth it. Perhaps can consider used Inspira 1.8 manual... It is a Lancer, sort of like a successor to Wira. And it shares even more similarities with Lancer than Wira.
if you want a mildly sporty modern sedan, u cant go wrong with the inspira... pretty decent car all in all....if anything, its just missing vsc compared to the cars of its class. if you wana molest/massage the fella to free some extra horsies also not difficult... parts plentiful...

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang

Good choice, inspira. have lancer DNA.
"EVO X ready " no matter u like it or not.....:rofl:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
If got problem like my thermostat issue last time, sure too late already if wait until red. Or if got small blockage at radiator also can't detect because temperature won't reach red so early. Until it reaches red, probably very badly jammed inside.

Din't know your Forester NA engine have cover. Thought it is like XV, no cover, showing the intake manifolds directly. I know the XT turbo had a cover.

So far, I don't feel like there is anything wrong with the handbrake efficiency. I guess it is still fine.

No point explaining these to people who are not into it. I remember you said you drive an old Proton Saga right? To some people, they might even think that your Saga and probably my Wira are just some old junk cars that is inferior to every new car out there no matter how good the condition is on our old cars.

Funny when people and tell me "oh, to me, car is just a vehicle for me to travel from point A to B, that's all." Then later when want to choose for car, this car don't want, that car don't want. Ugly, not nice, I want a tall car not low car, engine looks underpowered, bla bla. Underpowered? Some of them don't even know what is hp and torque...

Honda B series engine is also made out of aluminum block... If overheat, good bye then... :banghead:

I don't think new cars will be cheap to maintain if anything happens. Now I heard that engine oil viscosity for new Perodua cars can be as thin as 0W-20? Not suitable to use 10W-40 I think.

KPGC10 is gold of course... Probably no 2nd generation GT-R (R32,R33,R34) can match the price of this... Unless you are talking about limited versions like 400R, Z-tune...

Speaking of installments, I really got frightened by how much a yearly cost can go for a new car... Checked the new Proton Saga 1.3 manual base spec financing sheet.... I calculated and it looks far more expensive than maintaining my own Wira. Yes, including all the repairs that I have gone through so far. I'll list out the rough calculation here.

Price : RM36k
Installment : RM488 (7 years)
Downpayment : RM3600
Insurance :RM1200

So, what I have calculated is a year of installment = RM5856
Yearly installment + insurance = RM7056

After 7 years without insurance = RM40992
After 7 years with insurance =RM49392

Haven't add in the downpayment cost... If so, RM44592 (without insurance), RM52992 (with insurance)

Just a base spec Proton Saga will probably cost you RM50k for 7 years... From what I know, my Wira's insurance is at around RM380 a year... All the repair costs that came up so far during my 3 years of usage only came up to around RM4k. Including 4 new tyres change as well...

At this rate, I rather just drive my Wira and repair or perhaps mod something instead of buying a new car... Unless my salary is very high... If fresh grad salary around RM2k plus and pay for Saga installment, every month I'm going to be drained very dry... Might as well save up the extra money for some weekend car next time or probably save up for other things for future...

That's the realistic cost....but not many young grad youngster want to know.
They know that they are entitled to have a new car once they have graduated.
They know they more entitled to have a new car esp. when they have found a job.

Downpayment for the new car?? Papa or mama will settle mar
Monthly installment?? hansum boy and young graduate will enjoy life and probably have enuf to support his life and lifestyle....from his salary. Got marney go enjoy holiday with GF.

When monthly installments due but still no marney....papa or mama will settle...becoz donwan the son to malu when bank come tarik their car. Die die have to cough up the money in any situation.

When time to pay insurance and roadtax, look for mama or papa. Surely will cover becoz parents scared their son masuk lokap. hahahahah

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
if you want a mildly sporty modern sedan, u cant go wrong with the inspira... pretty decent car all in all....if anything, its just missing vsc compared to the cars of its class. if you wana molest/massage the fella to free some extra horsies also not difficult... parts plentiful...
For cars in that era, it will only be either Inspira 1.8 manual or Civic FD 2.0 and convert to 6 speed manual later. Sure, FD had a better reputation and probably better handling, but too bad FD is more expensive and gearbox conversion is troublesome. Altis, Mazda 3, Sylphy I think if want convert manual also too difficult.

VSC doesn't matter. Already living with a Wira without VSC, won't make much difference. :biggrin: Plus if Inspira, use 225/45/18 tyres also should provide enough traction.

Good choice, inspira. have lancer DNA.
"EVO X ready " no matter u like it or not.....:rofl:
Yeah, that is the thing. Can get a lot of aftermarket support too. Evo X parts probably can be used.

That's the realistic cost....but not many young grad youngster want to know.
They know that they are entitled to have a new car once they have graduated.
They know they more entitled to have a new car esp. when they have found a job.

Downpayment for the new car?? Papa or mama will settle mar
Monthly installment?? hansum boy and young graduate will enjoy life and probably have enuf to support his life and lifestyle....from his salary. Got marney go enjoy holiday with GF.

When monthly installments due but still no marney....papa or mama will settle...becoz donwan the son to malu when bank come tarik their car. Die die have to cough up the money in any situation.

When time to pay insurance and roadtax, look for mama or papa. Surely will cover becoz parents scared their son masuk lokap. hahahahah
Seriously, when add up these costs, it really frightens me. I rather just sit in Wira for 10 more years and save up... 10 years later, probably can save up some money and income might be higher than fresh grad years... Can actually consider paying cash for something like Impreza WRX STI. Ver 9 price at that time probably might drop to as low as 50k... Or I might not be into cars anymore if married, hahahaha. :rofl:

You are right about fresh grad thought they are entitled for a new car. Like a friend of mine that I mentioned before. Just started working 2 months ago. Earns around 3k plus which is not bad for fresh grad. Here he is, saying want to buy HR-V or CX-3. I ask when? He said maybe one year later. I did a calculation for him and ask are you serious? He said yeah, will manage it. :confused:

He is more inclined towards CX-3. RM131k car... And I think he wants a 9 year loan... I told him,

Monthly installment = Around 1.4k
Insurance = RM3.9k
Roadtax = RM400 plus

Well, I can't really imagine how a RM3k plus salary fresh grad can handle such a car... Since he doesn't own a car before, I told him don't forget petrol bill. And service which is like 5000km interval. Minimum also at least 2 times a year if you often drive the car. Service is not cheap for this kind of car especially you go back to SC. I also told him the 18 inch tyres will probably at least cost you RM500 a piece. He said not to worry about that first. I replied, yeah, but 3 or 4 years later you will need to fork out at least RM2k for one set of tyres. I did say you better pray that your car is perfectly fine throughout these 9 years of installment period. If not, any damage comes and not covered by warranty, you will need to pay for the repairs on top of your monthly installment.

The costs of owning a normal SUV like CX-3 is like owning a 90s JDM sports car... Crazy...

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I also drive old Mitsu only......lol:biggrin:

My kids like bro. Ken, all get hand me down cars. Car are paid for, no need sell at a lost, and when income stable they take over the maintenance.....lol

Last edited:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
I also drive old Mitsu only......lol:biggrin:

My kids like bro. Ken, all get hand me down cars. Car are paid for, no need sell at a lost, and when income stable they take over the maintenance.....lol
Mitsubishi always got legendary status over here. Look at the crazy amount some of those Lancer CB are selling. Just because they wear the Mitsubishi badge and they are not perfect either. Badge difference. Proton and Mitsubishi. Mitsubishi price can jump to 4 times higher although it is not 4 times better than the rebadged Proton.

My real name revealed, hahahahaha. :biggrin: Your kids seems to be very well educated and not influenced by the youngster mentality in KL. Drive old cars also no complain. My same aged Ipoh friends who went to KL for study, many already got infected by the KL youngster mentality. Talking about brand image and all that. Urgh... :banghead: Some even pick up drinking alcohol, clubbing and smoking even when they are still in college or uni... You wouldn't believe that these people have turned this way considering few years ago in secondary school, they are like some of the most well behaved students around. At most they will do last time is just skipping school once in a while and go to cyber cafe. People change really fast when they go to KL and live alone.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Looking back time when I was a kid, I thought spending my pocket money (mostly 20cents coins) at arcade, on Street Fighter game was bad.......but nothing compared to spoilt kids thesedays wasting money on booze, clubbing, ciggy, gadgets, modding cars and maybe drugs....Money never enuf like that. "Donno how to find money, but oredi know how to enjoy" as the sayin goes...

No wonder that Jobstreet.com have reported that the no.1 problem of unemployment among fresh grad today is their (unrealistic) demand for their salary. Some have asked for RM6500/month, with zero workin experience. When asked why......they say they were the Top-Student in their class wor....

Seems that these days, there are craploads of full-As students in Malaysia.....however they are mostly on-paper results. Our schools and uni are churning out thousands and thousands of full-A students year after year....but many have problem securing a job.

So, at the end we have plenty of uni grads, but with very little quality ones...
Maybe later, their university scroll can be used to wrap nasi lemak, for all its worth...

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Looking back time when I was a kid, I thought spending my pocket money (mostly 20cents coins) at arcade, on Street Fighter game was bad.......but nothing compared to spoilt kids thesedays wasting money on booze, clubbing, ciggy, gadgets, modding cars and maybe drugs....Money never enuf like that. "Donno how to find money, but oredi know how to enjoy" as the sayin goes...

No wonder that Jobstreet.com have reported that the no.1 problem of unemployment among fresh grad today is their (unrealistic) demand for their salary. Some have asked for RM6500/month, with zero workin experience. When asked why......they say they were the Top-Student in their class wor....

Seems that these days, there are craploads of full-As students in Malaysia.....however they are mostly on-paper results. Our schools and uni are churning out thousands and thousands of full-A students year after year....but many have problem securing a job.

So, at the end we have plenty of uni grads, but with very little quality ones...
Maybe later, their university scroll can be used to wrap nasi lemak, for all its worth...
Hmm, actually how old are you now? Never got to ask you this.

RM6500 a month? Some people work at office until retirement also did not get RM6500. No company is going to spend so much on hiring a new person with 0 experience. I think they need to know that the reason a company hires someone is to help the company to get profit, not losing more money. Hire them to be a asset, not liability. When I will be searching for job later this year, I'll be looking at RM1800-RM2000 as a starting pay... Even then, I am not sure will I even get hired or not...

Some call it Gen Z, some called it Gen Net...as they are so well versed and savvy with the internet and all...
There isn't a clear distinction between the category of Y and Z. Some say gen Z are born after 2000.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

A few weeks back, we were at the launch of the new Porsche 911. You can read our report here. At the time of launch, the only prices revealed were the duty free ones - RM430,000 for the Carrera and RM490,000 for the Carrera S...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience