Old School Cars Discussion

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
The 4WD system in Evo and STI is also more complicated. Plus both Mitsubishi and Subaru are known for their good experience in 4WD cars compared to Toyota.

But last time, 200hp cars are usually lightweight and the power delivery is brutal and raw, which is why they are fun although under powered on paper compared to cars today. The 200hp cars today are heavier and power doesn't come in as brutal as before. Looking at reviews of the new Civic 1.5 turbo for example, it had like 170hp but many reviews said that the power comes in smoothly. If we compared that with a 4G93T engine, the 4G93T probably feels much faster and engaging than the Civic 1.5 turbo engine.
haha few things to keep in mind....
1)these old school cars were very 'raw' not much in terms of refinement, so regardless of how fost they actually were, they felt ganas. sound proofing was poor, and the cars were harsher back then compared to today. So regardless of actually how fast they were, they certainly felt faster.
2)like you said... they were light! safety and such was not really so much a concern back then, so yeah alot of these performance cars were as simple and light as possible. especially the 'performance' editions of the performance models.:driver:
3)the new civic cannot compare with those old 4g93t's.... not a fair comparison. civic has a 'soft turbo' + cvt combo... not a recipe for brutal acceleration :sleep:

Old skool ride, monster engine inside. Probably eats and spits out Evos....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJbA-wjkS5o
another one of those 'not really what it is cars' haha.

alcyon

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
Lets talk about insurance for collectible 30+ year old car, like AE86. As you all know, most probably can only get 3rd party insurance. Now there is one for sale right here on zth for 86K. Problem is how do i protect my investment ? I am not afraid of accidents, but more of theft. Buy car for 86K, but cannot cover for theft. Once it gets stolen, all your money gone. As you know cars like ae86 , thieves just tow away. Already have few cases like this. Is there a fire and theft only insurance for old cars in malaysia ?

alcyon

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
For myself, I am not crazy about power, i just want to ride in style. As long it has reasonable power its good enough for me. To maintain and keep the car going is already going to be harrowing enough, for a salaryman like myself, that's enough. No way I am gonna go for racing or drifting.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
haha few things to keep in mind....
1)these old school cars were very 'raw' not much in terms of refinement, so regardless of how fost they actually were, they felt ganas. sound proofing was poor, and the cars were harsher back then compared to today. So regardless of actually how fast they were, they certainly felt faster.
2)like you said... they were light! safety and such was not really so much a concern back then, so yeah alot of these performance cars were as simple and light as possible. especially the 'performance' editions of the performance models.:driver:
3)the new civic cannot compare with those old 4g93t's.... not a fair comparison. civic has a 'soft turbo' + cvt combo... not a recipe for brutal acceleration :sleep:

another one of those 'not really what it is cars' haha.
The old approach in cars is, give priority to mechanical parts first before creature comfort. Look at Wira last time. Around 40k plus and they gave you independent rear suspension with all 4 coilover springs. Good potential to upgrade too. Now with 40k plus, you get a Myvi with torsion beam and handles like a boat.

Indeed that raw and engaging feel in older cars makes it more fun to drive if you are not chasing figures like lap times, kmh, 0-100 time acceleration. I mentioned before, my friend who drives 184hp turbocharged F30 320i said my 90hp Wira feels raw and fast. Another friend who had test driven both cars said 320i is a good comfortable car but seems less fun and engaging than my Wira. My car is not even modded, stock manual. I guess this is what old cars in 90s is all about.

I think the new Civic turbo can be a good car to mod if you can somehow source a 6 speed manual gearbox for it. Overseas market can pair it with a 6 speed manual. Since it is a turbocharged engine, I think one can push the power to over 200hp without worry to the gearbox if you are driving a manual variant. Too bad we only got CVT here... :mad: Sad that nowadays, we can't even get a decent comfortable manual car anymore in the new car market.

Lets talk about insurance for collectible 30+ year old car, like AE86. As you all know, most probably can only get 3rd party insurance. Now there is one for sale right here on zth for 86K. Problem is how do i protect my investment ? I am not afraid of accidents, but more of theft. Buy car for 86K, but cannot cover for theft. Once it gets stolen, all your money gone. As you know cars like ae86 , thieves just tow away. Already have few cases like this. Is there a fire and theft only insurance for old cars in malaysia ?
RM86k for an aging AE86 is too much. You could have gotten something else much better than that for less money and still have money to spare for repairs and restoration. Unless you really really like the AE86...

alcyon

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
RM86k for an aging AE86 is too much. You could have gotten something else much better than that for less money and still have money to spare for repairs and restoration. Unless you really really like the AE86...
Bro, it is a what if question. Does not mean i would buy the AE86. At that money i would rather buy the recently imported 89 soarer from Sakan Auto. Bigger and more comfortable.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
For practical-mind ppl.....they see the AE86 is price-crazy car (for its age) and compared with other newer cars.

For enthusiast, fan boys, rich dudes, bragger......they see the AE86 is prized possession.

For comic lovers.........they see AE86 as believable hero car......

To answer bro Alcyon question, try ask the car insurance companies......and what they see of the AE86.
Do these insurance companies see AE86 as just-another dated japanese car in Malaysia?

or

Do these companies see and understand AE86 as a cult car, with due recognition given?

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
The old approach in cars is, give priority to mechanical parts first before creature comfort. Look at Wira last time. Around 40k plus and they gave you independent rear suspension with all 4 coilover springs. Good potential to upgrade too. Now with 40k plus, you get a Myvi with torsion beam and handles like a boat.

Indeed that raw and engaging feel in older cars makes it more fun to drive if you are not chasing figures like lap times, kmh, 0-100 time acceleration. I mentioned before, my friend who drives 184hp turbocharged F30 320i said my 90hp Wira feels raw and fast. Another friend who had test driven both cars said 320i is a good comfortable car but seems less fun and engaging than my Wira. My car is not even modded, stock manual. I guess this is what old cars in 90s is all about.

I think the new Civic turbo can be a good car to mod if you can somehow source a 6 speed manual gearbox for it. Overseas market can pair it with a 6 speed manual. Since it is a turbocharged engine, I think one can push the power to over 200hp without worry to the gearbox if you are driving a manual variant. Too bad we only got CVT here... :mad: Sad that nowadays, we can't even get a decent comfortable manual car anymore in the new car market.
40k back then isnt the same as 40k now :bawling:

90's cars are less.... refined. ppl who like to feel the road through the cars would probably like these old cars. modern cars designed to be automatic, comfortable and quiet. Its isolated but i guess the pro is that you won't get as fatigued so quickly.

and about that civic..... i actually expected alot more from that punty 1.5l engine. i guess theres only so much a small turbo can do.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Bro, it is a what if question. Does not mean i would buy the AE86. At that money i would rather buy the recently imported 89 soarer from Sakan Auto. Bigger and more comfortable.
I see. I got your meaning wrong earlier, sorry about that. Indeed a Soarer is a much better engineered car than AE86.

For practical-mind ppl.....they see the AE86 is price-crazy car (for its age) and compared with other newer cars.

For enthusiast, fan boys, rich dudes, bragger......they see the AE86 is prized possession.

For comic lovers.........they see AE86 as believable hero car......

To answer bro Alcyon question, try ask the car insurance companies......and what they see of the AE86.
Do these insurance companies see AE86 as just-another dated japanese car in Malaysia?

or

Do these companies see and understand AE86 as a cult car, with due recognition given?
Not saying AE86 is a bad car but if one buys it for performance alone, then it is not worth the price as there are other better alternatives even in power, balance and weight. But if one buys it for its iconic value, then I guess there is not much comment about that. It is a collectible item in that case.

40k back then isnt the same as 40k now :bawling:

90's cars are less.... refined. ppl who like to feel the road through the cars would probably like these old cars. modern cars designed to be automatic, comfortable and quiet. Its isolated but i guess the pro is that you won't get as fatigued so quickly.

and about that civic..... i actually expected alot more from that punty 1.5l engine. i guess theres only so much a small turbo can do.
Inflation. :biggrin: Can't be avoided...

There are refined cars back in 90s but those are sort of at the higher end level. Meanwhile the budget cars are probably more performance focused than refinement. Today, things have changed. Refinement can be found in budget cars while performance can only be found on those higher priced cars.

You mean expecting more power from that 1.5 litre? Well, at least it is making more than 100hp per litre. Unlike what Proton did with their CFE engine. 1.6 litre but 130hp. Why are they even holding back when they are using turbo... Perhaps the CVT couldn't withstand the extra power?

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Back back then even more different, Civic cost like RM12k only......lol:rofl:
What year?

Back in 1990s when I was still very young, I have taken a liking to the design of Civic EG. I did ask my parents several times why din't they bought that car instead of driving the 1st gen Saga Aeroback (Saga Knight type). They told me, that car is expensive.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
What year?

Back in 1990s when I was still very young, I have taken a liking to the design of Civic EG. I did ask my parents several times why din't they bought that car instead of driving the 1st gen Saga Aeroback (Saga Knight type). They told me, that car is expensive.
back then..its closest rival is first model proton satria (mirage cyborg exact copy) retail in rm60k for 1.6Gli in year 1995

as comparison...average landed house price is RM70-150k

and in 1999 proton waja is rm60k

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
back then..its closest rival is first model proton satria (mirage cyborg exact copy) retail in rm60k for 1.6Gli in year 1995

as comparison...average landed house price is RM70-150k

and in 1999 proton waja is rm60k
Seems expensive for a Satria back then. Satria Neo is not even selling at that price few years ago.

I think my 1999 Wira 1.5 cost like RM45k back then. I asked my mother few days ago about it. I wonder how much did the C99 Wira 1.8 cost back then.

Landed house price is at RM70k to RM150k in KL? Unbelievable how much the price had soared up over the years...

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
What year?

1st Gen Civic 1979, that is why I say back back then.....hhahhahahah:rofl:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
1st Gen Civic 1979, that is why I say back back then.....hhahhahahah:rofl:
No wonder RM12k. I think you can buy a bowl of noodles for under RM1 too back then. Those are the Datsun days. I heard Datsun are cheap too back then. :biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

What is the max Temperature that this pad can withstand ?

How much is the market price now?

The ride is Suzuki Swift 1.5 the pad is for front brake ~

Thanks =)
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience