Proton Ertiga unveiled - 1.4-litre, EEV-certified, from RM59k!

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Exactly!
If the engine is high compression, like 10:1 or above then you may feel just a slight benefit of ron97 but if not then it won't. It got nothing to do with being a new car or old car. I'm using Toyota Mark X with 12:1 compression, granted it's a GDI engine, but even with such high compression the difference between 95 & 97 is not really significant. No knocking when I use 95, fuel consumption also about the same, which means my engine has mapping for as low as ron95, so I just use 95 even though ideally in Japan use 98, not even 97.

As for turbo cars like your 4G93T, it should give more significant power increase if you turn up the boost higher! The higher ron allows you to achieve higher boost, that's the benefit. If not increasing the boost then will not feel anything la.
No knocking in GDi engine because fuel injected direct just before ignition, whereas MPi fuel gets suck in and compressed before ignition

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
No knocking in GDi engine because fuel injected direct just before ignition, whereas MPi fuel gets suck in and compressed before ignition
If want to do maintenance on direct injection engine, sure trouble some I guess?

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Yup, GDi is more resistant to knocking hence can have higher compression.

If want to do maintenance on direct injection engine, sure trouble some I guess?
Only need to do carbon cleaning more often, say every 20-30k km, otherwise the same as normal.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

Only need to do carbon cleaning more often, say every 20-30k km, otherwise the same as normal.
Yup, carbon cleaning of inlet manifold and valve. My friend doing that, especially for PUG.....:driver:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh

Cleaning the tip of the injectors?

Yup, carbon cleaning of inlet manifold and valve. My friend doing that, especially for PUG.....:driver:
Self DIY or your friend is a mechanic?

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Cleaning the tip of the injectors?

No, cleaning the intake manifold and valves coz GDi does not spray fuel to the inlet hence the valves do not get cleaned by the fuel.

For my car I don't DIY that coz quite a number of things to open even though actually still can DIY if serious.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
No, cleaning the intake manifold and valves coz GDi does not spray fuel to the inlet hence the valves do not get cleaned by the fuel.

For my car I don't DIY that coz quite a number of things to open even though actually still can DIY if serious.
I get it. Because fuel helps to clean away dirty stuff too. Since direct injection only spray fuel right before ignition inside the combustion chamber, the top part of the engine is not cleaned.

Last time you DIY your Mitsubishi cars? :biggrin:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I get it. Because fuel helps to clean away dirty stuff too. Since direct injection only spray fuel right before ignition inside the combustion chamber, the top part of the engine is not cleaned.

Last time you DIY your Mitsubishi cars? :biggrin:
Yeah for some simpler things only, like TB & injector cleaning, carbon cleaning, setting timing and idle, coolant flushing, replacing some parts like motor fans, cam cover gasket, thermostat, spark plugs, stepper motor, rotating tires, simple stuff like those only.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Yeah for some simpler things only, like TB & injector cleaning, carbon cleaning, setting timing and idle, coolant flushing, replacing some parts like motor fans, cam cover gasket, thermostat, spark plugs, stepper motor, rotating tires, simple stuff like those only.
Injector cleaning, setting timing and idle don't really sound too simple if you are not a pro. But back then you are working with the simpler 4G67, 4G63 and 4G93. Now your 4GR-FSE V6 seems much more complicated than that.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Injector cleaning, setting timing and idle don't really sound too simple if you are not a pro. But back then you are working with the simpler 4G67, 4G63 and 4G93. Now your 4GR-FSE V6 seems much more complicated than that.
Ya of course, this V6 now is a lot more complicated leh! Just looking at the engine, I'm lazy already to fiddle around with it! Anyway things like timing, idle, are all automatic based on the ECU mapping already so not much to play around anymore. That's why I missed my old 4 cyl Mitsus...

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Ya of course, this V6 now is a lot more complicated leh! Just looking at the engine, I'm lazy already to fiddle around with it! Anyway things like timing, idle, are all automatic based on the ECU mapping already so not much to play around anymore. That's why I missed my old 4 cyl Mitsus...
It is also a direct injection unit isn't it? Well, you still got a Livina to play with.

Old engines are always simple and straightforward in their approach. That is probably why any one can be a mechanic under apprenticeship of another mechanic during the old days. Today, you need to go automotive colleges and get a paper to be a well trained mechanic!

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
It is also a direct injection unit isn't it? Well, you still got a Livina to play with.

Old engines are always simple and straightforward in their approach. That is probably why any one can be a mechanic under apprenticeship of another mechanic during the old days. Today, you need to go automotive colleges and get a paper to be a well trained mechanic!
Livina, not interested to fiddle around with it, just a plain boring car! :rofl: I just rotate the tires once to show my kids how to jack up a car and unbolt and bolt rims to the car. Oh and I also replace the driver's side mirror mounting, coz some idiot biker whacked it till broken, that's all.
I was told that cannot simply take out the throttle body to do carbon clean also coz it will ruin it or something. New car nowadays too complicated, so I'm lazy to touch that car also.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
My friend bought the cleaning stuffs, solution and kit, but still need mechanic to open up, he cleans then mechanic fit back. Seems is special stuff and he did apps me some pictures last time, after 40k km the gunk stuck there is horrible.....lol

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Livina, not interested to fiddle around with it, just a plain boring car! :rofl: I just rotate the tires once to show my kids how to jack up a car and unbolt and bolt rims to the car. Oh and I also replace the driver's side mirror mounting, coz some idiot biker whacked it till broken, that's all.
I was told that cannot simply take out the throttle body to do carbon clean also coz it will ruin it or something. New car nowadays too complicated, so I'm lazy to touch that car also.
Livina's intake manifold runners look stupid from what I see. Same goes for Almera. Intake air is supposed to be cool but these runners are placed right over the top of the engine itself. Won't that like somehow warm up the intake air? And recently I learned from my mechanic that Livina needs to use special platinum spark plugs which can cost like RM200 a set. He told me normal plugs can't be used. I googled for Livina spark plugs and indeed the results are those expensive plugs. :banghead:

My friend bought the cleaning stuffs, solution and kit, but still need mechanic to open up, he cleans then mechanic fit back. Seems is special stuff and he did apps me some pictures last time, after 40k km the gunk stuck there is horrible.....lol
Sounds terrible if you ask me. Every 40k km or less need to open so many things to clean up. Now, this reminds me of rotary engines where they need a rebuild to change apex seal after a certain mileage. Around 40k km too from what I heard.

How did we stray out of topic so far until here. From Ertiga to Indonesian cars to RON to knocking to GDi and now to DIY. :biggrin:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Livina's intake manifold runners look stupid from what I see. Same goes for Almera. Intake air is supposed to be cool but these runners are placed right over the top of the engine itself. Won't that like somehow warm up the intake air? And recently I learned from my mechanic that Livina needs to use special platinum spark plugs which can cost like RM200 a set. He told me normal plugs can't be used. I googled for Livina spark plugs and indeed the results are those expensive plugs. :banghead:

Sounds terrible if you ask me. Every 40k km or less need to open so many things to clean up. Now, this reminds me of rotary engines where they need a rebuild to change apex seal after a certain mileage. Around 40k km too from what I heard.

How did we stray out of topic so far until here. From Ertiga to Indonesian cars to RON to knocking to GDi and now to DIY. :biggrin:
But the intake plenum is plastic so should not easily transfers heat.
Yah, the plugs I think cannot use normal cheap plugs but I haven't change mine yet, still only 50k km mileage.

Yeah typical of ZTH what! :biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

While the Formula One car has undergone many a change to keep up with technology, ever-changing regulations and safety requirements, one tiny little detail has so far escaped the tides of time, the open cockpit.

However, with safety being a cardinal area of focus right now, not to mention a number of high profile incidents such as the death of Aryton Senna and Felipe Massa’s black out from being hit by a...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience