Review: 2015 Megane RS275 Trophy-R + On-Board Video

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
You've read my entry on the FK2R. Now, allow me to publish my take on the Megane RenaultSport 275 Trophy-R, the meanest, fastest, lightest most exclusive Megane ever produced.

again, I wish to encourage an active on-going discussion here, so please post any comments or questions, good or bad. I shall try to answer them all

enjoy the read!

Original article here:
http://www.zerotohundred.com/2015/megane-rs275-trophy-r-sepang-circuit-first-drive-on-board-video/

This is the most extreme Megane RS money can buy. It is also the most developed 3rd generation Megane RS within the RenaultSport line up. Just weeks ago, I was very privileged to be some of the first to take this mega hatch out on Sepang for a handful of laps.

Video:

On Board Video - Sepang Circuit

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WIl8Pzk3k5E" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="700"></iframe>

Guest host for Autobuzz.my

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/n_U7h0UwtNM" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="700"></iframe>

This Trophy R

This particular unit is said to be 1 of 10 that was brought into Malaysia by TC Euro Cars / Renault Malaysia and is owned by a guy who only wants to be known as SR, and is undoubtedly the most devoted hot hatch fanatic that I know of. He has both generations of the MINI GP, 2 Megane RSs, a MK5 Golf GTI and god knows what else in his collection.

• Zerotohundred: 5.8 seconds (claimed)
  • Nurburgring Lap Time: 7’54’’36
  • Top Speed: 255km/h
  • Engine: Turbocharged 2L in-line 4 cylinder
  • Power: 275bhp
  • Torque 360m
  • Weight: 1,297kg
The following will be my first circuit impressions of the RenaultSport Megane 275 Trophy R.

The Cockpit

Entering the RS275 Trophy R is unlike any previous Megane RSs. It’s pretty special and include an injection of motorsport equivalent goodies. Firstly, like a racing cup car, you are greeted with a set bucket seats complete with bright red multi-point seat harness. The seat is based on a polycarbonate shell wrapped in alcantara and leather with red stitching.

As I peek inside, there’s an obvious absence of rear seats, replaced with air, a horizontal bar which I suspect doesn’t add structural rigidity but when coupled with a nylon net acts as a partition for transporting 4 track wheels in which was used to be the boot area. Underneath the fabric floor base, there is no insulation material which is worth 18kg in weight savings. Other than that, it’s all standard issue facelift Megane RS items. Wait, there’s also a rather motorsport relevant alcantara trimmed steering wheel.

After strapping myself in, I started the engine for the first time. Okay this thing is unlike any other before it. The RS275 Trophy R’s rather audible Akrapovic exhaust feature a raspy note, true to that of a race system. The entire car throbs to the tune of the exhaust and this vibe is directly transmitted through the Trophy R’s seat via its bespoke aluminium brackets.
I honestly wasn’t expecting the Trophy R to be this raw.

Monstrous

Gunning out the pit exit, the RS275 Trophy R inherits familiar characteristics from its previous iterations. Except everything is substantially amplified. Signature Megane RS throaty exhaust note is way louder in here and engine response is second to none. Throttle is now significantly lighter and the revs races through its range so much more eagerly. interestingly, gearshift quality is markedly improve here as well. RenaultSport’s got the ambiance in the Trophy R just right I must say.
This increase in acceleration is largely contributed by the almost 100kg in weight savings from removal or replacement of Key items such as:
  1. Insulation material removal -18kg
  2. Front bucket seats replacement -22kg
  3. Rear seats removal -20kg
  4. Entertainment + air con system -10kg
  5. Rear wiper delete -1kg
  6. Speedline 19″ Turini wheels -5kg
  7. Allevard composite front springs -4kg
Also, on top of the above mentioned hardware changes contributing to the Trophy R’s incredible performance, the Megane RS’s iconic 2.0 Turbo power plant also received software upgrades through changes in engine mapping to up power and torque. All these without affecting mpg as claimed by RenaultSport. Probably due to the extreme diet compromise.

Truly Track Biased

The Trophy R comes with a special kind of suspension. No regular RenaultSport cup chassis items here. A first for production cars, the front suspension is fitted with Allevard composite springs, made from fiberglass reinforced plastics, that are both extremely light and corrosion proof.

Check out the fiberglass reinforced plastic spring, produced by Allevard for the Trophy R – Photo by RenaultSport

These special composite springs are matched with motorsport grade Öhlins Road & Track mechanically adjustable dampers on all four corners, which feature 20 clicks to zero in on a desired setup. However, as with all race inspired adjustable suspension, it is always a pain in the ass to get them just right. Thankfully, there’s a recommended base guide by RenaultSport test driver Laurent Hurgon who’ve skillfully drove the Trophy R into under 7:55 territory at the Nur. Crowning the Trophy R fastest FF hatch in the world.

All these coupled with the already rigid Megane RS body simply equates to a true track biased setup. Felt throughout my circuit drive, the Trophy R is extremely communicative where feedback from all 4 corners are accurately transmitted throughout the driving seat and steering. There’s virtually zero body roll and the firm suspension takes full advantage of superb Michelin Cup 2 tyres. In short, the Trophy R drives like a track car without a cage.

On a few occasions out of driving error be it deliberate or unplanned, I was well impressed by the precise turn in and most of all, the uncanny ability of the Trophy R at the exit of corners. Even if you get the exit almost right, with the steering still at a certain degree of turn, simply apply throttle and you are assured of a fast exit as the magic LSD pulls the car out of the turn and genius perfohub variable kuckle eliminate all torque steer. Such a stunt is simply impossible even with most track cars. RenaultSport cars are famous for this and the their flagship Trophy R demonstrates it with amazing talent.

Read Next: 2016 Nissan Skyline R32 Gathering x Trackday @ MIMC!

The brakes, wow. All Megane RS are world renowned for its sublime braking ability. By now anyone would have known Brembo powers this area. But in truth it is not all in the calipers and discs. In fact everything from the Megane’s rigid body, brilliant chassis and tyres makes up for its godlike braking.
The Trophy R feature bigger front discs than regular RS and this difference is felt greatly through its lighter body, Ohlins coilovers and Michelin Cup 2 rubbers.

I would say the Trophy R beats its RS siblings by at least 20% in this area. It is unreal just how late the Trophy R can brake. There is almost always a sense of “hey-there’s-more-to-go” every time I explore the braking points in this car. The other best part? These brakes hardly fade or if at all.

Phenomenal Michelins

Currently the most talked about driving rubber, Michelin’s latest Pilot Sport Cup 2 is found on almost every notable performance car launched this year, such as the latest GT3 RS and the F458 Speciale. Also found on the RS275 Trophy R, these new Cup 2 tyres mean business. Even more grippy in the dry compared to its predecessor, the Cup 2 features two compounds in one tyre that differs from its inner and outer shoulders, promising efficient daily driving qualities through the firmer inner tread and utmost performance on the limit be it on road or track, via the softer compound on the outside tread. Pretty mad right? Michelin calls this the Bi-Compound technology.

I have to say the sensation felt from these new Cup 2s are somewhat mixed. When cold, grip availability is a guessing game as discovered during my first sighting lap. These are unlike any tyre I’ve been accustomed to. Even semi slicks provide sufficient grip 6/7 corners onwards. I had a little scare when the front end didn’t respond well at one point during my usual warm up sequence. Was it due to the Trophy R’s preliminary damping setup? Maybe.

Look, no rear wiper, Owner a TIMETOATTACK loyalist.

Peak bite comes when they are thoroughly warmed up. In fact, only after being vigorously utilized for a complete lap or 2 before they actually stick. Michelin says the Cup 2 provide more laps per use and is their most trackable street tyre. That is perhaps why it possess such a character.

Read Next: RSCollectif's massive Megane RS and Clio RS romp to Genting Highlands - RenaultSport Madness

Nevertheless, when the Cup 2 start to bite, they truly are some of the best road / track tyre money can buy. It provides consistent grip throughout the session without apparent drop in performance. Even when exploring the limits, these Cup 2s are brilliantly intuitive and communicative, so you’ll always know how much you can push.

Verdict

Status wise, this Megane RenaultSport 275 Trophy R has got to be the undisputed king of of hot hatches. There just isn’t any other examples currently available that is as extreme as this. It even comes with a miniscule Lithium-lon car battery for further weight savings.

The Trophy-R is also the most impractical for most purposes. It’s loud. It drones while cruising, thumps from the suspension is heard when commuting on uneven roads and clangs from tyres sending stones ricocheting off the uninsulated body is pretty much perpetual.

There isn’t even floor mats in the Trophy R

• Is it that special? Yes it really is.
  • Should I buy one? Yes if you already have everything.
  • Is it worth it? Yes if money is of little importance.
Even so, the Trophy R will likely provide more satisfaction per hour than say, a GTR be it on road or track. It is tons more engaging, uncompromising and undiluted than most performance cars money can buy. I can’t wait for my 2nd opportunity if there’s one, to have a go in this mega meg on real world roads.

Words and Photos by: Tom Goh

RenaultSport Malaysia

RenaultSport Cars are expertly imported and distributed by TC Euro Cars Malaysia. They are ever ready to entertain your every RS needs. Drop them a line if you’re interested in any RenaultSport or Renault models. You might want to try their new Clio 1.2 GT or the Captur, being their latest offering

http://www.renault.com.my/

RenaultSport Collectif

If you’re a RenaultSport Owner in Malaysia, be sure to enlist yourself within the RS Collectif group. Where Malaysian RenaultSport owners lurk, share and organize exclusive outings and drives. There’s also an invitees-only unofficial mobile Telegram social group for even more exclusives. So apply within!. I am in, so you should too.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/meganersclub/?fref=ts

Original article here:
http://www.zerotohundred.com/2015/megane-rs275-trophy-r-sepang-circuit-first-drive-on-board-video/

Attachments

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
How is it a rear wiper delete if they leave that ugly thing sticking out like that? That's a bit of a shame really. Probably would've looked nicer with the whole thing out and replaced with a rubber grommet.

Not entirely crazy about the red rims either.

But daaaaaaaaaaamn that's one helluva nice cockpit. Whats with the standard across torso seat belt and a full harness?

Is it as frisky as the original Megane? Personally this car looks like more of a drivers car than the FK2R you reviewed earlier.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Phew, Ohlins suspension with Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires!

Btw, this car does not have any audio system anymore is it? So that speaker opening in the door panel is empty only? Still has power window and mirror, does it?

I suppose this is like a hot hatch FF version of a Lotus Elise/Exige, is it? :biggrin:

How is it a rear wiper delete if they leave that ugly thing sticking out like that? That's a bit of a shame really. Probably would've looked nicer with the whole thing out and replaced with a rubber grommet.

But daaaaaaaaaaamn that's one helluva nice cockpit. Whats with the standard across torso seat belt and a full harness?

Is it as frisky as the original Megane? Personally this car looks like more of a drivers car than the FK2R you reviewed earlier.
Yah, that wiper delete is like an after thought.

Red rims follow Porsche style. :biggrin: If black then follow AMG A45 style.
I'd again say 18' would look more matching to the body size.

Yeah agree, this car looks more subtle but yet more matching for its purpose while the FK2R is more like ah beng in-your-face get-the hell-out-of-my-way, boy racer styling but yet less purposeful than this.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur

Yeah, they could have flushed the wiper point better. Well it's more than a partial delete since the motor is no longer in place. that's probably a few hundred grams saved.

I doubt owners would prefer to strap themselves in the multi point harness which Is why the existing seat belt is there just saw one can still go for quick shopping. I know the owner uses the regular belt when he drives on the road, which is pretty regular.

this definitely is a driver's car. albeit a very serious one. which is why it's less an all-rounder than the FK2R you mentioned. The real world Megane RS are frisky. This Trophy R is more ferocious than frisky. It'll require some setup tinkering on the Ohlin's to perform on the road or touge after a trackday or it'll probably skip or snap upon enthusiastic corner carving scenarios.

---------- Post added at 04:03 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:00 PM ----------

Phew, Ohlins suspension with Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires!

Btw, this car does not have any audio system anymore is it? So that speaker opening in the door panel is empty only? Still has power window and mirror, does it?

I suppose this is like a hot hatch FF version of a Lotus Elise/Exige, is it? :biggrin:

Yah, that wiper delete is like an after thought.

Red rims follow Porsche style. :biggrin: If black then follow AMG A45 style.
I'd again say 18' would look more matching to the body size.

Yeah agree, this car looks more subtle but yet more matching for its purpose while the FK2R is more like ah beng in-your-face get-the hell-out-of-my-way, boy racer styling but yet less purposeful than this.
It could have came without the audio an a/c stuff. However the owner and likely all units brought in were spec with. including the RS Monitor feature that includes a touch screen nav

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
White and Red reminds me of CVkit Myvi color combi......hhahahhahaha

Weight reduction and that include insulation materials, wah! real driver's car some more PSC2.....fuh!

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
I'm always wondering about this one thing in modern FWD hot hatches... They are good in track and performs really well. But how do they all fare against popular FWD hatches in the 90s like EG6 or EK9 Civic? Since the old Civic's performance at track is always said to be among the best, I wonder if these modern FWD hatches are better or worse or on par with the old Civic hatches? (Well, assuming the Civics are mildly modified instead of fully stock)

Pardon me if my question is offensive to anyone here.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
I'm always wondering about this one thing in modern FWD hot hatches... They are good in track and performs really well. But how do they all fare against popular FWD hatches in the 90s like EG6 or EK9 Civic? Since the old Civic's performance at track is always said to be among the best, I wonder if these modern FWD hatches are better or worse or on par with the old Civic hatches? (Well, assuming the Civics are mildly modified instead of fully stock)

Pardon me if my question is offensive to anyone here.
I've thought about this pretty often especially when bench marking cars up Genting Highlands.

Power aside,
I think for one, current / new performance cars are engineered so well with learnings from the past, and cutting edge new materials to work with will undoubtedly provide much more mechanical grip than its predecessors.

The current Megane RS no matter RS250 / RS265 / RS 275 is extremely well endowed. I just can't think of any other candidates that can match the Renault's godlike handling and grip. It's ability to cancel off all understeer / torque steer while powering out early through a corner exit is just unreal. Say a similarly capable Civic, with matching power from a K24 were to contend would like require tons more elbow grease to surpass or even keep up.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
I've thought about this pretty often especially when bench marking cars up Genting Highlands.

Power aside,
I think for one, current / new performance cars are engineered so well with learnings from the past, and cutting edge new materials to work with will undoubtedly provide much more mechanical grip than its predecessors.

The current Megane RS no matter RS250 / RS265 / RS 275 is extremely well endowed. I just can't think of any other candidates that can match the Renault's godlike handling and grip. It's ability to cancel off all understeer / torque steer while powering out early through a corner exit is just unreal. Say a similarly capable Civic, with matching power from a K24 were to contend would like require tons more elbow grease to surpass or even keep up.
I thought the old Civics might handle better due to their lighter weight and double wishbone suspension setup. But still, in TTA results, I tend to see many Civics including FD2R scoring a better time result than Megane RS. That is probably due to driver instead of the car itself?

One thing that I need to praise the Megane RS is that despite using a rear torsion beam setup which is always criticized by many for being inferior to independent suspension setup, it still allows the Megane RS to handle superbly.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
I thought the old Civics might handle better due to their lighter weight and double wishbone suspension setup. But still, in TTA results, I tend to see many Civics including FD2R scoring a better time result than Megane RS. That is probably due to driver instead of the car itself?

One thing that I need to praise the Megane RS is that despite using a rear torsion beam setup which is always criticized by many for being inferior to independent suspension setup, it still allows the Megane RS to handle superbly.
I think all bets are off when it comes to time attack events where there is next to no limits in their car build. But granted, in this case the Civic likely holds more potential in this area with regards to its formidable chassis + engine to begin with and vast tuning knowledge and products that are more available.

Also, there is very little aftermarket / motorsport support for the Renaults be it here or the rest of the world.

yes, I have to agree on the torsion beam part. I was baffled when I found out after spending a week with it. Truly amazing how they developed such a chassis even with the use of primitive torsion beam

I suppose the Renault is more a track day car / fast road car as opposed to being a track car candidate. But out of the box, it just is a turn key solution to being king of the road.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
I think all bets are off when it comes to time attack events where there is next to no limits in their car build. But granted, in this case the Civic likely holds more potential in this area with regards to its formidable chassis + engine to begin with and vast tuning knowledge and products that are more available.

Also, there is very little aftermarket / motorsport support for the Renaults be it here or the rest of the world.

yes, I have to agree on the torsion beam part. I was baffled when I found out after spending a week with it. Truly amazing how they developed such a chassis even with the use of primitive torsion beam

I suppose the Renault is more a track day car / fast road car as opposed to being a track car candidate. But out of the box, it just is a turn key solution to being king of the road.
So I guess for tuning/mod potential, Civic is the better one. But for the better overall package right out of factory, it should be the Megane RS.

Apparently torsion beam is getting more popularity nowadays. Even FK2R uses torsion beam just like the previous FN2R. I wonder if in the future, are we going to see hot hatch manufacturers continuing their development in the direction of torsion beam or multi link/ double wishbone.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Probably bores down to cheaper manufacturing, so can cost down.....
But these hot hatches are not exactly cheap to begin with... Perhaps they diverted the cost to elsewhere such as interior creature comforts... I wish there are still more cars being developed like WRX STI and Lancer Evolution kind of approach where most of the cost went to the functional mechanical bits instead of aesthetics.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
But these hot hatches are not exactly cheap to begin with... Perhaps they diverted the cost to elsewhere such as interior creature comforts... I wish there are still more cars being developed like WRX STI and Lancer Evolution kind of approach where most of the cost went to the functional mechanical bits instead of aesthetics.
Wah like you're reading my mind bro! :biggrin:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Wah like you're reading my mind bro! :biggrin:
Hahaha, good to know that there are still those who feel like this. Being 23 years old this year, I have not yet experienced any cars like these myself which is probably why I hope that manufacturers will continue making such cars so that I can be able to try some of them in the future instead of just trying out the older models.

Many of those in their 40s and 50s will probably say that they had enough taste of such cars in their youth which might be the reason why they are not going for such cars anymore. As for the youths around my age, most of them place emphasis on interior creature comforts and external design more than performance. I have also heard of some who knows a bit about cars saying old manual transmission are obsolete as now people just shift with their fingers via paddle shifters. To me, it is not about shifting manually or not (yes, being able to shift manually still matters) but is more about the joy and experience in releasing the throttle pedal, pressing the clutch pedal, shifting the gear knob into the next gate itself and engage in full throttle again after that.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Hahaha, good to know that there are still those who feel like this. Being 23 years old this year, I have not yet experienced any cars like these myself which is probably why I hope that manufacturers will continue making such cars so that I can be able to try some of them in the future instead of just trying out the older models.

Many of those in their 40s and 50s will probably say that they had enough taste of such cars in their youth which might be the reason why they are not going for such cars anymore. As for the youths around my age, most of them place emphasis on interior creature comforts and external design more than performance. I have also heard of some who knows a bit about cars saying old manual transmission are obsolete as now people just shift with their fingers via paddle shifters. To me, it is not about shifting manually or not (yes, being able to shift manually still matters) but is more about the joy and experience in releasing the throttle pedal, pressing the clutch pedal, shifting the gear knob into the next gate itself and engage in full throttle again after that.
haha, you are right on the 40s and 50s. I met an old friend of my mechanic and while having lunch we talk of old times. He was quite into some racing in his younger days and modded his car to be very low and now driving a SUV. This is his very words. Those days we mod our cars as low as possible, now that age have caught up our cars now we love them as high as possible.....lol:biggrin:

Driving manual is skill, paddle shift are considered aided :driver:.....hhahhahhaha:biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

What type of fabric used on Recaro SR3/SRD ?

is it suede.. or tricot.. or jacquard?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience