Vios handling problem after installing GAB sport spring

C7950

Feb 15, 2011
Penang
Hi all,

I am using the GAB spring with stock absorber. The steering feels stiff at the very beginning of installation but after sometime the steering stiffness became not consistent. Sometime it even got the "buang" feeling. Are the absorbers already worn out?

And when I jack up my car the spring is free to move with my bare hands, is this normal for lowering spring?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Hi all,

I am using the GAB spring with stock absorber. The steering feels stiff at the very beginning of installation but after sometime the steering stiffness became not consistent. Sometime it even got the "buang" feeling. Are the absorbers already worn out?

And when I jack up my car the spring is free to move with my bare hands, is this normal for lowering spring?
Your springs and absorbers not matching. Probably absorbers not strong enough to damp the stronger lowered springs.
You mentioned springs can move by bare hand, can they come off the spring seats? If can, then on full rebound it may come off.....:rolleyes:

C7950

Feb 15, 2011
Penang
Your springs and absorbers not matching. Probably absorbers not strong enough to damp the stronger lowered springs.
You mentioned springs can move by bare hand, can they come off the spring seats? If can, then on full rebound it may come off.....:rolleyes:
They do not come off the spring seat but they can be rotated.

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:38 PM ----------

Does Vios use separate spring seats or combined absorber + spring setup?
Stock absorber comes with spring seat

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Oh I just noticed something. Sports springs (shorter/lowered) GAB + long stroke stock absorbers. You're gonna have problems with the absorbers. You can't really match it like that and expect a miracle man.

C7950

Feb 15, 2011
Penang
In that case still safe to use, but I suspect your absorber not stronger enough to damp the springs
Ok. Thanks for help. I think I will change absorber soon.

---------- Post added at 02:44 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:38 AM ----------

Oh I just noticed something. Sports springs (shorter/lowered) GAB + long stroke stock absorbers. You're gonna have problems with the absorbers. You can't really match it like that and expect a miracle man.

When i bought that spring the seller didn't mention any thing about this. Then i just thought I can have the stiff handling with low price. Lol. It seem like I am wrong. Btw, thanks for help.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Ok. Thanks for help. I think I will change absorber soon.

---------- Post added at 02:44 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:38 AM ----------

When i bought that spring the seller didn't mention any thing about this. Then i just thought I can have the stiff handling with low price. Lol. It seem like I am wrong. Btw, thanks for help.
In a way like bro. Izso mentioned the springs and dampers must work hand in hand.....:driver:

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Hi all,

just like others said,the absorber does not match with the spring.
feedback from some friends on gab spring is that they offered the lowest stance.

the symptom of the spring moving at the highest height of the absorber is dangerous.very dangerous indeed.
why?
its because during hard rebound on nad road surface,the spring can becone unseated and you can loose steering control when this happen.
the fact thay you mention the steering is inconsistent is a prove that the spring is not properly secured on the absorber.
its the same danger as installing a ridiculusly lowered spring which is cut.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Agree with Gunnerzz.

Any car spring should not be unseated (or in loose manner), when the car is lifted up on a jack. The springs are designed the be compressed when installed, and in operation. That explains why we need to spring-compressor tool when we open up the strut.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Agree with Gunnerzz.

Any car spring should not be unseated (or in loose manner), when the car is lifted up on a jack. The springs are designed the be compressed when installed, and in operation. That explains why we need to spring-compressor tool when we open up the strut.
TS already mentioned his springs does not comes off but when jack up fully able to turn the springs

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
It's normal for the Vios and Myvi la. Even mine can do that if enough weight is used to push down the rear arm and all
But TS mentioned is the front MacPherson strut springs can rotate. Myvi rear spring is separated from the absorbers mah....:biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys , recently my Wira car got some engine starting problem , whenever i started the engine , the engine will become weak , and failed to operate , this makes me everytime when starting the car , hv to accel 1st to warm up the engine it just will become stable , can somebody tell me what kind of things is spoil oledi in my car ??

sry for poor english writing !!! :tongue:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience