Mazda 2 : what is the suitable engine oil

jedi

Known Member
Dec 22, 2003
Hello,

As we know, when we bring our Mazda to Bermaz and they will use Shell lubricants, either Ultra or HX7 but these 2 are 5W40 and 10W40

I remember I read somewhere that Mazda 2 should use 5W30 and not 5W40, unfortunately this information was not available in Malaysia Mazda 2 owner manual.

Does anyone know anything about this ?

Thank you.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Hello,

As we know, when we bring our Mazda to Bermaz and they will use Shell lubricants, either Ultra or HX7 but these 2 are 5W40 and 10W40

I remember I read somewhere that Mazda 2 should use 5W30 and not 5W40, unfortunately this information was not available in Malaysia Mazda 2 owner manual.

Does anyone know anything about this ?

Thank you.
The thing is when you send back to SC for service can you use your own oil?
Where did you read Mazda 2 using 5w-30?

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Why go experimenting and listening to other source about which oil to use?

The oil type is already recommended by the Malaysia SC. Even the owner's manual would state the engine oil type.
Unless Mazda SC is secretly scheming all owners and recommended an inferior oil type....

Last edited:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
hmmmm, secret oil from Mazda maybe?

Even my Toyota SEG's owner manual (20+ years) indicates the type of fluids to use for engine oil, brake oil, steering oil, coolant...Of course, the car engine so old oredi, I had to pandai pandai select a thicker engine oil...

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
hmmmm, secret oil from Mazda maybe?

Even my Toyota SEG's owner manual (20+ years) indicates the type of fluids to use for engine oil, brake oil, steering oil, coolant...Of course, the car engine so old oredi, I had to pandai pandai select a thicker engine oil...
After warranty anything goes loh! My wife's SUV sent to SC, can use their oil only. Now after warranty service outside use what I want.....hahahaha

Back to TS Mazda 2, most SC don't allow outside oil in case any warranty claim.....:rolleyes:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
yeah, they want to protect their own business....That is why there are soooo many Cs in the service center these days.
More service they provide, more they can charge their customers....

jedi

Known Member
Dec 22, 2003
Why go experimenting and listening to other source about which oil to use?

The oil type is already recommended by the Malaysia SC. Even the owner's manual would state the engine oil type.
Unless Mazda SC is secretly scheming all owners and recommended an inferior oil type....
the owner manual provided by mazda malaysia does not specifically says which viscosity is suitable.
In fact they gave the whole viscosity chart only.

I am referring to mazda thailand owner manual because i think malaysia and thailand has similar climate, should be ok. I know Mazda USA says we should use 5w20 but i think this is not suitable for malaysia.

---------- Post added at 10:11 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:07 AM ----------

5W30 and 5W40 isn't that far off la. Either one will do.
dude, i think it's totally different.
30 and 40 is the viscosity when the engine heats up. If the engine should use 5w30 but we used 5w40 then the engine oil might be too "thick" to reach every part in the engine, and the engine will be very "heavy" too....

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Modern engine oil is designed to be usable and tolerant under a range of engine temperature.
Unless your car is a supercar, F1, Top-fuel car, etc....that rely heavily on peak performance......yes, specific oil is required.

But for everyday driving, then "close enough" engine oil grade is good enough.
Even mineral engine oil is good for daily driving....

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
the owner manual provided by mazda malaysia does not specifically says which viscosity is suitable.
In fact they gave the whole viscosity chart only.

I am referring to mazda thailand owner manual because i think malaysia and thailand has similar climate, should be ok. I know Mazda USA says we should use 5w20 but i think this is not suitable for malaysia.

---------- Post added at 10:11 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:07 AM ----------

dude, i think it's totally different.
30 and 40 is the viscosity when the engine heats up. If the engine should use 5w30 but we used 5w40 then the engine oil might be too "thick" to reach every part in the engine, and the engine will be very "heavy" too....

Follow chart also wrong. 5w-30 from -30 deg C to 15 deg C only?

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Hmmm.....the temp range (degree) indicated based on the oil viscosity in lab environment ka?

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
if ambient temp, this means the viscosity numbers are good for cold engine start-up.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The next time you’re yacking away on your ultra high-tech, state of the art hands free kit consider this; a person using a hands free device is four times more likely to crash.

It was also found that drivers talking on either hand-held or hands-free mobile phones have an average reaction time that is 30 per cent slower than drunk drivers and an astonishing 50 per cent slower reaction time than sober drivers. This was...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience