My dream old junkyard lancer evo engine rebuilt

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching
The story begin this year's February when i change and trade my old civic eh2 sr4 with my friend's lancer evo CD9A ... For those who know me in ZTH, they know that i am really a mitsubishi evo fans when i first joined this forum:biggrin:, started with an old wira AB with mivec ck turbo engine, then when to hardcore lancer evo 4 engine in the wira chassis and hybrid with evo 3 rear axle and made the car 4wd:stupid:.. however , i moved on to honda after my wira crashed and total lost at a speed above 140km/h :banghead:(still young- 19 years old, dont know how write the word die as Chinese said) .. then i got my 2nd ride, an civic eh2 sr4, still same as a hardcore car maniac, endless car mod:nurse:, that eh2 had tasted all the variant of B series vtec engine in its chassis:driver:, started with b16a, then a b16a big turbo, then chg to b16a small turbo for responsive, then a slighty bigger turbo for better top end, at the end, i most pantang thing happen on it, oil leak on the engine, even it is minor but i pantang, so gila gila go changed to b20b vtec set up, fully built , and also gila gila join drag race street category, all 3 doors honda with slim driver looking at me at 120kg :listen:and a heavier sedan joining the drag race..

at the end, 1st time on drag race and with such weight, still not 1st from the last and get a time 14.1s :itsme:,after drag, gila gila again miss the g force of turbo engine:itsme:, wanna do back b16a turbo since all the turbo stuff with me, but mech suggest dont dismantle the b20 engine so it is fully built dy, so i took out the b20b engine , and bought a b20b crv performance head, yea, a built non vtec head with bc cams,spring and retainers...... it works fine till i wanna first bring it to try with friend's car, engine dies off and water hose flew off, water temp rise, after open engine 2nd day, discovered a cracked sleeve, frustrated, take a b18c gsr engine plank in and run for a few weeks, then gila kick comes a gain, installed a set of NX nitrous system on it and get dramatic power output:nurse:, after 10lb of nitrous used, engine still stay healthy, meanwhile, i gt a good deal with fren to swap+top up with my civic and his junkyard evo , since i am a hardcore evo lovers, i die for it:biggrin:

sorry for long story, almost like writing how i get poisoned with cars and my journey when i first start to drive cars,here is the main event, to make it short, before i swap, i knew that my fren not the 1st owner of it, and it had been hardcorely trashed by those ex owners, the engine had been boosted 1.3 bar quite lots of time in the ex owner hands, even experience engine replace and head replace due to bend valves and piston cracks, but while i get it in my hand, i just feel it running fine, no overheat issue and engine run quite ok despite all those thing it went through...

and then, the gila gila kick comes again when one day in august, when i start the car after long period park and not move condition, after getting hot, i free rev it and till the bov sound, i do notice some blue smoke coming out, and i thought it is turbo problem, and i discover oil leak between the head and the head gasket area, my gila gila kick push me to do a full overhaul of the junkyard evo:driver:, and since it is like an ex wife from other person, i gonna feel it from head till bottom, touch it from head till bottom and know every single curve of it (18SX:biggrin:, only if you know what i mean:biggrin:)... challenge accepted, appointment with friend, set a time to roll my car in garage on september, the plan is to do a normal,cost efficient and major overhaul.. no more tons of modification.. however been poisoned by another friend, then i bought a spare evo head to go machine shop to do machine job so when i overhaul can save time to do works on the head,and the old head seems not in quite good condition:nurse: the new head is equipped with this in the first stage of "poison"

mmexport1407387848914.jpg

a set of HKS springs, not long after that, 2nd stage "poison" coming, since already got spring, alang alang get this together also:biggrin:

20140815_175236.jpg

yes, a set of HKS cam, somehow it is discontinued product and i can get it new, kena "poison" till die liao, but sadly i cant get a set of ori hks pulley which will ease lots of the cam adjusting job:banghead: and i bought a set of acl bearings and low temp thermostat while waiting my car to go in garage.. then the day finally come

20140901_205813.jpg

the night before i sent it in for rebuilt, kinda sad, since i know it took longer time then before :bawling:since this friend do it slow and steady unlike previous mech, can finish b16a transplant in 3 days, this time at least 30 days,ok, the first week i sent it in, luckily my friend free to do work since not much car in his garage for the moment, he able to took off those small small parts like my IC piping, bumpers, radiators, intake manifold, headers, turbo,4wd mid differential and etc which make it easier to get the engine out....

20140910_100854.jpg

a look at the dirty old school tdo5h code 47 before i sent to Speedspin turbo for rebuilt

IMG-20140909-WA0001.jpg

mechanic friends working to get the engine out below from the car

20140910_133246.jpg

20140910_140109.jpg

it is out finally and is left for few days before my mech have time to touch it again

20140910_144654.jpg

days later, mech start to dissect it,and i pray hard this few days that my block, the internal of the "legendary" 4g63 cast iron "bulletproof" block will be looking good(pistons,rods,sleeves and crank)..here is the dirty dark head as expected since i said before the ex ex owner got replace the head before

20140911_114801.jpg

and there goes my friend start his job open head to see the internal

20140911_115320.jpg

after open up, thank god in the first place the sleeves and pistons "looks" good and smooth,and then friends open up all of it, take the pistons and rods out, remove balancing shaft,oil pumps,crank shaft etc... and take the parts for a "bath"..

20140911_115932.jpg

20140916_085630.jpg

Oil squirters :love:

20140916_090504.jpg

20140916_090951.jpg

20140916_092019.jpg

everything look fine and seems fine to use since the block seems smooth , piston all ok.. but God decided to give me challenges:rolleyes:, starting with a joke while we try to get the ring gap for the new rings :banghead: when we push down the 1st ring with my piston, and measure, seems like 2 of the sleeves, 1st and 2nd have higher ring gap then 3rd and 4th and it is beyond the tolerance level (0.500mm if not wrong).. ok, i can tolerate that, at least i save my wallet up by staying stock internal and buy new rings that suits the "bigger" bore.... but the real challenge comes, when my mech try double check the ring gap and taking different piston to push the ring down, this shows up:banghead:

20140916_113225.jpg

20140916_120752.jpg

it happen to the 3rd piston, a cracked piston groove, damn how could it happen? i had been driving and boosting it (low boost 0.7bar:biggrin:) almost 1 year and nothing happen until i open the engine up to discover this shit:banghead: so frust, i only can accept it, maybe the ex ex owner done the damage and god protect me and make it shows up only when i open the engine, or maybe God says i alang alang susah susah open engine, want rebuilt then do a real rebuilt:rolleyes:...ok, then i went from frust to waiting status, waiting my sets of forgies to arrive:biggrin:, however the courier guy didn't show themself today so no pic ture of it yet:thefinger:, hope fully tomorow got:driver:....but in the mean while, my rebuilt turbo from Speedspin turbo already arrive, this is 2nd time and they are still not making me disappointed,porting jobs etc looks real nice and shiny,good workmanship turbo that make me cant wait to boost it, this make me recover from the piston crack incident and pain of wallet burst for buying forgies:nurse:.. i recommend it here to all our forumer,here are the FB link if u want some advice on turbo:listen:, they are nice and friendly guy https://www.facebook.com/speedspinturbo?fref=ts

20140918_102032.jpg

20140918_102620.jpg

20140918_102634.jpg

sorry for that long post that made you confusing and eye pain or what so ever, thank you if you patiently read it all through:wavey: these are my feelings now, really excited to get the rebuilt done but scare we cant done it right and problem will persist later,cant sleep,may the "car god" bless the car so everything will run well and smooth:biggrin::nurse:

Anyway, stay tuned bro and sis, more are coming soon,will update as long as anything new:biggrin::itsme::nurse:.....

Last edited:

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Playing with cars is a money pit thing.....but priceless experience and satisfaction.

Solty8

Known Member
Nov 14, 2003
Poison that not causes injury nor death but broken wallet:nurse:
Actually I really like the Evo3 chassis Especially the one in Thunderbolt, Yellow E3 and also one in Legend of Speed. Sad it's very hard to find a good chassis in this kind of time and well decent price. I found one 4WD Evo 3 actually convert from Evo1 or 2, but price 6xK. Can actually buy E4 or E5 ori edi. :banghead: Well if money is not an issue, surely will collect all evo series from 1 to 10 and even those older Lancer for collection sake.

At least yours is the ori CD9A so definitely worth to do up and keep 4 good.

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching
Actually I really like the Evo3 chassis Especially the one in Thunderbolt, Yellow E3 and also one in Legend of Speed. Sad it's very hard to find a good chassis in this kind of time and well decent price. I found one 4WD Evo 3 actually convert from Evo1 or 2, but price 6xK. Can actually buy E4 or E5 ori edi. :banghead: Well if money is not an issue, surely will collect all evo series from 1 to 10 and even those older Lancer for collection sake.

At least yours is the ori CD9A so definitely worth to do up and keep 4 good.
mine also converting to e3, but it is not easy to convert, bodypart alone cost a lot, front suspension different, and yet i convert my front and rear brake to brembo.. currently no handbrake (got wilwood parking brake calipers, just no time to do it yet:listen:)..

my car is not perfect though, undergo same process like proton wira roof rusting problem, it occur on my car also... rear spare tyre place also got mini rust... need restore it slow slow

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
You call that a "junk yard" evo? Looks pretty damn good condition if you ask me especially considering how old the car is!

And I now know something for sure. Peterj played so many Honda expensive engines - he's a loaded fella. So the solution for the cracked piston sleeve is.... FORGED PISTONS!

:biggrin:

You know you can afford them. *ahem*

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
You call that a "junk yard" evo? Looks pretty damn good condition if you ask me especially considering how old the car is!

And I now know something for sure. Peterj played so many Honda expensive engines - he's a loaded fella. So the solution for the cracked piston sleeve is.... FORGED PISTONS!

He said he bringing forgies ma!!!

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching

Wallet really broken dy bro:banghead: the actual plan actually is to make it better a bit then stock,now becoming a total fully built engine:biggrin:

I am not loaded actually,i am just sacrifising time whereby my friend go travelling,enjoy themself and i do work with my parent to earn money since i am secondary school:rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:20 PM ----------

Even my cluth already bought and it is trinity stage 1 organic clutch only,i now scare cant hold the power,thinking just boost 1.2-3 enough then...

And bro izzo,wait u see the clear roof of it then u will say it is same as rusting wira roof:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 12:27 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:25 PM ----------

However,at least the chassis are all accident free and the electronic like ABS is working fine which is nice enough for me

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT? You're a secondary school kid??????????

I'm a bloody working adult and I can't afford to change engines like you have man. WTF am I doing wrong!

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT? You're a secondary school kid??????????

I'm a bloody working adult and I can't afford to change engines like you have man. WTF am I doing wrong!
no man, i now an 23 year old guy dy, u can count how many year i work since form 2:rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 04:18 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:14 PM ----------

furthermore, i m single not married and without kids.. lol

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching
the courier service really late, now can work with the engine block tomorrow if my friend have the time:sleep:

Behold, the forgies and my broken wallet

mmexport1411374483145.jpg

mmexport1411374487639.jpg

mmexport1411374497368.jpg

mmexport1411374491810.jpg

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Anybody got this installed?...is it ok?...coz im comtemplating on either GAB soft hard hi lo or Kayaba RS Pro hi lo...significant difference in pricing...GAB @ 2.2k n the Kayaba @ 1.3k++..some of my frens recommended me to go with kayaba as it is not that stiff compare to GAB (note: wife n small baby sometimes ride with me)...

Need advice...thanx..:biggrin:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience