What to check when buying 2008 Proton Persona SE

qms_ria

Jun 1, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Hi. I am buying a Proton Persona SE' 2008 from a used car dealer. Can anyone please tell me what things to check when buying a second hand proton car?? This is my first time buying a Proton. So I really don't know what to look for. I have already paid the booking and I'm waiting for the car to go for inspection in puspakom. The dealer insisted once the inspection is done, I pay him full.

Can anyone please accompany me to check the car, before I officially get it??

I'm attaching the picture of the engine here. Please lemme know if anything looks fishy..

Attachments

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Hi. I am buying a Proton Persona SE' 2008 from a used car dealer. Can anyone please tell me what things to check when buying a second hand proton car?? This is my first time buying a Proton. So I really don't know what to look for. I have already paid the booking and I'm waiting for the car to go for inspection in puspakom. The dealer insisted once the inspection is done, I pay him full.

Can anyone please accompany me to check the car, before I officially get it??

I'm attaching the picture of the engine here. Please lemme know if anything looks fishy..
Base on the picture, I can only say the battery definitely needs changing.
It's still the same old battery from the factory. Unless the owner changed to the same brand which is highly unlikely.
Should have buy my Persona. hahahaha.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
bro, a picture can only tell so much. If the owner is "sneaky" about the car, he would angle the shot to his advantage. You'll never know.

Instead of relying on photos, the better bet would bring along a mechanic when viewing the car. Just pay the mechanic by the hour and buy him a cuppa kopi after checking the car. The owner of the car might be upset or say something unpleasant though when he saw the mechanic...

Better be safe than sorry for the new owner, right?

if the car owner refuse to have this car checked, just walk away. There are plenty of used Persona in the market....
Might take some time, but you'll pick the right Persona.

Happy viewing!

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Test drive and if possible get a mechanic to check it out. Two main things, whether it has been in an accident and the other in the engine.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Make sure can test drive is always the best. Some used car dealers will say you will have to pay deposit for the car in order to test drive. So if any shit happens after test driving, they will promise your a place in heaven such as will change for u and bla bla blacksheep have you getting fool...?

All these cannot be trusted. Check tyres and just try to find any things that is faulty about the car to further negotiate the price. Not major problems type that can be fix, nego the price for the estimated cost to fix that particular part. Especially bald tyres.

Say price of the car is RM24K, if you ask for best price sometimes they tell you RM22K which is most of the time their base price. Nego more than what they offered u as so called discounted. See how low you can go.

Don't look desperate when buying the car. State your price that you think is the value for the condition of the car and lock the deal. Is all about who is more desperate :biggrin:

If you don't know how to check, then just bring a long your trustworthy mech.

Oh, also when viewing the car, don't let them start the car 1st. Cuz once engine warmed up, whatever obvious noise/problems might not be there anymore. Unless u r ready to test drive, ask them to start, listen if there are any funny noise, then start test driving. Don't let the car get warms up.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Oh, also when viewing the car, don't let them start the car 1st. Cuz once engine warmed up, whatever obvious noise/problems might not be there anymore. Unless u r ready to test drive, ask them to start, listen if there are any funny noise, then start test driving. Don't let the car get warms up.
But car when cold start sure to have noise mah! Oil have not circulated fully yet.....:biggrin:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
But car when cold start sure to have noise mah! Oil have not circulated fully yet.....:biggrin:
No la more obvious they say for problems. Remember my tak tak tak sound which was the fan belt, actually after warm up. the sound no longer there :biggrin:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
dont commit yourself buying the car in the first viewing. Check out a few more used Persona models, as there are lots of the in the market. It's not you are testing one and only ferrari in the whole malaysia.
You'll be surprised that the 2 cars of the same model, same year could drive differently.

Once you get the right car, right price, then buy it...

Dont let the salesman push you. Customer is king.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
dont commit yourself buying the car in the first viewing. Check out a few more used Persona models, as there are lots of the in the market. It's not you are testing one and only ferrari in the whole malaysia.
You'll be surprised that the 2 cars of the same model, same year could drive differently.

Once you get the right car, right price, then buy it...

Dont let the salesman push you. Customer is king.
Fully agree, Buy only if you are wholeheartedly like the car, if not you end up with something you don't like...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

helo....anyone know where the best place to mod bumper in penang....i would like to go n add bodykits...for iswara.......pls gv me some opinoin where is the best place.....izit RABK and LC is the best???
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience