DIY - Modifying Black and Decker ROB

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
I bought this B&D KP600 ROB some time ago. It was one of my first step into amateur detailing. B&D ROB is very common and available at many departmental stores and hardware shops. This machine makes a great tool for waxing or minor paint cleaning but it is very troublesome when you need to change pads because it uses bonnets instead of velcro pads. Another disadvantage is that you can only buy B&D Bonnets. :banghead:

So I am going to modify it so it can use velcro-backed pads.

[/URL][/IMG]

I bought velcro strip for RM5 per feet. 2 Feet is sufficient for this job. Make sure you buy the one with adhesive. If not, you'll have to use superglue or dunlop contact adhesive.
[/URL][/IMG]

B&D Bonnets are to be wore on the sponge pad attached to the machine. The sponge is the thing you want to remove.
[/URL][/IMG]

Using a pen knife, slowly cut the edge and peel it off.
[/URL][/IMG]

This is what it looks like when it is peeled off.
[/URL][/IMG]

Some adhesive and sponge will still stick on the plate. To remove them, I used mineral spirit. I poured some on a rough cloth and rub the plate until all is removed. Alternatively, you can also use thinner, turpentine, or minyak cap kapak! Seriously.
[/URL][/IMG]

Cut the velcro strips and stick stick stick...press firmly and dance ! Done. :rofl:
[/URL][/IMG]

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Make sure you use pads that are slightly bigger then your backing plate so it won't hit the paint just in case...

jerrysiow

Known Member
Jan 3, 2012
Seremban
Question pro, does the new velcro strip able to hold the pad firmly during waxing and polish job?

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Make sure you use pads that are slightly bigger then your backing plate so it won't hit the paint just in case...
The plate is about 120mm dia. Can use 135mm pads hehe

Question pro, does the new velcro strip able to hold the pad firmly during waxing and polish job?
It's quite strong actually.. The Velcro can hold the pads but the critical thing here is the adhesive. Must be good one

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
The plate is about 120mm dia. Can use 135mm pads hehe

It's quite strong actually.. The Velcro can hold the pads but the critical thing here is the adhesive. Must be good one
Roughly that size, 5.25 inch ones....but I think they have more 5.5 " pads now.

Yah! just have to try and see if the adhesive holds.....:biggrin:

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Can tt try yours out first.....:biggrin:
Im going to osren this weekend if have time to buy yellow and white pads hehe...then we can tt and grab Izso's car to DIT. Dont DIT Supra Fanatic's car coz he's going to send to roadside car wash wakkaka :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::banghead:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Im going to osren this weekend if have time to buy yellow and white pads hehe...then we can tt and grab Izso's car to DIT. Dont DIT Supra Fanatic's car coz he's going to send to roadside car wash wakkaka :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::banghead:
When his STD comes.....:biggrin:
ha! ha! I was going to say same thing. Do nice nice then next thing, he tell you he send to petrol station wash.......:banghead::biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I have this Steelmate Alarm. I am not sure but I believe it's the 898G model. This alarm came with the car when I bought it 2 years ago. So, I don't have the manual. I tried Googling for it but I still can't get it. A seller in zth also said that he doesn't have the manual online but can try searching in YouTube. I found a few videos but it wasn't what I wanted (but at least I know how to use the remote start function now after 2 years). I even went to a few accessories shop that sells...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience