Procedures on Selling, Buying and Trading in Used Cars

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Dear Bros and Sisters of ZTH. This thread was created for the purpose to know the right Procedures ,Processes and HOW in Selling Our Cars, Buying Used Cars and Trading in our cars for a 2nd hand cars.

We all know and some are concern like me which we may end up in a scam deal when selling or buying a used car. So, I just hope everyone here can help to share what you know or based on your experiences on what procedures, processes and things to take note when dealing with used car dealers. I realised is not really lots of info that we can find online. So, while I keep finding for more info. Maybe some of us could share whatever info necessary or precautions that we should take in selling or buying a car and even trading our cars.

3 Questions:

1) Procedures in Selling Your Car to Used Car Dealers.
2) Procedures in Buying a Car from Used Car Dealers.
3) Procedures in Trading Your Own Car to Get Another 2nd Hand Car from Used Car Dealers.
These is what I found that I can share in this Thread. Anyone is welcome to input more info and I shall amend/add in into the 1st Page.

(1) & (2) PROCEDURES OF SELLING / BUYING A 2nd Hand Car In Malaysia.

1. Document preparation (ALL JPJ FORMS CAN BE DOWNLOADED from JPJ website)
i. Get a set of transfer forms needed in the nearest J.P.J. branch.
a) Borang Semak (TM3).
b) Transfer of ownership form (JPJK3). (JPJK3A is for deceased owner)
c) Form to certify new ownership (TM-AB). (It is needed only if the new owner does not able present to JPJ)

ii. Fill up the form and sign it wherever necessary.

iii. The new owner’s identification card or MyKad have to be certified by:
a) An officer of the Transport Department.
b) A Commissioner of Oaths.
c) A Justice of Peace of J.P.
d) A Judge from the Session Court.

(If you wish to save some money, you could go to J.P.J. office. An officer there will help you certify the above documents.)

2. Puspakom - Car checking
Find the nearest Puspakom center to do this checking.
(please check it at http://www.puspakom.com.my/html/inspection_branches.aspx). Although your car should be in a good condition to pass the test, it is good idea to send it for servicing before sending it for inspection purposes. After that, Puspakom authorities will supply a K5 certificate which is required in the car transferring by the J.P.J. authorities.In my case (private car), it took me about one hour and the cost is just RM30.

3. New insurance purchasing
The new owner is required to buy a new insurance (under his/her name).

4. Submitting all the documents and the transfer form to the J.P.J. for transfer.
Another cost is a transfer fee of RM100. That's all for today. More fascinating articles and sharing will be updated from time to time in Xaivier Blog. Therefore, you are welcome to subscribe our feed, look at our sitemap or simply visit our Homepage.

Written by: Xaivier Chia

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Other Useful Links:
-For more information about No Claims Discoun (NCD), Excess, Own Damage Claims, Theft and Windscreen Claims etc.
Roadtax.com.my

-JPJ forms and Q&A-

http://portal.jpj.gov.my/index.php?...-sukarela&catid=6:kenderaan&Itemid=42&lang=en

-"I wish to inform you that “middle men” demand as much as RM450 – RM500 for such a transfer. So, do you think the amount is worth paying for such a job done, by all means, you could engage their services."
How To Transfer Vehicle Ownership In Malaysia

P/S: I paid RM250 for so-called "middle man" (Motor Insurance Agent) for processing step 1, 3 and 4 after I settle Puspakom myself. In fact, it was a not bad experience for me in Puspakom. Just drive my car to Puspakom and then wait for checking. That's all. Simple and save money.

P/S: For latest information about "Procedure of Selling / Buying a Second-Hand Car in Malaysia", please consult J.P.J. officer in your nearest J.P.J. branch or log on Portal Rasmi Jabatan Pengangkutan Jalan Malaysia.

//==============================================//
Updated: 2013 Oct
About sell your car during the existing Hire Purchase (HP) term:
"When you sell your car during the existing Hire Purchase (HP) term, ensure the outstanding loan is fully settled with your financier before you transfer the ownership. You will be liable for any unpaid installments as long as the HP loan is still under your name" - AKPK

Source: Procedure of Selling / Buying a Second-Hand Car in Malaysia

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3) Trading in Your Car, For Another 2nd Hand Car from Used Car Dealers.

This is the one that I can find minimal info on how to go about it and what are
the procedures in Malaysia.

Say, I trade in my Car at RM23K and interested in a RM13K 2nd Hand Car.
Say Full Settlement for my car that I'm going to trade in is RM19K and I'm trading at RM23K.

So what are the procedures and ways to do it? Anything to take note? I'm not quite clear with
trading cars to get another used car procedures. Hope anyone here care to share. :adore:

Last edited:

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
all jpj forms can be downloaded from JPJ website.

---------- Post added at 03:23 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:21 PM ----------

for busy ppl,
could get PUSPAKOM (PMI) to come to your doorstep no matter at home or office to inspect your car, but only for car transfer name. costs rm130, very punctual infact.

insurance & roadtax could be bought online via MyEG

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008

---------- Post added at 03:23 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:21 PM ----------

for busy ppl,
could get PUSPAKOM (PMI) to come to your doorstep no matter at home or office to inspect your car, but only for car transfer name. costs rm130, very punctual infact.

Bro what about if you want to trade in your car and at the same time buying another 2nd hand car from the used car dealers? How does the amount go about? I don't quite understand this procedure.

Full settlement for a car that has outstanding of RM25K could be around RM22K or lower. So, if the dealer were to take in my car, he will need to get a loan from another bank for my selling price at RM25K and pay me in cash?

But if I have yet to transfer the ownership to him, I won't be getting paid right?

Before selling once both agreed on the price, I know i need to send the car for inspection.
Then only go to JPJ to sign on ownership transfer, that's where and when the dealer pay me?

So once he paid the RM25K to me, I settle with my own bank for the remaining loan?

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur

for busy ppl,

SF tumpang thread.

Danz, Roadtax on MyEG need to provide what details?

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
SF tumpang thread.

No problem. MyEG quite straight forward. Just follow the instructions and you will be fine.

This is the only details they ask from me. I only have 2 choices of insurance to choose from at that time. Is okay to have different insurance company. They can process it. I chose AIG.

Car Model : (What year, What spec and transmission)
Latest Contact number :
Second driver name & Ic number :
Delivery Address :
Permanent address (policy) :
Hire & purchase (which bank) :
Owner’s Marital Status :
Owner’s Occupation :
Insurance Company (which one you prefer : RHB / AIG) :

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Guys, just want to ask if the owner wants to sell a car but he is not able to come to KL. May I know what is the procedure?

All I know is that, the owner can only go for Suruhan Jaya Chop at JPJ or at Suruhanjaya.

But during the ownership transfer, if owner is not able to present but as long I have the form with his IC attached, signature and the suruhanjaya chop, the ownership transfer is valid?

Because, that's the process I went through when buying my Kancil. The guy who is selling the car on behalf of the owner, pass me the form with owner's IC and chop and then just tell the counter that the owner is unable to present.

Just hope there is no complication in the process or is there any easy way for me to hire a runner to get it done for me?

twistedpotato

Aug 9, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Guys, just want to ask if the owner wants to sell a car but he is not able to come to KL. May I know what is the procedure?

All I know is that, the owner can only go for Suruhan Jaya Chop at JPJ or at Suruhanjaya.

But during the ownership transfer, if owner is not able to present but as long I have the form with his IC attached, signature and the suruhanjaya chop, the ownership transfer is valid?

Because, that's the process I went through when buying my Kancil. The guy who is selling the car on behalf of the owner, pass me the form with owner's IC and chop and then just tell the counter that the owner is unable to present.

Just hope there is no complication in the process or is there any easy way for me to hire a runner to get it done for me?
Starting tomorrow both new and old owners must be present at jpj to do ownership transfer via thumbprint.
Don't think so the tm-ab form can be used anymore. Found out when i settled selling my kancil today.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
SF tumpang thread.

No problem. But then in MyEG is easy. Just follow the instructions and there will be columns for you to fill in the details required. Just send and it will be done if u mean by doing online.

If at the counters will cost more for service charge but easy on the spot.

Starting tomorrow both new and old owners must be present at jpj to do ownership transfer via thumbprint.
Don't think so the tm-ab form can be used anymore. Found out when i settled selling my kancil today.
I'm not sure whether it is possible as it takes centuries to even try to reach to JPJ. I bought the kancil last month and I just pass them the TM-AB form with the IC, Signature and Chop from the owner, can't remember if there is a thumbprint there. Should have I suppose.

Seller told me to just walk to the counter and tell them that owner is unable to present since he is in other state. I sent them an e-mail to double confirm. Just not sure when they are actually gonna reply. Might try to call them again

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I'm not sure whether it is possible as it takes centuries to even try to reach to JPJ. I bought the kancil last month and I just pass them the TM-AB form with the IC, Signature and Chop from the owner, can't remember if there is a thumbprint there. Should have I suppose.

Seller told me to just walk to the counter and tell them that owner is unable to present since he is in other state. I sent them an e-mail to double confirm. Just not sure when they are actually gonna reply. Might try to call them again
Bro. twist mentioned starting tomorrow meaning today (1/4/2014) probably new procedure.....:banghead::banghead:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Bro. twist mentioned starting tomorrow meaning today (1/4/2014) probably new procedure.....:banghead::banghead:
Like that really damn la. Means have to transfer ownership to me.
If transfer to me, means I have to drive all the way to ipoh to do it.

But is it possible to change ownership without release letter?

twistedpotato

Aug 9, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
No problem. But then in MyEG is easy. Just follow the instructions and there will be columns for you to fill in the details required. Just send and it will be done if u mean by doing online.

If at the counters will cost more for service charge but easy on the spot.

Oh you already passed them? Did they update your name in the car grant?
Anyways try calling them and check if you're the updated owner. try the maju junction office 03-26989572 or shah alam office 03-55669555 .
It was easier for me to get through them than the other jpjs by phone.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Oh you already passed them? Did they update your name in the car grant?
Anyways try calling them and check if you're the updated owner. try the maju junction office 03-26989572 or shah alam office 03-55669555 .
It was easier for me to get through them than the other jpjs by phone.
Ya they did update my name on the grant cuz ownership transfer is transferred on the spot.
But like you said, starting tomorrow means cannot adi. They told you starting tomorrow?
You asked them bro?

Ya calling JPJ putting me on hold for like 5 minutes with that annoying waiting ringtone.

Okay will try to call. Thanks bro. Is also JPJ right?

twistedpotato

Aug 9, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Ya they did update my name on the grant cuz ownership transfer is transferred on the spot.
But like you said, starting tomorrow means cannot adi. They told you starting tomorrow?
You asked them bro?

Ya calling JPJ putting me on hold for like 5 minutes with that annoying waiting ringtone.

Okay will try to call. Thanks bro. Is also JPJ right?
Oh if updated on grant then i think it's ok d. haha i said tomorrow yesterday bro, so means the new rule starts today. Yup. My buyer used a runner even he said runner also cannot settle after today.
Both owners must be present.
Yea those jpj branches at maju junction and shah alam. They can check from their system if you're the owner.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Oh if updated on grant then i think it's ok d. haha i said tomorrow yesterday bro, so means the new rule starts today. Yup. My buyer used a runner even he said runner also cannot settle after today.
Both owners must be present.
Yea those jpj branches at maju junction and shah alam. They can check from their system if you're the owner.
Oh u mean that number is just to call for ownership checking? But if my name is printed on the Geran then should be fine la. Cuz I did the ownership transfer myself with the buyer along on that day.

Cuz I just want to check on the ownership transfer procedure.
But your buyer use a runner, if ownership can't be done means u have to be there? Or you had already went for ownership transfer with the buyer bro?

Kindly share the procedure. Really headache now. Sell to used car dealers they give you crap price no matter how good condition is your car.

twistedpotato

Aug 9, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
That number is the branch's line. You gotta ask them to transfer to tukarhakmilik department then you can ask the officer in charge to check for you. I think if it's on the geran should be fine d. You can double check with them.

I bought my new car using the normal procedures and sold my kancil using runner. Both similar, but if use runner i don't have to go to commissioner of oath all. He settle everything for me.
When the transfer was done the new owner's name was on the grant and got updated in jpj's system. If u used tm-ab form the owner doesn't need to be there but his documents must be verified by commissioner of oath/mahkamah etc. Only u must go.
But if u use runner both also no need to go la.

From april 1st got new procedure d. Both buyer and owners must be present to do transfer via Mysikap(some new online system for jpj) for the thumbprint of owner and buyer. I roughly only know that from what the JPJ officer told me. Maybe there's another hassle free method to do it. Try checking with jpj and see.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys, as topic states my coilovers need a rebuild. So far only place that rebuilds hypermax 2 that I've been able to find is Garage R in Singapore.

Suggestions?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience