freshly painted car

naqi

Known Member
Nov 30, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
hi, i just recently repainted my whole car to a different colour. I've been thinking of getting it polished, waxed and even coated. what do you guys reckon i do? step by steps and pros and cons. Sending it to a detailer cause i dont have the knowledge and skill to do it on my own.

fazidk

3,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Hi naqi...if u had ur car sprayed d shop wld have already polished n waxed ur car before delivering it to u...therefore it's x necessary to have it polished n waxed again (this is x advisable actually)...assuming they did it ur next step is to just 'coat' it...tho I'm x sure y u need to do it unless they used a 'cap ayam' brand paint n lacquer on ur ride...

naqi

Known Member
Nov 30, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
fazidk, i bet they're using cap ayam ones because the price i paid fro was quite cheap. and for the money their workmanship was rough edges can be felt here and there as i have an OCD. haha.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
I would advice a protective coating over the new paint....
The new paint probably being polished prior the car is delivered to you...unless the polishing done is cincai....

muyo

Known Member
Jan 27, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Hi naqi...if u had ur car sprayed d shop wld have already polished n waxed ur car before delivering it to u...therefore it's x necessary to have it polished n waxed again (this is x advisable actually)...assuming they did it ur next step is to just 'coat' it...tho I'm x sure y u need to do it unless they used a 'cap ayam' brand paint n lacquer on ur ride...
they did polished it, but mostly with aggressive G2/G3 compounds, that would remove a layer of un-even on the paint. You still need to refine it later to make it look sharp. fzidk, do use your phone LED to check the paint, how? take your phone place it on your head and check on the doors. The lights need to shine directly opposite, you'll spot something then let me know.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
fazidk, i bet they're using cap ayam ones because the price i paid fro was quite cheap. and for the money their workmanship was rough edges can be felt here and there as i have an OCD. haha.
If your repaint is cheap and you suspect chap ayam brand lacquer, why do coating? The coating may even cost more than your paint....
DIY, regular washing and waxing loh.....:driver:

---------- Post added at 08:57 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:56 AM ----------

Do we have to wait for the paint to harden first?
I do recall something about new paint being quite fragile.
Paint nowadays are fast drying.....

fazidk

3,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Then my advice is polish lightly 1-round to 'rid' of d roughness...then give it a wax for protection..even if its 'cap ayam' brand if care is given it shld last for a while...based on my experience even 'cap ayam' brand can last at least 2 yrs if cared properly..

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:26 PM ----------

they did polished it, but mostly with aggressive G2/G3 compounds, that would remove a layer of un-even on the paint. You still need to refine it later to make it look sharp. fzidk, do use your phone LED to check the paint, how? take your phone place it on your head and check on the doors. The lights need to shine directly opposite, you'll spot something then let me know.
Yes correct...that's y u shld enquire or be observant (if u were there when they were about to spray ur car) on d number of coats they do on ur car n d thickness of d paint mix (some over dilute d paint wiz thinner to save use of paint..)...that way when using G2 or G3 to polish x much of d lacquer will be removed...

Some shops also just do G3 polishing n release d car...G3 polishing is a 2-step before finally coating wiz wax...

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
naqi : if your paintjob was a cheap one - I suggest you get that coating done asap. If it's cheap then the clearcoat probably will be kinda soft and will get very very easily chipped.

Kinda like mine. Sigh.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
naqi : if your paintjob was a cheap one - I suggest you get that coating done asap. If it's cheap then the clearcoat probably will be kinda soft and will get very very easily chipped.

Kinda like mine. Sigh.
Actually to me, is cc is soft won't chip easily, if hard easier to chip. Maybe too thin.....:hmmmm:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008

Kinda like mine. Sigh.
You guys should have sent your car over to Fazidk to respray better la. Con lan firm satisfy geh. Seen his work before :rofl:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Mine was done for a low RM750 because I got 'dealer' price for the paint after doing a lot of other things with the shop. But unfortunately it seems the paint chips off very easily and even plastidip kills the clear coat. And it was only much later I found out fazidk was so near to my house. Kinda late to change my mind.

Anyway, I'm pretty determined now to spray my own car myself now. I think I've found my paint (a variety of plastidip only cheaper), I have the spray gun, now all I really need is canvas sheets to block the wind or an enclosed garage. Dammit. I wish I could buy over my neighbors house and convert it into a double story garage.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Mine was done for a low RM750 because I got 'dealer' price for the paint after doing a lot of other things with the shop. But unfortunately it seems the paint chips off very easily and even plastidip kills the clear coat. And it was only much later I found out fazidk was so near to my house. Kinda late to change my mind.

Anyway, I'm pretty determined now to spray my own car myself now. I think I've found my paint (a variety of plastidip only cheaper), I have the spray gun, now all I really need is canvas sheets to block the wind or an enclosed garage. Dammit. I wish I could buy over my neighbors house and convert it into a double story garage.
Buy bigger house bro. Or just totally extend your house and totally cover the backlane. That's your new garage and directly living next to your parents' house :laugh:

I think no one would come kacau if no one complained. :rofl: Since that backlane not really for rubbish truck to go by or anything.

Either that, build a wall to your front door. Glass door would be your entrance to your mini garage. Front door for getting into the house without passing by your garage.

Haha! Ya, I visited fazidk only to realised his place so near yours.

fazidk

3,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Bigger house oso x point la..if immediate neighbors x complain somehow or rather other ppl will...x to mention d authorities oso make rounds something like spot check...if kena sure hailat:)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

as per advertised in Traffic Magazine, the Japan GT issue (red)

damn nice (IMO) artwork...
any comments to improve?

and the Traffic Magazine topic..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience