MRS engine burning engine oil

jacloh

Mar 17, 2010
Johor Bahru
Hi all,

I just brought a year 2000 MR-S not long ago and found it the engine is really thirst for engine oil.
From my last oil change until now, about 3000km run, I have already top up another 4L of engine oil.
Currently, the engine oil is less than half in the engine oil check stick.
And I also having RPM dipped when my car came to stop from running.
Basically, it will drop to around 500rpm (car start jerking) and return back to around 1000rpm.
Sometimes during iding also, it will dipped to around 500rpm too..
I have since change my spark plug, battery and also clean MAF sensor, idling valve and throttle body.
Every time after I did something (the above mentioned), the RPM become better but the condition will return the same after some driving.
Currently, the mileage has more than 170000km on it.
Hence, I was wondering should overhaul my engine?
and how much roughly it will cost?

I'm also thinking to turbocharged my engine in a later stage if I overhaul the engine, so is it better if I just swap in 3sgte?

Please give some suggestion and idea.
Thank you.

BeCool

Known Member
Jan 4, 2006
Got white smoke when u rev??
Mine also burning, but not that serious.
Check the piston ring

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
1ZZ-FE engine? IF yes, then I dont have a MRS but just same spec engine. Mine was burning engine oil as well. Less than half
especially if I drive hard for few days. There is once almost no more engine oil. Engine oil was consumed even faster then.

When I thought of overhaul, I was too late but was being advised to do so about a year ago but then since the car still can drive didnt bother. End up gasket pecah and water went into the engine. Couldn't overhaul/rebuild but open up and checked, indeed my piston ring is no longer good condition which is why consume engine oil as well and other parts in the engine.

Best to overhaul if wanna keep same engine. Mine start to consume engine oil also around 180,000 mileage.

Dayline668

1,500 RPM
Aug 4, 2007
KL
If u wan more power then go for a 2zzge swap, is more then enough for a light weight car. If u intend to keep stock then overhaul it n do it ASAP as the oil consume was serious to avoid more costly repair if u damage the internal.

jacloh

Mar 17, 2010
Johor Bahru
Thanks for the advise, I guess I have to get my engine overhaul then..
Anyone know roughly how much could be the cost for overhaul?
And any idea of reliable workshop in JB for overhaul toyota engine?
Thank you..

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

Supra_fanatics,

Is ur engine come out white smoke when it consume a lot of engine oil?
Cos my mechanic friend told me, if piston ring spoilt, should have white smoke..
So just wondering if it could be no white smoke even the ring is spoilt..

Dayline668

1,500 RPM
Aug 4, 2007
KL
If the ring is gone should be purple smoke.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Thanks for the advise, I guess I have to get my engine overhaul then..
Anyone know roughly how much could be the cost for overhaul?
And any idea of reliable workshop in JB for overhaul toyota engine?
Thank you..

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

Supra_fanatics,

Is ur engine come out white smoke when it consume a lot of engine oil?
Cos my mechanic friend told me, if piston ring spoilt, should have white smoke..
So just wondering if it could be no white smoke even the ring is spoilt..
I was quoted around 3K for overhaul at 1st depending on what's needed to Change as well later. Was just a rough figure given to me. Mine last time I seen once got white smoke but after that no more, so thought nothing wrong, but then my parts inside is more severe than I thought. But then could be because of the car overheating that melted some of it according to the workshop but piston rings is really bad. Since adi start consume so much oil might as well overhaul bro. If no problem wouldn't overhaul as well. unless unplanned for a better engine transplant than leave it until you have budget to change hehe! :biggrin:

Better than having more serious problem like day line bro mentioned.

xMika

500 RPM
Feb 28, 2010
Selangor
could be the camshaft and timing chain oil seal already kong lor ... if no white smoke or smoke then its leaking .. not burning d ..

jacloh

Mar 17, 2010
Johor Bahru
Just checked at workshop today.. No leaking.. So confirm is burn oil..
Was quote RM1-2k for labour, parts should be around 3k plus for toyota ori parts.. Estimate roughly 5k plus altogether..
So I guess I should go for overhaul soon.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
5k? Why not consider swap

jacloh

Mar 17, 2010
Johor Bahru
Ixeo, swap also not cheap.. Some more dunno the engine condition..
Dun want later swap already, same case happen also..

BeCool, 2zz too expensive liao.. I think at least 10k -12k for the swap..
If 5k can swap 2zz, I also want leh.. Hahaha..

Last edited:

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
i dont see this as an expensive fix, sumtimes its d choice of oil jer.. what brand and grade of engine oil are u using now?