DIY - AirCon Filter Cleaning

johnsonlam

DIY King
Nov 17, 2003
Balik Pulau, KL
This DIY is applicable to ALL Japanese cars as they share the same Air Con system. This is a long posting as I am covering cleaning for Washable and Not Washable Air Con Filters.

------

My family car Alza was just a little over 1 year old. Realized that the AirCon seems to not be blowing as strong as it was when it was new, especially on full blast.

So, I took it out and check.

Here's the compressed step of how to get to your Filter in a Perodua Alza

WOW!!! The filter is filthy!!! Just 1 year and it is filled with Dust, Dirt, Dead Bugs... and this car is always on AirCon and never have the windows wind down.

WARNING : READ THIS PART Carefully.

For most of the modern cars, AirCon filter is made out of synthetic fiber... These are WASHABLE.
Some cars comes with disposable Paper based filters (Which is usually coated with Activated Carbon), these are NOT WASHABLE. Scroll below for cleaning guide.

For Fiber type, you can just use the hose to wash off the dirt.

Here is how it looked like after washing down half of the filter.

After washing the whole filter, it looked just as new!

After that, dry under the sun until its fully dried up.

Install it back and you are DONE!

=======================

Cleaning Guide for Paper Type Filter

This one is DIY done on a Mitsubishi Lancer, which uses Paper type AirCon Filter. As you can see, the location of the AirCon filter is Exactly THE SAME.

For Paper type, you can gently tap the dust and debris away.

You can also vacuum it gently to remove stubborn dusts.

Closer look of the cleaned AirCon filter... you can see it contains activated carbon to remove bad smell from your car.

------

Install back the filter properly and you are...
DONE and enjoy Powerful AirCon once again.. :driver:

johnsonlam

DIY King
Nov 17, 2003
Balik Pulau, KL
Luckily my Proton is just under the dashboard and very accessible. Didn't clean the blower as well?
Blower for both cars are as clean as new.
I guess the filter was working very well preventing any tiny dust from blowing thru.

johnsonlam

DIY King
Nov 17, 2003
Balik Pulau, KL
Plus point! My blower will get dusty. My filter is plastic though? hmm
really?
I thought all protons comes with paper filters..

you mean it's like a thin plastic netting?
anyway to replace it to paper box filter?

I seen a lot of after market ones..

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Zzzzz dude your Alza filter...you drive with the top down most of the time ka haha

Great DIY btw. Cheers.

johnsonlam

DIY King
Nov 17, 2003
Balik Pulau, KL
Yea, its like a thin sheet of plastic. See the one near the blower? On the windshield.
Not planning to. Paper better filtration?
Hmm Looked like Standing fan filter :)
Yeah, paper better filtration of course... just that it is also more restrictive...

---------- Post added at 10:14 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:12 PM ----------

Zzzzz dude your Alza filter...you drive with the top down most of the time ka haha

Great DIY btw. Cheers.
Yeah.. my ALZA convertible.. and since Malaysia have very nice Spring and Autumn weather, i keep the top down for 1/2 a year.. HAHAHAH..

Actually no wor.. The Air Con is on all the time and have the windows all up. Just occasionally in Cameron Highlands and East Coast highlands, have it down for a while.. that's all..

These are all dust just from the air we breathe... that's the scary part!

johnsonlam

DIY King
Nov 17, 2003
Balik Pulau, KL

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Thanks bro! Was thinking of sending my Altis for service since aircond is no longer cold...
Maybe will try your DIY washing method. Just on time.

Thanks!

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi all, i'm planning on to retrofit my Perdana V6 headlamps but it seems that I need to remove my bumper to get the headlights out...anyone here familiar with removing a PV6 bumper? Thanks...:wavey:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience