Replacing the alternator

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Papagoines : It's possible la. Just make sure the pulley on the alternator is the same size or larger. If it's smaller it'll cause a lot of load on your engine!

Guys, I finally swapped out my old and dying 70A alternator with a new 90A alternator. The pulley on the alternator was exactly the same size so that was a bonus. Now my ICE sounds so much better! Almost completely different. Me likey! Lots of good praise for this upgrade that's for sure. Hasn't affected my cars 'feel' at all too. Seems to perform the same. Double bonus!
Blinker / ICE HU problem solved?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
so far so good. As I said earlier, this issue was intermittant so I need to keep testing. But since the change everything has been working unbelievably well (electronics wise)

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
a fren of mine says, there is a place in pudu where they can mod the alternator to bigger amps using the original housing by recoiling the copper coil but i didn't ask where, btw got my tester pic.

new info, alternator mod, in pudu near the Chinese school & in jln Ipoh ol' building area coz he don't remember the shop name
Yes... recoiling, the term that I need...

I know one shop at kajang can do the same thing... just have to buy hafkat alternator as a guinea pig

Papagoines : It's possible la. Just make sure the pulley on the alternator is the same size or larger. If it's smaller it'll cause a lot of load on your engine!

Guys, I finally swapped out my old and dying 70A alternator with a new 90A alternator. The pulley on the alternator was exactly the same size so that was a bonus. Now my ICE sounds so much better! Almost completely different. Me likey! Lots of good praise for this upgrade that's for sure. Hasn't affected my cars 'feel' at all too. Seems to perform the same. Double bonus!
As per twistedichc, it just recoil the internal... me think the pulley stay the same

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yes... recoiling, the term that I need...

I know one shop at kajang can do the same thing... just have to buy hafkat alternator as a guinea pig

As per twistedichc, it just recoil the internal... me think the pulley stay the same
It depends on the space inside. Some I see already quite pack tight inside.
Those days can just change carbon brush, nowadays got diodes....:hmmmm:

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
thanks for the head's up... will ask the sifu when finally able to send the alternator

twistedichc

2,000 RPM
Jan 22, 2013
Ampang Point
those days only have lights, air-cond & simple ICE only maa, nowadays so many electronically device to consider, "macam2 ada" everything got loorrr. those days u might call them alternator as dynamo for u'r bicycle, now it have to be like a generator for the whole house maa:biggrin::driver:

---------- Post added at 06:11 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:09 PM ----------

thanks for the head's up... will ask the sifu when finally able to send the alternator
wehh, don't forget later tell where & costing arrr, might want 2 upgrade mine 2:biggrin::adore:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
those days only have lights, air-cond & simple ICE only maa, nowadays so many electronically device to consider, "macam2 ada" everything got loorrr. those days u might call them alternator as dynamo for u'r bicycle, now it have to be like a generator for the whole house maa:biggrin::driver:

---------- Post added at 06:11 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:09 PM ----------

wehh, don't forget later tell where & costing arrr, might want 2 upgrade mine 2:biggrin::adore:
Last time my former car alternator konk, went to recon shop they only recon, no upgrade...:hmmmm:

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor

l2s_turbo

1,000 RPM
Oct 23, 2004

Good for you bro Izso, i had mine swapped years back from 90A to 140A. A whopping increase. Car felt lighter and smoother too.. :driver::driver::driver:

http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/car-problems/391787-evo-3-alternator-issue-6.html#post1063826618

l2s_turbo

1,000 RPM
Oct 23, 2004
No performance drop with such a big upgrade?
Nope, it's better in fact.. the rev is lighter due to the alternator is running ball bearing type. it's a E46 alternator.. the size is much much bigger than the original alternator... custom brackets and change belt..

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Nope, it's better in fact.. the rev is lighter due to the alternator is running ball bearing type. it's a E46 alternator.. the size is much much bigger than the original alternator... custom brackets and change belt..
Ball bearing alternator!!! I WAN!!! How on earth did you retrofit it into your Cefiro? (I assume you drive one based on your avatar..) Custom brackets?

l2s_turbo

1,000 RPM
Oct 23, 2004
Ball bearing alternator!!! I WAN!!! How on earth did you retrofit it into your Cefiro? (I assume you drive one based on your avatar..) Custom brackets?
It's a perdana bro.. my fren customize it for me.. he also use it for his kancil.. (he plays SPL) so need high ampere alternator.. all from BMW series..

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
It's a perdana bro.. my fren customize it for me.. he also use it for his kancil.. (he plays SPL) so need high ampere alternator.. all from BMW series..
kancil???? mind sharing how to contact your friend? wanna ask for alternator + custom brackets + new belts + installation into my kancil will cost me :hmmmm::hmmmm:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

WANTED------> rear disc brake for n13!

i want it with exel.
please contact me if u found it...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience