Replacing the alternator

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Not sure if the higher amp alternator will have significant drain on your engine power to drive it unlike a bigger air con compressor that is a lot heavier to drive.

Yup, asking in the forum is another way, unless one who had a similar problem that was fixed, but like you first time hearing about it, so cannot help....:rolleyes::smokin:
I think the alternator just run when the engine is running.
It won't drain the engine power like superchargers. :biggrin:

twistedichc

2,000 RPM
Jan 22, 2013
Ampang Point
I've done a headlight (high light), air con full blast coldest setting, reverse gear engaged, HU, 3 amplifiers blasting techno song and wiper on test. Everything is ok and the light dims a little with the bass but that's it. When it works it works great. When it doesn't work, the blinkers will reset my HU. Freaking weird.

And this is the first time I've heard a bigger ampere alternator will improve car performance. I thought the bigger the ampere the heavier the alternator so more effort is needed do drive it? If more effort means parasitic drain on the engine power therefore less overall power no meh?

I dunno. When I test the battery with a battery tester it shows that it's in top condition. It's the first time I've ever heard blinker resetting HU too. You know me. I'm all for DIY but when it comes to problems I can't resolve I usually post in the forum
if yu're running HU + 3 amps, maybe u should change ur ACC fuse edi, it's overloading a bit but doesn't blow u're fuse @ u could try adding a relay for u'r sound system remote switch 4 those 4 items like i did. if change to slightly bigger alternator, it may effect u'r pully a bit but does not effect u'r car performance, if it does, i think the first thing u'll notice is a drop wit u'r RPM coz u'r engine is running heavier like when u on u'r a-cond the RPM drops (maybe):hmmmm:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
i mean performance gain not that u can really feel it...at most highest gain maybe u can feel better engine respond accelerating from idle...or minor fc improve......especially for old car with unstable supply to ecu....

heavier to drive maybe...but really close to negligible la....only magnetic resistant in rotation..no mechanical load like a/c compressor like unker vr said :adore:

and yep me also pelik your problem...maybe u can re-check back your power supply taken from which relay/power source...especially for the switching on/off...not the main big power cable to amp/hu....(if not mistaken most audio got 2 power source....one that is always on for main source...another is pilot for switching it on/off
Yup, one is standby power, but his running one is tapped direct from battery already....:hmmmm:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I think the alternator just run when the engine is running.
It won't drain the engine power like superchargers. :biggrin:
No la. Try driving with a 100A alternator instead of your stock 70A and the different in power is very obvious. I dunno about supercharger but performance will be affected for sure.

if yu're running HU + 3 amps, maybe u should change ur ACC fuse edi, it's overloading a bit but doesn't blow u're fuse @ u could try adding a relay for u'r sound system remote switch 4 those 4 items like i did. if change to slightly bigger alternator, it may effect u'r pully a bit but does not effect u'r car performance, if it does, i think the first thing u'll notice is a drop wit u'r RPM coz u'r engine is running heavier like when u on u'r a-cond the RPM drops (maybe):hmmmm:
Hmm.. ACC fule overloading eh.. that's a possibility. The fuse I'm using is a 100A one so that should be the bare minimum for it to work no?

And adding a relay to my HU and amps power? How does that work?

Btw VR2 : My car you should know by now isn't standard. I have a direct 10ga wire from the battery directly to the HU for constant power, a VS that only has one lead (positive) and using a larger NS70 battery. Wiring I'm pretty sure I did properly but worth checking like what Twistedichc said. May try that.

twistedichc

2,000 RPM
Jan 22, 2013
Ampang Point
Yup, one is standby power, but his running one is tapped direct from battery already....:hmmmm:
if head unit reset (e.g all radio freq setting lost & need to set back) that means power supply from batt is cut out, unless he means that it turned off & then on again without losing it's memory like the radio freq it's definiely the remote supply problem

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

No la. Try driving with a 100A alternator instead of your stock 70A and the different in power is very obvious. I dunno about supercharger but performance will be affected for sure.

Hmm.. ACC fule overloading eh.. that's a possibility. The fuse I'm using is a 100A one so that should be the bare minimum for it to work no?

And adding a relay to my HU and amps power? How does that work?

Btw VR2 : My car you should know by now isn't standard. I have a direct 10ga wire from the battery directly to the HU for constant power, a VS that only has one lead (positive) and using a larger NS70 battery. Wiring I'm pretty sure I did properly but worth checking like what Twistedichc said. May try that.
now i pressume your single HU original remote wire turn on all of the 4 ice items rite. add a relay from u'r HU remote wire. like we all know the 4@5 pin relay that we used e.g for that power horn is actually a switch that allows the battery supply direct to the working unit & it is turned on by the original power supply from the horn button (power from ur dashboard fuse).in this case, add another wire direct from batt to the relay, than the output should go to the 4 items in your ice, than your original remote wire for your HU acts as the trigger to the relay.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
if head unit reset (e.g all radio freq setting lost & need to set back) that means power supply from batt is cut out, unless he means that it turned off & then on again without losing it's memory like the radio freq it's definiely the remote supply problem

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

now i pressume your single HU original remote wire turn on all of the 4 ice items rite. add a relay from u'r HU remote wire. like we all know the 4@5 pin relay that we used e.g for that power horn is actually a switch that allows the battery supply direct to the working unit & it is turned on by the original power supply from the horn button (power from ur dashboard fuse).in this case, add another wire direct from batt to the relay, than the output should go to the 4 items in your ice, than your original remote wire for your HU acts as the trigger to the relay.
Bro. twist an ICE sifu....:driver:
Yup, Bro. Izso, does the HU looses it's memory during shut down?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
That's good diagnostic thinking. I didn't think of that.

No it doesn't loose the settings so it might just be the remote. But how on earth does the remote get affected by the blinkers?

And why do I intermittantly get problems with the battery light turning on?

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

No it doesn't loose the settings so it might just be the remote. But how on earth does the remote get affected by the blinkers?

Faster find out, maybe got stories for our Ghost Stories thread......hahahahahaha:rofl::rofl:

twistedichc

2,000 RPM
Jan 22, 2013
Ampang Point

it's in the distribution fuse box i think, coz u'r batt supply to the fuse box comes from 1 way & usually it's a serial circuit & the blinker fuse comes first than only for ice, so when the blinkers is on, it consume the power & the ice only get the leftover power & it doesn't support enuff coz ur ice is already a 4 unit set up + ur dashboard too needs power rite, thats what i'm thinking though.

when exactly that the batt light usually turn on, is it @ idle, medium speed @ high speed, have u checked the alternator output power, bought 1 simple tester for batt/alternator power from ACE (darn the buyer for this diy shop is a good 1, maybe tonite i'll post the pic here) just bcoz got problem wit my batt before.:biggrin: what i'm thinking is yes u'r alternator is gonna give up soon, if it's a leakage problem than ur batt might be dead edi:hmmmm:

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
Need clarification.... izzit possible to uprate an alternator to give more power... like for my example, got 40A alternator wanna uprate to 50A

because heard somebody says it can, but long time ago

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Need clarification.... izzit possible to uprate an alternator to give more power... like for my example, got 40A alternator wanna uprate to 50A

because heard somebody says it can, but long time ago
If can find a bigger amp one that can fit, why not?

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
If can find a bigger amp one that can fit, why not?
Rather pool more money and uprated the existing alternator so its plug-n-play... rather having to mod mount point and guessing which belts that can fit

twistedichc

2,000 RPM
Jan 22, 2013
Ampang Point
Rather pool more money and uprated the existing alternator so its plug-n-play... rather having to mod mount point and guessing which belts that can fit
a fren of mine says, there is a place in pudu where they can mod the alternator to bigger amps using the original housing by recoiling the copper coil but i didn't ask where, btw got my tester pic.

new info, alternator mod, in pudu near the Chinese school & in jln Ipoh ol' building area coz he don't remember the shop name

Attachments

Last edited:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Papagoines : It's possible la. Just make sure the pulley on the alternator is the same size or larger. If it's smaller it'll cause a lot of load on your engine!

Guys, I finally swapped out my old and dying 70A alternator with a new 90A alternator. The pulley on the alternator was exactly the same size so that was a bonus. Now my ICE sounds so much better! Almost completely different. Me likey! Lots of good praise for this upgrade that's for sure. Hasn't affected my cars 'feel' at all too. Seems to perform the same. Double bonus!

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Sepang International Circuit played host to Shell Malaysia's launch of their enhanced motor oils today, which now includes a brand new ‘Fuel Economy’ product in order to cater for the growing market demand for higher fuel efficiency by upgrading...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience