[DIY] Cleaning your throttle body

samurai76

Feb 8, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
during initial engine start up this morning, i found out that heavy smoke came out from the exhaust tail and it remains for few minutes..is it normal ??...and also the rpm went high as 2500..then it went down to 2000 rpm..until now the rpm is between 1500 - 2000..is it normal ?? should I send to p2 service centre to re-tune..help me2x...

punk

Known Member
Aug 6, 2011
Negeri Sembilan
during initial engine start up this morning, i found out that heavy smoke came out from the exhaust tail and it remains for few minutes..is it normal ??...and also the rpm went high as 2500..then it went down to 2000 rpm..until now the rpm is between 1500 - 2000..is it normal ?? should I send to p2 service centre to re-tune..help me2x...
yes bro, jus send to p2 to tune it. Rm17 only.
Jus like the diy said, u should handle with care. maybe u knock it dy.
Some say can reset by taking out negative terminal for 15 minutes and so on but jus go to p2 to tune it better.

samurai76

Feb 8, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
thx bro punk for the input...this morning I havent put the smaller o-ring back to its origin place as suggested by u in the earlier msg...got no time lahh...end up with I drove the car to office with high rpm and the engine sounds so loud as well..conversely, I figure out that the engine performance is running so smooth, faster, etc....just know, I reopen all the sensors,bla bla mere to put the smaller o-ring..then, reinstall back the sensors, etc and start the engine....YESS...the rpm back to normal...just want to scream out loud...full satisfaction...:driver:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
bro Izso,
ur DIY really inspired me to clean my TB...thx a lot...Immediately, I went to the nearest spare part/hardware shop to buy the necessary stuff..I followed all the steps given by u...unfortunately, during installing all those nuts, hose, sensors,etc, I figure out that the smaller rubber O ring left...I immediately look again at ur DIY and there are two types of rubber O ring...I really thought that smaller O ring is the new one that u want to replace...please advice me the exact location of the small rubber O ring...huhu...
Thanks Punk for replying. CNY holiday mood no time to logon!

great share. Hopefully alza's tb is same like myvi. what's the result if I messed up the hoses?
Alza's TB is very similar to Myvi. Not exactly the same but very close. Just make sure you take it out the exact way you put it in. Wrongly placed hoses might get your vacuum messed up. But most of the time everything is unique and isn't interchangeable so you should be ok. Take a picture before you do the DIY and refer to the picture if in doubt.

thx bro...I did the TB cleaning process yesterday night..thats why I couldnt notice the smaller o-ring...
Aiya.. first time do something never do it at night. You'll miss alot if you don't see properly. Only thing you should ever do the first time at night is the thing you do with your girlfriend.. in your room.. with Barry White playing in the background. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Can I use engine degreaser instead of carb cleaner?
Some degreasers leave an oily residue. If it doesn't then no harm using it. Whatever you use, as long as it doesn't leave an oily layer or whatever layer then you're good to go

samurai76

Feb 8, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Aiya.. first time do something never do it at night. You'll miss alot if you don't see properly. Only thing you should ever do the first time at night is the thing you do with your girlfriend.. in your room.. with Barry White playing in the background. :biggrin:
Izso san...I got no GF laaa...haha...by the way, instead of cleaning the TB, what are the other functions of carb cleaner ?? is it can be used to clean the brake components/systems ??

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Izso san...I got no GF laaa...haha...by the way, instead of cleaning the TB, what are the other functions of carb cleaner ?? is it can be used to clean the brake components/systems ??
Nah. You use it to clean your carburetor or your throttle body only as it dries up very fast and attacks oils and some types of dirts only. If you use it on calipers it might not be strong enough to remove brakedust.

samurai76

Feb 8, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Izso san, all sifus & members of the house,

how frequent we should clean the TB ?? any idea ??

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Izso san, all sifus & members of the house,

how frequent we should clean the TB ?? any idea ??
I personally check the TB every time I service my car. If it's dirty I clean it. If it's not, I leave it. Simple. No real fixed routine schedule.

Jan 6, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Just to share, i had a problem with my campro iafm before when my car clocked at 40K. i am having a loud engine knocking sound and after some googling, i am expecting problem with the iafm module since the behaviour is same. after a diagnose, i figured out that my manifold was crack, that was the reason why my fc getting higher.

done replacing the fiberglass iafm intake manifold, the knocking sound is still there and even worst my car keep die when i stop at traffic light which is not happen before the manifold change. the ideal rpm is very rough indeed. I went to sc and do full engine check and tuning. they change bosch iafm solenoid located at the left side of the manifold and the knocking sound was gone but they didnt find any problem with the tuning and asked me to return if the car still having problem. my car still die at traffic light right after i drove out from the sc.

enough with sc where they also didnt find any problem with my car, i decided to buy a carb cleaner at nearest shop. take out the TB and do a TB clean up and reset. after that, the ideal was smooth again and my FC was dropping. I quite shock at just two years old car with mileage clocked at 40K, but having such a problem. i couldnt imagine a campro iafm that bought earlier than me and they didnt do the cleanup until now. i think because of the vacuum pressure, not cleaning TB will crack the manifold. I have no problem until now and repeat to do a TB cleanup every 10K.

for those who want to do a DIY, use TB cleaner because it is safe to sensor and prepare non reusable parts before doing. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

anyone knows about this company? i think my friend has been cheated. he buys a te37 with this company. but until know the company dont have any respond. if anyone have information about this company, their location, contact number or anything, please respond. thank you.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience