Car Paint

simplythebest

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Selangor
Hi, i have a few questions regarding car paint.

- What are the good paints in your opinion? Few brand makers like?

- How many layers are you expecting? Metallic and Pearl different layers?

- The white paint 'Champion White', how many layers? If I choose to spray the whole car, i want the quality as good as CHampion White. :rock:

tajulsans

1,000 RPM
Jul 31, 2004
Soo Bang
simplythebest said:
Hi, i have a few questions regarding car paint.

- What are the good paints in your opinion? Few brand makers like?

- How many layers are you expecting? Metallic and Pearl different layers?

- The white paint 'Champion White', how many layers? If I choose to spray the whole car, i want the quality as good as CHampion White. :rock:
Autocolor, Alesco & Nippon are some local OEM paint supplier.. Quality should be top notch..

the layers required depend on alot of factors, skill of sprayer, mixing etc etc.. generally should be only two layers, color coat and clear coat (but one coat might require a few layers to get the expected quality).. unless it is sprayed on virgin surface lah..

If you choose the good quality paint, than the onli determining factor is the sprayer skill and spraying facilities..

FGT

500 RPM
May 19, 2007
Hi,

Thought I need not open a new thread to ask this question:

I was googling about for some colours to repaint my car and came across some awesome colours which they say are 5-layer paints. Does it mean that the paint should have 5 coats before the clear coat is applied to get the desired effects?

How many layers are the the average metallic paints like, for example, the Pearl White of the latest Toyota Altis? That paint has some pearly effect so just wondering.

Thanks!

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
What about Dupont Paint? Good?

FGT

500 RPM
May 19, 2007
Glasurit la.

Forget everything else. And just pass them your wallet. :biggrin:
LOL But actually I am seriously considering Glasurit if budget allows. :P

Any places that you can recommend around Klang Valley?

A shop in USJ quoted RM3K for a glasurit metallic colour - exterior only.

What about Dupont Paint? Good?
Based on my google findings, DuPont seems to be quite good. PPG is the next best thing if you don't want Glasurit it seems.

But still, a pro painter is crucial also. No point paying so much for a good paint that ends up at the hands of a not-so-skilled painter.

Last edited:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Dupont is quite good. But not it's not exactly cheap either, though not as expensive as Glasurit. I did mine for close to 3k exterior only but a custom metallic green, "Lotus British Racing Green". :biggrin:

What I've seen those expensive shops do is panel repair --> base coat (usually white or black) --> paint --> Clearcoat.

The trick is getting the goodstuff for the clearcoat and mid-range stuff for the paint. So if you can afford good clearcoat, go for the good stuff. The rest are just there to give it colour. Clearcoat gives it that gloss and protects the paint from fade.

I did my paint via CV Audio Uptown Damansara. They have their own panel painter but they normally don't entertain paint requests unless you're a regular or is buying car accessories from them (ICE) and is wanting to do paint as part of the package.

FGT

500 RPM
May 19, 2007
Dupont is quite good. But not it's not exactly cheap either, though not as expensive as Glasurit. I did mine for close to 3k exterior only but a custom metallic green, "Lotus British Racing Green". :biggrin:

What I've seen those expensive shops do is panel repair --> base coat (usually white or black) --> paint --> Clearcoat.

The trick is getting the goodstuff for the clearcoat and mid-range stuff for the paint. So if you can afford good clearcoat, go for the good stuff. The rest are just there to give it colour. Clearcoat gives it that gloss and protects the paint from fade.

I did my paint via CV Audio Uptown Damansara. They have their own panel painter but they normally don't entertain paint requests unless you're a regular or is buying car accessories from them (ICE) and is wanting to do paint as part of the package.
Well, I don't know if the price quoted includes clear coat but will ask further. Let's hope it's Glasurit as well. Haha.. I'm a bit anal about bodywork and paint jobs coz hell, we look at it everyday.

And yea, makes sense. Need a good clear coat to protect that awesome custom colour. :)

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Glasurit la.

Forget everything else. And just pass them your wallet. :biggrin:
My wallet cannot cover Glasurit woh!....:rofl:
RM3k seems cheap. I remember my friend did his for like 5 to 6k or maybe is whole car change color...

fazidk

3,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Actually when it comes to d paint itself x really necessary to get a top brand (but x go for 'cap ayam' either)...brands like Nippon or DuPont is more then sufficient...d name of d game is to try sticking to a single brand (paint,lacquer,thinner etc)...importantly is to look @ d lacquer s it's main jobs are to give d car d shine s well s protection from nature..n yes if u want d best do go for glasurit...n yes d painter skill n d mixer comes to play very important role in getting d wanted result...

---------- Post added at 07:24 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:18 AM ----------

To tell u d truth, just to spray externally aka outside only for 3k is a bit high...even if it's so-called custom color...but of coz if u need other additional work to be done like panel beating, rust work etc then it's possible...:)

Gimme a buzz if ur looking for n alternative...I might be able to assist u...I can be reached via call/SMS/whatsapp @ 019:3097725...

LOL But actually I am seriously considering Glasurit if budget allows. :P

Any places that you can recommend around Klang Valley?

A shop in USJ quoted RM3K for a glasurit metallic colour - exterior only.

Based on my google findings, DuPont seems to be quite good. PPG is the next best thing if you don't want Glasurit it seems.

But still, a pro painter is crucial also. No point paying so much for a good paint that ends up at the hands of a not-so-skilled painter.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
aisay man.. why you never post your post in my colour change thread sometime ago. Then I might've saved some money!

FGT

500 RPM
May 19, 2007
aisay man.. why you never post your post in my colour change thread sometime ago. Then I might've saved some money!
LOL Izso you are already happy with the results. No need to worry about the money you might have saved.

Gimme a buzz if ur looking for n alternative...I might be able to assist u...I can be reached via call/SMS/whatsapp @ 019:3097725...
fazidk, I'll PM you of the rough details of my car's paint job. Thanks!

fazidk

3,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Hahaha I have a thread advertising my paint biz so long oredi la bro...:)

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
What paint u using fazidk? I was quoted below RM3K for just painting the exterior. My previous photo for the knocking job, already show how's the paint looks like.

fazidk

3,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
actually bro S_F d kind of paint depends on customer request BUT im used to (in order):
- dupont
- alesco (from nippon)
- carmix
- glasurit

tq n rgds

fazid
019-3097725
FB: FZ Hauz of Kalerz

like i mentioned bro it IS possible to reach d 3k mark even if its exterior spraying..especially if u have additional work eg body knocking, rust treatment work etc etc...x to mention d type of color eg solid or metallic or pearl or crystal etc etc...n of coz d type/brand of lacquer u insist to use...

What paint u using fazidk? I was quoted below RM3K for just painting the exterior. My previous photo for the knocking job, already show how's the paint looks like.

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

sifu sifu want to ask your opinion on the breather hose..my engine after driving for a while then back at home, i notice the breather hose coming out some asap not much just like engine oil is hot..fitted with oil catch tank and temp gauge read 50c to 60c.. but i not very comfortable with the slight asap coming out from the breather hose...is it cause by the wap of the engine? or engine trouble..

currently car fitted with oil cooler,gear oil cooler, change all valve seal,gasket top to...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience