Buying 2nd Hand Cars Experiences. Share at will.

TOMEI-R

500 RPM
Jan 14, 2004
Why have to be different? Recond cars are also used cars, just direct from overseas and not yet used here, right? Actually FYI I also did test drive some used Mark X & some other cars too from used car dealers, not just recon ones. :biggrin:

Then why do you have to test drive so many units of Mark X before you buy? Those are all Mark X made by the same Toyota Motor Company aren't they?:biggrin: Different companies have different procedures.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Test drive a few to see which are at a better condition. If you say is a new car then, testing it will be the same. But then to some extend, some did test drive the same car at showrooms, and end up different in terms of performance. Buying a new car and buying a 2nd hand car is different.

Testing a few used car is norm, end of the day, will pick the best out of those tested.
I guess that is why a few used Mark X was tested by him.

We do not know the history of the car, how well the car was maintained by previous owner or any other things hidden. Can't just judge by looking at the exterior condition of a 2nd hand car.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Then why do you have to test drive so many units of Mark X before you buy? Those are all Mark X made by the same Toyota Motor Company aren't they?:biggrin: Different companies have different procedures.
Used cars are not the same even though they're made by the same company, I think everyone knows that. They're used cars so anything can go wrong regardless of what the sellers claim! One example is that I found this car has very weak brakes, hence practically all the cars I've tested were not confidence inspiring in terms of hard braking. The car I finally chose shall I say was one of the best of the worse (there were 1 or 2 other also similar but rest were even worse). Then some other made some noises from the suspension. Another one got a bit more jerky transmission/not as silky smooth. So you get the point, right?

More over there are many choices & variants available in the market for Mark X so of course have to test many to find out which one will be the best choice. By testing them I can judge if the opening price is worth it and if the car is in good condition (I drove them quite hard btw). Of course if the car I was looking for was very rare then surely cannot test many lah, that's just simple logic.

I've been buying and owning used cars for more than 20yrs and I've enough experience NOT to trust sellers too much and trust more of my own judgement. And this is how I normally buy used cars which is to test drive them until I got the one I'm most confident within my budget. The car I've finally chosen was the best condition I think I can get with the price on offer and just the right features available without going overboard with stuff I don't need.

csl

1,000 RPM
Aug 22, 2005
Malysia
So far, I never face any problem for test drive. What I did was hold the HSBC check book on my hand :biggrin:

Car and human are the same, both are as good as their last resume. You can opt for bringing a specialized mechanic to check the car before you dig your wallet, or keep the downpayment until the car send to a specialized workshop to check and have green light from mechanic (on your cost of cause). There is no such thing as NO for a businessman. You just need to show the money and open your mouth. As long as it is not ridiculous, normally ok. Mileage, lady driver, and etc all are busted myth since last 2 decades. If don't do 18KS, how a loktor can determine how much Hep B antigen you are having? Or, women with big and round bump must be easier to get pregnant (aka Ho Sang Yeung)? :biggrin: A car condition only can be told after checking and diagnostic. Now businessmen even open a specialized workshop and give you a warranty on the used car which par to a new car.

But to be fair to everyone, there are too many people request test drive and after test go else where to test drive just for the sake of spending the free time. I also did that but my friend's father own the shop la :biggrin:

TOMEI-R

500 RPM
Jan 14, 2004
So far, I never face any problem for test drive. What I did was hold the HSBC check book on my hand :biggrin:

Car and human are the same, both are as good as their last resume. You can opt for bringing a specialized mechanic to check the car before you dig your wallet, or keep the downpayment until the car send to a specialized workshop to check and have green light from mechanic (on your cost of cause). There is no such thing as NO for a businessman. You just need to show the money and open your mouth. As long as it is not ridiculous, normally ok. Mileage, lady driver, and etc all are busted myth since last 2 decades. If don't do 18KS, how a loktor can determine how much Hep B antigen you are having? Or, women with big and round bump must be easier to get pregnant (aka Ho Sang Yeung)? :biggrin: A car condition only can be told after checking and diagnostic. Now businessmen even open a specialized workshop and give you a warranty on the used car which par to a new car.

But to be fair to everyone, there are too many people request test drive and after test go else where to test drive just for the sake of spending the free time. I also did that but my friend's father own the shop la :biggrin:

Couldn't agree more to that.... :smokin:

john_unai

Known Member
Aug 9, 2011
mtkb
so far, i never face any problem. experienced buying 2nd hand car 2 times, both also from mudah.my. they never ask for deposit b4 test drive or whatsoever. d first car i buy, the salesman even inform me that the throttle body already rosak and replace it before i buy. when i call him to test drive, he come to my doorstep with the car for me to test drive. i said i hv no transport to go his place to test drive d car :biggrin:

the second car also good. after test drive i want to buy d car but the deposit a quite high. i said to the salesman that i dun have enuf cash for deposit. he said nvm, i spare d car for you and next month after gaji you come again get it. then the next month i call him the car still there waiting for me.

maybe just my luck:biggrin:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Satria is good,the car looks old?:confused:
Depends on how well you maintain a car bro. A well maintained car like VW Beetle the 1st Batch, it can look real good and even nicer than modern new cars.

Anyway Satria, got few versions. Satria GTi is one of the best ever made claimed by many. But
also thief magnet

ColdPlay

Known Member
Jun 16, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Finding a good used car dealer is always a headache. Accompany my friends a few time for a hunt. Out of 9 dealer we went to, only 2 happily allowed for a test drive. One in Taman Maluri near Jaya Jusco which is Anfas Auto (not sure if still around) and another one was TKT Enterprise in Desa Tun Razak next to MRR2 (most recent, just sharing and not promoting).
The rest are giving the same excuses : "If I let you test drive and anything happened, how? will you bear the repair cost?"
Me, " Can you guarantee that you car is has no major problem?"
Dealers, " Of course lah! I had been in the business for many years."
Me, " OK, thank you. and walk away.
Test drive before deciding is fundamental as there is no way to check the gearbox and arms condition during idle.

Bringing someone which has a good knowledge on cars is important during a hunt. This will avoid being conned or end up buying a problematic car.
Of course, used car tend to have a little problem here and there. It's just a matter of finding one which has minimal problem or does not cost a bomb to repair.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Finding a good used car dealer is always a headache. Accompany my friends a few time for a hunt. Out of 9 dealer we went to, only 2 happily allowed for a test drive. One in Taman Maluri near Jaya Jusco which is Anfas Auto (not sure if still around) and another one was TKT Enterprise in Desa Tun Razak next to MRR2 (most recent, just sharing and not promoting).
The rest are giving the same excuses : "If I let you test drive and anything happened, how? will you bear the repair cost?"
Me, " Can you guarantee that you car is has no major problem?"
Dealers, " Of course lah! I had been in the business for many years."
Me, " OK, thank you. and walk away.
Test drive before deciding is fundamental as there is no way to check the gearbox and arms condition during idle.

Bringing someone which has a good knowledge on cars is important during a hunt. This will avoid being conned or end up buying a problematic car.
Of course, used car tend to have a little problem here and there. It's just a matter of finding one which has minimal problem or does not cost a bomb to repair.
All I can say is, always ask them not to start the car while viewing a car, only ask them to start the car when you decide to test drive. You may want to hear how the engine sounds but then, u can do it after inspecting the car inside out, then only ask if can test drive? If can, then only start the car.

But once start the car, drive it straight and never wait for it to warm up. Once the car has warm
up, lots of sounds will no longer be obvious. That's one of the tips in buying 2nd hand cars.

Is just norm that you will hear more things during a cold start.

john_unai

Known Member
Aug 9, 2011
mtkb
Depends on how well you maintain a car bro. A well maintained car like VW Beetle the 1st Batch, it can look real good and even nicer than modern new cars.

Anyway Satria, got few versions. Satria GTi is one of the best ever made claimed by many. But
also thief magnet
fully agree with dat, bro!:tee:

JFD9777

Feb 12, 2013
Johor
The best to buy secondhand car is from your friend tat u trust.well if somethin goin wrong wif the car that it is easy to fond him.but make sure he or she were expert n have a good intel.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Just a quick dumb question, or just my imagination.

Can we actually requests to open up the valve cover just to see the internal's condition?
Depends what you're buying. If you put a 10% non refundable deposit. Maybe.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

My Car is 1974 GTO.2000cc Rear Wheel
All thing in car die.
engine dont know 5 year no start.
body many broke already inside got sands,inside car got insect.
steel need to cut off and put new one.
paint die.
5 year did't touch the car.
How can i make it on the road with style.With Drift
What engine recomend to transplant?
How about the car Body?
What should i need to do?
Recommend me any workshop with good experience and got do paint and transplant together is better.
How much i...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience