Starting Problem

kluangman7

Jan 31, 2008
I am driving 1G-FE Altezza.
Recently I had problem starting up the engine.(twice)
first, about a month ago.crank normally but did not start.( no problem with battery or fuse:confirmed by 3 mechanics i took to my house ).so i gave up, and i called the tow truck..but when the the guy came to tow my truck..he tried to start and the engine start normally in first try..crank once and start..).this guy said might be the fuel line fill with air or the filter in fuel pump causing the problem..I just agreed along with this idea...untill last week...:hmmmm:
It happened again...crank normally but not start..as if theres no fuel pumped into the engine....this time..i tried pumping the fuel pedal thousand times..as suggested by the tow truck guy...but didnt work...for days i tried the same thing...untill yesterday...i crank..and it start...:hmmmm:

So now..what the hell is going on..:hmmmm::hmmmm::hmmmm:..anyone ever encountered the same problem?.. is there any problem with the fuel pump.? or fuel line? any advice...

anyway i will bring the car to workshop this weekend to let the mechanic check it out..

any info beforehand would be very much appreciated...:driver:

i have owned this car for 8 years..this is the first time this car ever gave me a problem...for 8 years..smooth sailing.:biggrin:..normal service..normal maintenance...no problem whatsoever...will try to keep as long as i live...i hope...( my wife ask me for to trade for a new car...hehehe )...

kluangman7

Jan 31, 2008
Oxygen sensor? is it the same with MAF sensor?

is it repairable or just change the sensor? any idea how much would it cost..?

nyantong

Known Member
Jul 26, 2008
In this case, try and observe whether the fuel pump works before cranking. Usually when you turn the key to "ign", you will hear a whirring sound from the fuel pump. If no whirring sound, the pump is not working. If the pump works, there may be a leak from the fuel rails back to the fuel tank. In which case you have to check if there is a return hose for the fuel system. If there is, there is a chance that the fuel pressure regulator may need to be replace as it cannot hold the pressure in the system. Also try checking if there's any tear in the fuel hoses in the fuel tank.
In the exception that there is nothing wrong with the fuel system, it could just be a simple key remote battery low charge whereby the alarm cannot detect the key and won't start the car as a safety feature.

peteshawn

Known Member
Nov 5, 2012
Aston UK
Just incase anyone is interested the fault was caused by a bad earth connection . Not on the battery but lower down out of sight:confused:

Body earth points are critical on all cars but more so on modern cars with all the computers involved.
It is a good idea when servicing to check all the earth points for security and cleanliness and if in any doubt to remove them,clean them and the body contact area and refit.
It may have been caused by the underbody wash, the high pressure water jets may have disturbed the earth point which was already defective.

just a theory i might be wrong but give it a go checking won't do any harm
:driver:

kluangman7

Jan 31, 2008
the car did it again...this morning..failed to start.:banghead:..i thought to send the car this weekend...
i guess i have to wait the miracle again..when it starrts again..surely i will bring the car to the workshop immediately...
:bawling:

AE111_SEG

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2005
Putra Heights
i suggest take it to Trial for a diagnostic check..... i dont think it is serious problem......:proud:

kluangman7

Jan 31, 2008
Yes...i plan to send to them this weekend....:driver:
and hope the car will start beforehand..or i will have to call the tow truck again.. :bawling:

peteshawn

Known Member
Nov 5, 2012
Aston UK
I am driving 1G-FE Altezza.
Recently I had problem starting up the engine.(twice)
first, about a month ago.crank normally but did not start.( no problem with battery or fuse:confirmed by 3 mechanics i took to my house ).so i gave up, and i called the tow truck..but when the the guy came to tow my truck..he tried to start and the engine start normally in first try..crank once and start..).this guy said might be the fuel line fill with air or the filter in fuel pump causing the problem..I just agreed along with this idea...untill last week...:hmmmm:
It happened again...crank normally but not start..as if theres no fuel pumped into the engine....this time..i tried pumping the fuel pedal thousand times..as suggested by the tow truck guy...but didnt work...for days i tried the same thing...untill yesterday...i crank..and it start...:hmmmm:

So now..what the hell is going on..:hmmmm::hmmmm::hmmmm:..anyone ever encountered the same problem?.. is there any problem with the fuel pump.? or fuel line? any advice...

anyway i will bring the car to workshop this weekend to let the mechanic check it out..

any info beforehand would be very much appreciated...:driver:

i have owned this car for 8 years..this is the first time this car ever gave me a problem...for 8 years..smooth sailing.:biggrin:..normal service..normal maintenance...no problem whatsoever...will try to keep as long as i live...i hope...( my wife ask me for to trade for a new car...hehehe )...

did u managed to fix the problem?:driver:

kluangman7

Jan 31, 2008
Not yet...

Fuel Pump is OK..
Spark plug OK..
but when they ran diagnose using the computer..my O2 sensor were at fault..both of them..so well done DanzEterna...you are right..
Unfortunately they Did'nt have the spare part for that last Saturday..so i am still waiting for their reply today whether they have it or not..
still checking..any idea how much would it cost...?
anyway..one of the mechanic said that...even though the O2 sensor is damage/broken..it would not preventing the engine from starting up...is it true.?
anyway..since no other abnormalities...the fuel pump works just fine..the Fuel is actually pumped into the engine..so theres no problem with pressure or fuel line...

so they just recommend to change the O2 sensor..and we'll see from there..whether it will solve the problem or not...

yes...i towed the car to sungai besi last week..and..the car started after few minutes in the workshop....:stupid:

AE111_SEG

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2005
Putra Heights
It could be multiple issue....Pls do keep up posted on the progress...

kluangman7

Jan 31, 2008
I checked the price with Toyota part centre, they quoted the O2 sensor for RM 1050 per pcs..
since 1G Engine has two..so total cost about RM 2100..Holy S**t..and it will take about 3 weeks for delivery from japan...
i tried calling for after market is about RM500...but still need to order and might take some times...
i searched in ebay..and there are UK and Aus Sellers...cost about RM 300-500...
the problem is..i fear that even after i change the O2 sensor...there's no guarantee that the problem will be solved..
since we are just assuming that's the problem that we found...

i am screwed if i bought this sensor which is not that cheap..and still have difficulties wtarting the car...emmmm...:banghead:

peteshawn

Known Member
Nov 5, 2012
Aston UK
I checked the price with Toyota part centre, they quoted the O2 sensor for RM 1050 per pcs..
since 1G Engine has two..so total cost about RM 2100..Holy S**t..and it will take about 3 weeks for delivery from japan...
i tried calling for after market is about RM500...but still need to order and might take some times...
i searched in ebay..and there are UK and Aus Sellers...cost about RM 300-500...
the problem is..i fear that even after i change the O2 sensor...there's no guarantee that the problem will be solved..
since we are just assuming that's the problem that we found...

i am screwed if i bought this sensor which is not that cheap..and still have difficulties wtarting the car...emmmm...:banghead:

SERIOUSLY that silly lot of money for two freakin small sensor.... would total advised you to get a low millage 2nd hand used... and if it's not the sensor u wouldn't be that hurt then bought a brand new sensor:listen:

kluangman7

Jan 31, 2008
totally right.I am trying to get 2nd hand sensor.n see whether it solve the problem.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys,

Well just wanted to know something....i m drivin a iswara a/b 1.3 carbie.Planning to install some meters.If i m installing a oil pressure gauge,water temp or oil temp gauge,how actually would their install it on my car.I mean,do they need to drill or do any modification on the engine? Anybody can explain the process for me?Thanks. :wink:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience