Repair puncture on Sidewall

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

Took these pictures to share with members. The owner repaired the puncture on the sidewall using normal pierce method. To me this is not safe, because sidewall is flexing area and should not be repaired this way. Of course there have been users who have done this and have used the tyres until bald. Well, they are lucky, or they could be Sunday drivers in town, driving to and from market or something. However if you are using for outstation travel and so on, it is safer just to change it.
If you really still need to use it, ask the tyre shop to try and source a tube for you. Nowadays it will be difficult to find as most tyres are tubeless now. For safety reasons if cannot find a tube please change the tyre...:listen:

markblurberry

Known Member
Jun 24, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Yeah..its accident waiting to happen...i face such a problem before, and took it to the tyre shop...the boss refuse to patch up for me, he said sidewall is too dangerous to repair, and he dont want to be the guilty one if anything happen...

khoohl

Jul 13, 2009
Its very dangerous. Sometimes save money on changing tire is not wise, especially in this case.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Actually there's better way to fix it. The tire has to be dismantled from the rim and then some piece/layer of rubber patch will be pressed using a special machine so that the rubber patch will get blended into the tire rubber. I've tried this kind of repair before in Jakarta, even though it's not on the side wall but the mechanic said this technique is good enough to also fix sidewall puncture like that. Judging from the way it's done, seems pretty safe. Last time a shop in PJ offered me this exact method when I wanted to fix one puncture.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Well yea, I guess it still depends on how bad is the puncture. If it's torn quite big and even worse that the steel belts are broken, then of course have to replace. But if it's only a small rubber hole, then there's still a chance, especially if you just drive normally (not high speeding or hard cornering).

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
it can be done from the inside, but most shops dont have dat special patch. ive only seen one shop have it, 15hengget per patch, it was satisfactory when they did it for me. i would rather have dis patch for every puncture on any of my tyres, but most shops dont even know dis type of patch exists

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Actually there's better way to fix it. The tire has to be dismantled from the rim and then some piece/layer of rubber patch will be pressed using a special machine so that the rubber patch will get blended into the tire rubber. I've tried this kind of repair before in Jakarta, even though it's not on the side wall but the mechanic said this technique is good enough to also fix sidewall puncture like that. Judging from the way it's done, seems pretty safe. Last time a shop in PJ offered me this exact method when I wanted to fix one puncture.
Yes, there is a few other ways. Internal patch method. Internal patch method with plug, Internal heat method, but still not advisable for sidewall, as the sidewall is always flexing and anything stuck to it can still come off in the long run.

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:21 PM ----------

Well yea, I guess it still depends on how bad is the puncture. If it's torn quite big and even worse that the steel belts are broken, then of course have to replace. But if it's only a small rubber hole, then there's still a chance, especially if you just drive normally (not high speeding or hard cornering).
Sidewall do not have steel belts. They usually have nylon or polyester, depending on their make and some are 1 ply and some are 2 plies. Steel belts are always at the thread pattern area only. Steel belts helps to keep the thread pattern in contact with the ground, whether when going straight or in corners. If really need to use, put it in the rears.....

---------- Post added at 03:47 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

it can be done from the inside, but most shops dont have dat special patch. ive only seen one shop have it, 15hengget per patch, it was satisfactory when they did it for me. i would rather have dis patch for every puncture on any of my tyres, but most shops dont even know dis type of patch exists
Internal patch with plug like this one...

Instruction also shows repairs for thread pattern area only....

Got the pictures from Weng Tat in Subang. They have them. Use these when kena a slightly larger hole where the normal plug in don't work...

Last edited:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
The method I mentioned above is not like your pictures above. It's literally a big patch of rubber only which is pressed with machine so that it blends in with the tire rubber.

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
if got punctures like that, burn rubber on d tyre until u see steel wires..

then change it with new ones :biggrin:

at least u used d tyre entirely :burnout:

hehe

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
cant blame the user for repairing the puncture on a budget....with the economy nowadays...the cost of replacing a tyre would be better spent on other higher priority stuffs....

but i would rather patch it with the internal patch instead of the plug.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
The method I mentioned above is not like your pictures above. It's literally a big patch of rubber only which is pressed with machine so that it blends in with the tire rubber.
Ah! the iron burn method with natural rubber. I only know of one more shop doing it, but still they do for the thread pattern area only. Sidewall they do not guarantee so they rather not do it. Anyway, the sifu there already left. Tried repairing using that method but did not do a good job....:banghead:

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
not safe to patch this way. totally agreed with most - to patch from the inside...cost a little more but life is priceless

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

L & G,

1st of all, thx 4 reading my topic...hihi

What material dat i shud use to re-shining dis ctr bullet & protect dis frm happen again? Pic as below (damn ugly rite?)

Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience