CFE engine and likelihood of manual transmission (hypothetical discussion)

ecal echal

Known Member
Nov 25, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
its an economical good turtle car...whack a corner hard n fast,can turtle hard n fast also...cuteness in an EXTREME package. hehehe
power/ratio is nevertheless good and proved to be one of the best fuel saving car on the road
for PReve with CFE,it's recommended (as usual for P1 cars),buy 3rd or 4th batch onwards...less problems,people say la...
apologies if this post is kinda OT... :)

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
so change for adjustable la.........................
Changing to adjustables will no doubt improve it's handling. But the suspension geometry and articulation points are set up with greater emphasis on comfort and reducing cost rather than good handling. I'm afraid if changing to adjustables and then whack corner 'kaw-kaw' will result in this:

Perodua Myvi Rear Axle Snapped

:bawling:

peeche

Known Member
May 16, 2006
Sin City, MY
so change for adjustable la.........................
hahaha.
no need to change laa.
since it's not my car.
just driven it when we all go out together.
it's fine, as long it being driven properly.

p/s : your spouse not gonna like it once you change to adjustable. especially by the time she's pregnant and your baby can't sleep on long trip. i've experienced that. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

mystvearn83

Known Member
Oct 5, 2008
Read from Proton Motorsports FB page and zerotohunderd's news page:
1. Satria Neo will get some minor upgrades after restarting production.
2. New SN R3 version to be announced after.
3. There will NOT be a manual transmission R3 SN/Preve based on the CFE (turbo engine). Cost to make it too high. Looks like they still have not managed to nail down the problems with the enigne.

kcng

500 RPM
Jun 24, 2008
Selangor
kcng1983.blogspot.com
when manufacturer say cost is too high... meaning the ROI is not worth it yet....
the demand for manual tranny dont justify the development cost yet...

case in point:
all want/wishing for preve CFE manual... but let just say proton did produce CFE manual, how many will go buy?
my money will be that those who keep bitching about wanting a CFE manual will buy the auto instead with the reason being, KL jam la.. manual sure sakit...

just look at the number of manual transmission car that is being sold in general...
easily outnumbered 50-1

pfffffttttt.....
wussies........

Last edited:

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
when manufacturer say cost is too high... meaning the ROI is not worth it yet....

case in point:
all want/wishing for preve CFE manual... but let just say proton did produce CFE manual, how many will go buy?
my money will be that those who keep bitching about wanting a CFE manual will buy the auto instead with the reason being, KL jam la.. manual sure sakit...

just look at the number of manual transmission car that is being sold in general...
easily outnumbered 50-1

pfffffttttt.....
wussies........
Let Proton produce it first, then customer should decide whether wanna buy or not. More choice for the customer is always a good thing. It's not an obligation or something to buy their car.. :banghead:

People who love manual trans will always buy manual cars as long as their legs can work the clutch, and not everyone lives in the crowded city of Kuala Lumpur... :burnout:

mystvearn83

Known Member
Oct 5, 2008

case in point:

easily outnumbered 50-1

pfffffttttt.....
wussies........
One of the reason the manual preve is not selling well is the lack of accessories compared to the auto CFE version. Airbags, TC, ESC, BA, ISOFIX missing from the MT version.

Parents with small child need booster seat are forced to buy the higher end version because of ISOFIX. So MT disadvantage there-it is unappealing

kcng

500 RPM
Jun 24, 2008
Selangor
kcng1983.blogspot.com
Let Proton produce it first, then customer should decide whether wanna buy or not. More choice for the customer is always a good thing. It's not an obligation or something to buy their car.. :banghead:

People who love manual trans will always buy manual cars as long as their legs can work the clutch, and not everyone lives in the crowded city of Kuala Lumpur... :burnout:
bear in mind proton (or any other car makers) are business entities, which basically means they are out there to empty our pockets...
and being a business, before you roll out a product to the market, do you study the market first?
(if you dont, u are not fit to run a business)

the market demand is mostly for wussies now... oops.. i mean auto tranny...
:rolleyes:

not everyone live in KL true, but does the number of people outside KL translate into sales for the manual tranny CFE? my money is not... and if the demand is so low, why waste resource into this?
(proton is not in a position to throw money around anyway. worst now that DRB-Hicom is their new owner. every cents spent must be justified with returns)

exactly, people who love manual will buy manual, that I agree but my point is JUST HOW MANY of the manual tranny buyers out there to justify a production line just for this?
(to make it simple, if you know your product A is not going to sell in large numbers, are you still going to waste resources in producing it?)

One of the reason the manual preve is not selling well is the lack of accessories compared to the auto CFE version. Airbags, TC, ESC, BA, ISOFIX missing from the MT version.

Parents with small child need booster seat are forced to buy the higher end version because of ISOFIX. So MT disadvantage there-it is unappealing
my point is same as above. IF there is a manual CFE, do you think it will sell enough to recover the investment cost within a stipulated time frame (for cars is usually 5-7 years +/- before the next model change)?

specs is one thing but IS IT the main factor?
:shakehands:

mystvearn83

Known Member
Oct 5, 2008
True. Maybe to increase sales, accessories should be placed on the MT car-to make it more appealing.

Well, true MT will just have to go to the SNR3 then. Which is currently out of production?

kcng

500 RPM
Jun 24, 2008
Selangor
kcng1983.blogspot.com
True. Maybe to increase sales, accessories should be placed on the MT car-to make it more appealing.

Well, true MT will just have to go to the SNR3 then. Which is currently out of production?
yes true.... more features should be thrown in to make it more appealing and back to the topic..
IF there is a MT CFE, bulk of the sales will come from densely populated areas like klang valley and this again will raise the excuse.. aiyah, klang valley jam gila... manual sure die....

as "bodoh" as proton is, i dont think their marketing will be that "bodoh" to think that the sales figure from outskirts will justify the cost invested right?

do u know, once upon a time, manual car cost more then automatics?
but now is the opposite?

the SNR3 is a good bargain at its 80k price range for a new car, if u stick a H badge on the SNR3, confirm it will sell double the number instantly..... just look at the amount of CRZ on the road now...
its crazy i tell u... so much so that i see more CR-Z then accord... literally speaking...

and now the CVT version is introduced, the number will just climb even further, cementing my views that the newer generation drivers are wussies... HA HA HA

not only SNR3 is no more, even the satria neo and to a certain extend, the exora (need confirmation) production was stopped to concentrate on preve and now there is an oversupply of preve, really...

there is news that satria neo will have the production resumed in the coming months with some updated specs (not sure what) and a newer SNR3 coming up after that...
no CFE on the neo tho because of the cost involved... *see, cost again*

LOL

Last edited:

mystvearn83

Known Member
Oct 5, 2008
Fortunately, I don't stay in Klang Valley, and don't care about AT:P

Well, putting isofix seats, 2 more airbags in manual car does not increase the cost that much.

kcng

500 RPM
Jun 24, 2008
Selangor
kcng1983.blogspot.com
Fortunately, I don't stay in Klang Valley, and don't care about AT:P

Well, putting isofix seats, 2 more airbags in manual car does not increase the cost that much.
ahhhh.... great for u
no mega jams for u to waste your time in.....

true, putting isofix seats, 2 more airbags or 4 more airbags wont increase the cost by much since the car makers supposedly have quantity on their side...

question here is, how many of the MT units can they move (within a certain period) to justify this?

:D

chicken or egg situation...
:rofl:

mystvearn83

Known Member
Oct 5, 2008
Well, if Proton has so much Getrag MT stock, I'd say pretty soon they will be offering Preve MT with more equipment.

Yes good for me;p house-work 5 min by motobike. 15 min by car-due to traffic lights

kcng

500 RPM
Jun 24, 2008
Selangor
kcng1983.blogspot.com
Well, if Proton has so much Getrag MT stock, I'd say pretty soon they will be offering Preve MT with more equipment.

Yes good for me;p house-work 5 min by motobike. 15 min by car-due to traffic lights
gah... 5 mins by motobike.....
:banghead::banghead::banghead:

adding in equipment will be much easier then re-engineering a powertrain + drivetrain combo....

well, u can be on track to say that they will offer preve MT with more equipment but it should be on the current IAFM+ model tho... unless i am wrong and DRB-Hicom want to throw money into re-engineering a manual CFE la... hehehe...
:rofl:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hii all....

Currently i'm using Michiba 4350K/55w (Super White) bulbs in my headlamp. However, izzit will damage the plastic cover and reflector of the headlamp (plastic type) for long term use??Hope someone can give advice. :angel_smile:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience