Mythbuster/Does-it-work? Spark plug cables

Hartge

Nov 4, 2005
for an NA to increase 8 to 10 ps is no easy task. Then again i've heard that dynojet and dynodynamics yield a 20% difference , so in the event you 1st dyno in dynodynamics , then go dyno again in dynojet ( similar car ) doesnt mean u gain 20% power

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
for an NA to increase 8 to 10 ps is no easy task. Then again i've heard that dynojet and dynodynamics yield a 20% difference , so in the event you 1st dyno in dynodynamics , then go dyno again in dynojet ( similar car ) doesnt mean u gain 20% power
That's why I go back to the same place I did the 1st dyno. I'm not particular about the result, just the difference in results when comparing is interesting!

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
They're loaners. I'm returning them. F-O-C.

Correct. If the Best ICable was worse than stock, it would've stuttered after 1st time installation. But since (my assumption) it's better than stock, current (at that time) ECU state still worked fine except it could have worked even better if it readapted. Having left my car to adapt for a month, going back to stock instantly there was a power loss. If the cables hadn't provided some performance gain my car wouldn't have lost that much power.

And that's also why I'm keen to re-do the dyno. I'm expecting significant improvement in figures. And agreed again, + or - 5% is acceptable tolerances when doing a dyno so I won't judge 5% increase as a performance gain. Only if it's significantly more like perhaps 8 to 10 ps then I'll consider it a performance gain.

Right now though, butt dyno tells me stock cable is crap even after adapting!

Item #2, I'm not sure. I'd be interested to know who would have bought into his product too.
Fair observation, and agreeable. Looking forward to your dyno, since numbers walk the talk.

Personally I won't invest so much in cables since over time they will corrode/oxidize.. and more interested in active spark amplifiers such as those that raise the voltage for spark plugs or something like okada projects.. not sure how those works.

drjoe

Mar 19, 2012
Johor Bahru
oh ya.. forgot to include plug cable in my 1st stage modification.. hehe..

anyway, it's good to have an aftermarket plug cable.. but u also need an aftermarket distributor and/or coil to go with it as well :wink:

Air + Fuel + Spark = Power

More Air + More Fuel + More Spark = More Power

:biggrin:
In my opinion, the first stage modification should consider to choose a suitable spark plug cable, which determines the spark energy for the engine.

As in the Dynamometers Testing of engine types with various designs of ignition system, for examples, carburetor, Coil- Distributor and Advanced Injection. BEST I Cable had been tested as a direct replacement of OEM cable (use OEM distributor and coil) without adjusting of any ignition parameters showed higher LAMBDA value (Air / fuel ratio) at all engine variable speed (2000 -7000 RPM) which means improved the fuel combustion efficiency, that in line with its strong spark energy of BEST I Cable, which gives faster conversion of burning fuel to vehicle power, no misfire, quicker acceleration, smooth and quiet idling. It provides the best support for the high out-put engine, and reduces the risk of engine over-hauling, maximize the service life of the Coil, Spark Plug and Catalytic Converter.

---------- Post added at 01:45 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:34 AM ----------

visit the best-itech.com, the success stories of the Technical Bulletin.

---------- Post added at 01:57 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:45 AM ----------

Fair observation, and agreeable. Looking forward to your dyno, since numbers walk the talk.

Personally I won't invest so much in cables since over time they will corrode/oxidize.. and more interested in active spark amplifiers such as those that raise the voltage for spark plugs or something like okada projects.. not sure how those works.
I agree the cable with metal conductor will corrode / oxidize, but BEST I Cable does not use metallic conductor. Cable does not contain electronic component. Spark amplifiers electronic device may deteriorate after performance ageing under high under-hood temperature. It still rely a spark plug cable to conduct the high voltage current for the spark plug.

lkeong88

Known Member
Nov 1, 2009
Cheras
Erm, I don't understand your lambda part. If lambda higher, AFR = higher rite?
If AFR high means you are running lean
When you lean out, you have more heat than usual
When you have more heat than usual, you ignite your fuel before it can spark hence knocking?
Then furthermore, if you rev high, the high heat = piston meltdown?

Surely if you use a car which the mixture is rich (most stock ecu) you may feel its a bit laggy, but its to increase the lifespan of the engine. But yours lean it out? Then the ECU eventually will compensate (of course up to a certain extent). Then that may explain why when Izso put back the stock cables it started to feel like dying because the engine i choking on too much fuel?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
lkeong88 : interesting theory. Meaning my car has been pumping in more fuel to compensate for the higher lambda readings? Having said that however my FC did not decrease. Still at my usual 13km/L to 15km/L range.

drjoe

Mar 19, 2012
Johor Bahru
Erm, I don't understand your lambda part. If lambda higher, AFR = higher rite?
If AFR high means you are running lean
When you lean out, you have more heat than usual
When you have more heat than usual, you ignite your fuel before it can spark hence knocking?
Then furthermore, if you rev high, the high heat = piston meltdown?

Surely if you use a car which the mixture is rich (most stock ecu) you may feel its a bit laggy, but its to increase the lifespan of the engine. But yours lean it out? Then the ECU eventually will compensate (of course up to a certain extent). Then that may explain why when Izso put back the stock cables it started to feel like dying because the engine i choking on too much fuel?
LAMBDA data is recorded at the exhaust of the car during the Dyno test, not before the exhaust. LAMDA data is therefore a measure of the fuel combustion efficiency. BEST I Cable has higher LAMBA data than stock cable throughout the complete spectrum of engine speed (2000 - 7000rpm), it can provide better support for the lean burnt engine due to its stronger ignition spark energy. As for lean burnt engine, design of exhaust system will be different to conventional one.

As for the explanation of Izso's observation, its more easy for the ECU to adapt improvement during the swifting of the stock cable to BEST I Cable, however, the actual feel of power improvement will be gradual until the ECU shall be fully adjusted according to the property of BEST I Cable. During the swifting of BEST I Cable back to the stock cable, ECU may be more difficult to adapt from sudden loss of vehicle power. You may say, its more easy for poor guy to adpat rich style of living, however, its quite difficult for rich guy to adapt poor style of living.

lkeong88

Known Member
Nov 1, 2009
Cheras
I still don't understand your Lambda part
I derived my explanation from here:

Air–fuel ratio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I do not mean to offend anyone but since this is a mythbuster, I am more interested in the real science to explain it rather than just hearsay. I am not an engineer or mechanic, but I am a science student, so I am keen on scientific proofs.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
lkeong : so far the discussion is healthy, so no need for apologies. And interesting discussion. Perhaps this just a matter of terminology?

drjoe

Mar 19, 2012
Johor Bahru
I still don't understand your Lambda part
I derived my explanation from here:

Air–fuel ratio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I do not mean to offend anyone but since this is a mythbuster, I am more interested in the real science to explain it rather than just hearsay. I am not an engineer or mechanic, but I am a science student, so I am keen on scientific proofs.
I am a scientist. You can read from the textbook related to automotive engineering, its well being recognized :
1) Air / Fuel ratio ( about 14.7 :1) keeps where LAMBDA =1; wherein the Catalytic Converter to function the best for emission.
2) Air / Fuel ratio of 12 - 13: 1 seemed to maximise the power performance.
3) Air / fuel ration of 15 - 16:1 seemed to be minimum fuel consumption, in this case, the Manifold and Muffler shall be designed to reduce the back pressure due to the input and exhaust air.

In most of engine design, Air / fuel ratio is keep below 14.7:1, and the ideal LAMBDA value is 1 for environmental issue. BEST I Cable improved the LAMBDA data, but without exceeding value of 1.

I hope that explain what you want to know.

---------- Post added 03-22-2012 at 01:19 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was 03-21-2012 at 10:29 PM ----------

Item #1
Would it be safe to say that the ECU was NOT adapted to the stock cables thus the sputtering, slower revving and sluggishness?

a cable that measures the same, would perform the same. a cable that doesn't, well, doesn't perform similarly. being different doesn't necessarily means better.

also, its safe to assume there's a margin of error between dyno runs, maybe +/- 5%? I'm not sure as I don't own one, but its standard for any measurement device.

Item #2
You mentioned the creator approach OEMs, so is any car manufacturer using it? Just curious.

A few car manufacturers showed the interest in BEST I Cable.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I plan 2 get a new car soon. I've also identified a used number plate that I want 2 register onto my new car.

The situation is d used number is on a bike n the owner is only willing 2 sell me d number but not d bike. I thought of registering a new number 4 d bike, but does that free up the old number? Even if it does, 2 whom does d old number belong 2?Can I use it 2 register my new car?Sounds confusing rite?

Any idea hw do I go about this?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience