Involuntarily volunteered experiment

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

A good friend the other day took the opportunity to 'volunteer' my car to test a gadget he had fashioned out of aluminum and some rubber. A certain car club had one trader that made one out of some really cheap materials and promised the sky, moon and the earth with his RM150 miracle device. The funny thing is it probably was worth RM5 or less to make.

So involuntarily, I obliged since he had already fisted the damn contraption into my airbox. I'm not an advocate of contraptions that promises a thousand different things from more power to better fuel consumption. In my opinion if you want more power, slap in a forced induction kit. You want better fuel consumption put a brick behind the accelerator pedal. End of story.

So essentially I started this test with a biased opinion and wanted it to fail catastrophically. I was not dissapointed.

As you can see from the pictures, the contraption has 6 fins, is held in place with a rubber surround and is very similar to products like Surbo and intake air swirlers. It’s supposed to swirl the air into the intake manifold to force the air in at a higher velocity which results in better combustion.

But logic dictates - since the air intake is 90 degrees to the intake manifold to the engine block, the air flow is going to be disrupted in the manifold itself and probably cause a lot of havoc there. Not only that, because the gadget is in the pathway of the intake, the volume of air going into the intake is decreased. In my case greatly decreased.

I have to point out that my car has had extensive modifications done to it. Even though it’s a pathetic 3-speed auto, I get on average 15km/L fuel consumption for city driving and I eat several different car makes for breakfast (in most cases la) when I try.

So test day #1 : While idling at my friends shop in Bukit Jalil, I immediately noticed my car sputtering when idling with a cold engine. She (my cars female btw) sounded asthmatic and idling was really rough. It improved after the temperature gauge went up.

Acceleration was greatly decreased and you know how it feels when you’re constipated? That’s how the car felt when I was flooring it. What’s worse I got my ass handed to me by a Nissan Livina who thought it was funny to tailgate me.

Test day #2 : First tank of fuel almost completely gone after a whole days worth of driving everywhere and getting overtaken by almost any car that tried. Went in to the gas station and checked my mileage. 9KM/L! What the hell! I yanked that contraption out of the intake and silently cursed my friend for making me try this.

To be fair though, I was revving quite hard to get the car moving. This automatically equates to more fuel wasted to get the same amount of power I normally get without the device. I might have gotten better fuel consumption if I had been more conservative with the gas pedal.

Conclusion :
Cost of gadget : RM150 (or in my case.. on-loan)
Power produced with product : -5 / 10
Fuel consumption with product : 0 / 10 (subjective)
Getting your ass handed to you by a MPV on a straight road… priceless! :thefinger:

Attachments

alpina

Apr 7, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
There are always conmen out there looking for a quick buck. BTW have you checked what numbers you are short of? There are some airhead trying to con me into wearing a Rm1000 copper pendant for good-luck, you must go to the fella for a number maybe your car will be faster and more economical. :stupid:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
:biggrin:

ACQ2305

500 RPM
May 25, 2007
HeadHunters
What about air charger? Some sort of a gadget as well? Seen some friends using it,seems not to bad though...

ftzone

full throttle zone
Feb 21, 2005
Penang, Prai
www.ftzoneracing.com
the surbo thingy.... (there is a fin which spins when the engine sucks air into the combustion chamber) -6whp when peak power...tested on MIVEC turbo on Dastek Dyno. no improvement at all over the RPM range.

MKMD428

500 RPM
Aug 21, 2005
johore
hahahaha 6whp is a lot! plus no improvement at all over the rpm range!

alas the deception and betrayal still continues...

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
awesome experience, haha i bought some stuff like that, but the item broke and scratched my K&N filter, terribly!

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
What about air charger? Some sort of a gadget as well? Seen some friends using it,seems not to bad though...
If someone would be kind enough to pass to me for testing, I'd gladly do my un-scientific test. In fact I might even throw in a dyno test just for the heck of it.

But early diagnosis is this : I've seen my fair share of miracle gadgets. Air leakers / chargers / whatever generally trick your engine into thinking there's more air. But most modern cars have adaptive ECUs. Heck even my 8 year old old Wira running on the Siemens VDO ECU is adaptive. What that means is initial tests will show some improvement in the cars performance but after the ECU adapts, it'll negate the effects of the gadget rendering it useless. It's been tested and proven on my own car with some earlier versions of these air gadgets.

But still - if someone wants to sponsor me one of these devices I'll test it all the same.

ijnek

500 RPM
Aug 19, 2004
Johor Bahru
Visit site
nice 1 izso.

i think the surbo theory is that u need more for it to work even better...LoL

try again with more...rubbish? ...

good test u got there :adore:

KRZ8v

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Aug 31, 2009
KL/Subang Jaya
hahahaha 6whp is a lot! plus no improvement at all over the rpm range!

alas the deception and betrayal still continues...
Hahahahahaaaa....

Same goes with those air charger, microcompressor, cyclone and etc. Thank god my "Cyclone" have sum improvements on it :hehe::biggrin:

intervener

Oct 18, 2008
I have installed Air Charger into four (4) of my family cars i.e. Wira 1.6(A), Waja 1.6(A), Kelisa 1.0(A) and Satria 1.6(M).

The T-Joint for Air Charger must be cut and bolted in the vacum hose after the TB and the Air Charger unit must be installed near the headlamp or the air-cond fan or radiator fan so it can suck more air. Pls do not bolt fix the Air-Charger near the master brake pump.

For the the above cars I have been using the Air-Charger more than 10 years and I have no complaint at all.

I am sill keeping an eye on all new Air-Charger products in the market and lately I found that most (if not all) Air-Charger in the market cannot be opened and cleaned compared to earlier day Air-Charger.

The Air Charger need to be opened and cleaned periodically and I normally clean mine whenever I service the cars as dusts and dirts will cloaked the Air Charger intake and this will of course affect its effectiveness.

The Air Charger must be washed and upon washing it must use the air-gun to dry it. If you clean the Air-Charger constantly you can feel the additional powers and better FC especially at night when cooler air been sucked into the engine via Air Charger.

To test whether Air-Charger (after cleaning) is effective or not first you must block the Air-Charger intake by wrapping it with cloth and use it until re-fill and upon re-fill you remove the cloth and use it until the next re-fill then you will get the answer.

Beside cleaning you must also constantly check whether there is a leak in the Air-Charger hose as this will also affect the performance.

Good Luck for all Air Charger users.

---------- Post added at 03:48 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

I have installed Air Charger into four (4) of my family cars i.e. Wira 1.6(A), Waja 1.6(A), Kelisa 1.0(A) and Satria 1.6(M).

The T-Joint for Air Charger must be cut and bolted in the vacum hose after the TB and the Air Charger unit must be installed near the headlamp or the air-cond fan or radiator fan so it can suck more air. Pls do not bolt fix the Air-Charger near the master brake pump.

For the the above cars I have been using the Air-Charger more than 10 years and I have no complaint at all.

I am sill keeping an eye on all new Air-Charger products in the market and lately I found that most (if not all) Air-Charger in the market cannot be opened and cleaned compared to earlier day Air-Charger.

The Air Charger need to be opened and cleaned periodically and I normally clean mine whenever I service the cars as dusts and dirts will cloaked the Air Charger intake and this will of course affect its effectiveness.

The Air Charger must be washed and upon washing it must use the air-gun to dry it. If you clean the Air-Charger constantly you can feel the additional powers and better FC especially at night when cooler air been sucked into the engine via Air Charger.

To test whether Air-Charger (after cleaning) is effective or not first you must block the Air-Charger intake by wrapping it with cloth and use it until re-fill and upon re-fill you remove the cloth and use it until the next re-fill then you will get the answer.

Beside cleaning you must also constantly check whether there is a leak in the Air-Charger hose as this will also affect the performance.

---------- Post added at 03:51 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:48 PM ----------

ftzone

full throttle zone
Feb 21, 2005
Penang, Prai
www.ftzoneracing.com
could you guys believe that by installing a voltage stabilizer you can increase horse power?

Notoriez

Mar 27, 2006
There is NO such thing as voltage stabilizer will increase WHP dramatically...

But i must say that a good VS MIGHT improve your car electricity delivery (especially for cars more than 5 years when it's wiring has been degraded)...so you will notice brighter headlamps, sound system improved abit and that's all nothing else. Performance wise, perhaps your ECU will get more electric current (so you feel your car more responsive?) but that im not sure...

Those 'toyol' things that claims IMPROVEMENT in terms of performance is pure BS. Seen few products (even the famous one in LYN) tested in DYNO. Not so surprisingly, there is no even minor improvement @ all.

What i was thinking about all this product is that it might improve your car throttle response ABIT (hence foot lighter on the pedal) so it saves fuel. So in the end of the day, the FC main enemy is your own RIGHT foot.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
ftzone...

for now never...

yet untill i watch the dyno run with my own eyes :biggrin:

(*and not on single specific cars..but with other random cars/ride/drive also)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys,

i was just wonderin' wer i can get those PU mounting & how much will it cost me & wat will a normal wan cost? i can choose not 2 change all the mounting at once rite?

any1 did diy mounting b4?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience