The Malaysia Merdeka Endurance Race 2012 is back, with many looking to redeem themselves from last year’s race after having missed out on finishing on the podium, especially after a long and gruelling 12 hours. But come 1st September 2012, the flag will fall at noon to signal the start of the 13 edition of the MMER 2012!
The 13th edition of the MMER this year will be flagged off at noon on 1st September 2012 and hopefully, much like the duo of Petronas Syntium Team Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3 machines of last year, they will be able to set a new record fast-lap.
Clear favourites this year will be team Petronas Syntium with their Mercedes-Benz SLS AG GT3 machines. This year, Farique Hairuman will be spear-heading the team’s endeavours for the top step on the podium, especially when he was robbed of winning the race in 2009, only to take second due to mechanical failure. However, last year he managed a respectable 3rd place, but the top-step still remains an elusive goal.
Although there are three main classes that comprises of the GT Class, Sports Production and Touring Production, this year sees the inclusion of a fourth class – a new GT-X class, which allows for non-homologated GT and Sport Production cars to enter into the endurance race.
However, the main attraction may lie in the Touring Production Class, which sees the likes of the country’s top racing teams – JC Racing, Type R Racing and Wing Hing Motorsports challenged the defending champions – ST Powered of Singapore.
The private battles of Eddy Lew, Boy Wong Yew Choong, Kenny Lee, Desmond Soh, Perajun Krishnan, Harry Chai and many more have always provided plenty on-track excitement within the Malaysian motorsports arena, and especially so during the 12-hour battle at Sepang for the prestigious Malaysia Merdeka Endurance Race trophy.
Other than teams battling it out on the track, it seems that tyre wars will soon be erupting with Michelin and Hankook looking to help their respective teams get to the end as the clock winds down to the 12th hour, hoping to raise the beautifully crafted Tiffany and Co. trophy at the end of it all.
PODIUM WINNERS OF 2011 MALAYSIA MERDEKA ENDURANCE RACE
1. Nobuteru Taniguchi/MasatakaYanagida/Dominic Ang (MERCEDES-BENZ SLS AMG GT3) – PETRONAS SYNTIUM TEAM (321 laps)
2. Frank Biela/Marcel Fassler/Marco Werner (Audi R8) – Belgian Audi Club (321 laps)
3. Tatsuya Kataoka/Fariqe Hairuman/Bernd Schneider (MERCEDES-BENZ SLS AMG GT3) – PETRONAS SYNTIUM TEAM (315 laps)
1. Adrian D’ Silva/M.Fahrizal/Ian Ross Geekie (Aston Martin Vantage) – Nexus Racing Team (277 laps)
2. Patrick Ng/Khoo Kay Hong/ ChyeAo Hsiang (Lotus 2-11) (256 laps)
3. Shinichi Hyodo/Steven Chian/Kaziki Hiramane(Honda S2000) – Tracy Sports (217 laps)
1. The Kian Boon/Aloysius Lek/Desmond Soh (Honda Civic FD2-R) – ST Powered (274 laps)
2. Wong Yew Choong/SohKee Koon / Lai Wee Sing (Honda Civic FD2 Mugen) – Type R Racing Team (273 laps)
3. Kenny Lee/Chris O’Shannessy/Wan Weng Yan (Toyota Altezza) – Wing Hin Motorsports (267 laps)