The All-New Honda Jazz was launched in a splendid event befitting such a young and talented model. It’s a great looking car really, I like how it evolves from the first generation Jazz to take on its current fiester design though a wider colour option would have better rather than just four choices.
The three ‘aerodynamic’ lines running across the bonnet give the Jazz a low-slung, ultra cool modern city cruiser look which is good because that’s what the Jazz is supposed to be and it’s great that it looks the part as well. What’s more is that the curves and trailing roof design effectively improves aerodynamic by reducing air pressure and fuel efficiency.
The new Jazz is not that much bigger than its predecessor but through creative designing, or what Honda calls “Super Forward Design”, the cabin now features an ingenious layout that increases spaciousness equivalent to an average medium sized sedan. Interior quality is just that but Honda’s determination in putting its man maximum, machine minimum concept to use which calls for maximising the space available for humans and minimising the space occupied by mechanical components. This is evident in the thinner A-pillars that improve driver visibility along with a larger windshield and integrated headrests. And for current Jazz owners to sulk about, the steering wheel is actually adjustable for both tilt and telescopic unlike the first generation which was only telescopic.
Powered by Honda’s newly developed 1.5-liter i-Vtec engine, the new Jazz develops 120PS at 6,600rpm and max torque of 14.8kg-m is available at 4,800rpm. This coupled with the new 5-speed auto transmission offers excellent performance and fuel efficiency. All this while being a versatile utility vehicle that meets Euro4 emissions levels and comes with a variety of features like 10 cup-holders, the new Jazz truly defies convention. Here’s the fact sheet on the new Jazz.
- Sporty styling, yet spacious cabin.
- A car with a powerful response, yet fuel-efficient.
- A car that can zip in and out of narrow congested roads; yet able to fit all your friends for a night out.
- The All-New Jazz is powered by Honda’s newly developed 1.5-liter i-VTEC engine, which combines with 5-speed Automatic Transmission (5AT) to offer excellent drivability, performance and fuel-efficiency.
- With an output of 120PS power at 6,600rpm, the All-New Jazz offers a maximum torque of 14.8kg-m at 4,800rpm, delivering instant exhilaration and a powerful ride.
- The engine is also equipped with Grade Logic Control to create optimum and efficient transmission for effortless uphill driving and with an active lock up system technology to give time for shorter transmission and faster acceleration while shifting gear.
- The i-VTEC engine is supported by the Drive-by Wire Throttle System, whereby every pressure to acceleration pedal is transferred to the computer through electric signal that will control acceleration pedal valve for maximum acceleration precision while maintaining fuel efficiency. It also helps to prevent shock from sudden acceleration or parking maneuver.
- Shift Hold System is applied on the All-New Jazz reduces unwanted gear shifts for more responsive and linear acceleration on winding roads and other similar situations.
- Grade S: 1.5-litre i-VTEC, 120PS:
– Grade S offers all the essential features of the All-New Jazz.
- Grade V: 1.5-litre i-VTEC, 120PS:
– Grade V variant offers additional features including:
-Sporty design front and rear bumper
-Side sill garnish
-Exhaust pipe finisher
-Retractable door mirror with turn light
-Dual mode paddle shift
-Leather steering wheel and gear knob
-Steering wheel with audio control and cruise control
-16” alloy wheels
- Front design:
– The All-New Jazz applies three aerodynamic lines with the bonnet stretching forward.
– The front bumper grill with trapezoid shape expresses stability and
wideness of the lower body.
– Forward cabin concept is more emphasized by extending headlights
to the A-pillar base expresses a face with coolness.
– The hexagon design honeycomb grill further enhance the car’s sporty
look and stability.
- Side design:
– The curve and trailing down roof design improves the aerodynamic level by reducing air pressure and fuel efficiency.
- Rear design:
– The dynamic rear design is projected with the protruding muscle fender and underbody.
– The sharp line and V-shaped tailgate reflects a powerful and fresh image of All-New Jazz.
– The combination design rear light with protruding turn signal and back light is designed to improve aerodynamics.
– The front pillar has been moved forward to create exhilarating effects on both exterior styling and interior space.
– The advanced super-forward form enhances the aerodynamic and energetic appearance of the car.
– The All-New Jazz is available in 4 colours:
1. Cerulean Blue Metallic
2. Alabaster Silver Metallic
3. Taffeta White
4. Crystal Black Pearl (available from November 2008 onwards)
- The All-New Jazz is 3,900mm in length, 1,695mm in width, and 1,525mm in height.
- Due to the super forward design, the cabin features an ingenious layout that increase spaciousness equivalent to an average medium-sized sedan, providing passengers a natural feeling of comfort.
- Driver visibility has also been improved – with thinner A-pillars, an extended and larger windshield as well as integrated rear headrests designed to provide unparalleled rear visibility.
- The advanced and sporty stereoscopic speedometer features a large Vehicle Information Display (VID) providing of a broad range of information including current fuel consumption and range indication.
- The tilt and telescopic steering wheel and rachet-operated seat height adjuster offer the driver more comfortable driving position.
- While the improved seats give added comfort, the drive is quieter thanks to the enhanced noise and vibration reduction.
- The All-New Jazz has a new user-friendly integrated audio system which is now designed within eyesight and easy to reach by the driver. The audio system is MP3/ WMA compatible and comes with vehicle speed-sensitive volume control system (SVC).
Body & Chassis
- Thanks to its new suspension and lightweight rigid body, the All-New Jazz delivers good fuel efficiency.
- Smooth riding pleasure – The new suspension minimises roll and maximises stability for a more relaxing ride.
- The finely tuned geometry also contributes to easier, more linear breaking.
- A wider tread and greater knee clearance is allowed with the increased wheelbase at 2,500mm.
- The improved Electric Power Steering Motor enhances steering response and feel during any driving situation.
– The refined McPherson Strut front suspension offers a more comfortable ride to occupants especially when driving over uneven roads.
– The increased caster trail provides improved straight line stability in terms of handling the vehicle.
– The newly designed H-shaped torsion beam and reduced rear spring lever ratio improves car stability and ride comfort to make sure that you have a very delightful driving experience in the All-New Jazz.
Low noise and vibration – its body is fortified to enhance rigidity. This solid construction reduces noise and vibration, giving a quiet and refreshing ride even during high-speed cruising.
- Matching capacity with practicality, Honda’s revolutionary ULTRA Seat has been improved and provides a variety of seating and trunk utilities that maximise seating flexibility and cargo space.
- This includes extension of space and usage via the enhanced ULTRA Seat, which operates in the Utility, Long and Tall modes:
– Utility Mode: With a simple “one-motion dive down” operation of rear seats, luggage space can be extended to a maximum length of 1,720mm.
– Long Mode: The front passenger seat can be fully reclined to create a space of up to 2,400mm long to carry long objects.
– Tall Mode: The rear seats can be folded up to offer roof height of 1,280mm for tall items.
- It offers a wide range of easy-to-use storage space of 380 litres including 10 well-positioned cup holders, supporting the versatile configurations inside the cabin.
- The All-New Jazz has a newly designed rear under seat box for the convenience of storing personal items.
- The safety performance of the All-New Jazz comes with the revolutionary G-CON Technology with body structure, designed to spread out and disperse collision impact so as to limit cabin intrusion to effectively minimise driver and passengers as well as pedestrian injuries.
- It also incorporates Honda’s Advanced Compatibility Engineering (ACE) Body Technology that produces enhanced self protection and better compatibility with vehicles of different sizes.
- It is also fitted with Dual SRS Airbags, ABS system, Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist (BA).
- The All-New Jazz is proven to fulfill the highest security standard in its class and awarded 6 stars from Japan New Car Assessment Program (JNCAP).
- In terms of environmental friendliness, all variants have been designed to meet the EURO 4 emission level.
Theft prevention immobilizer system:
– It is a system that releases a warning by horn and flashing of the hazard lamps when the system detects unauthorised entry into the vehicle or the opening of the door or hood.
Engine: 1,497cc SOHC 16-valve i-VTEC
Max power: 118hp @ 6,600rpm
Max torque: 145Nm @ 4,800rpm
Transmission: 5-speed automatic w/ Shift Hold Control
Features: Dual airbags, ABS, EBD, brake assist, front pretensioner seatbelt
RM104,800 (S edition) and RM109,800 (V edition) OTR with insurance